Older custom scenarios converted to 4.6.278

Post new maps, scenarios, estabs and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

midgard30

Older custom scenarios converted to 4.6.278

Post by midgard30 »

Hi,

Update: I restructured the folders, so you can unzip it in the parent folder of "Battle from the Bulge". Open the zip file and select the parent folder as the extraction folder (usually "Matrix\"

While converting some HTTR scenarios, I decided to learn a bit more about the editors. So I converted these older players' scenarios to version 4.6.278:

- Battle for the Toul Bridgehead V4
- Battle of Nancy V3
- Epsom
- Epsom Phase 4
- Melee at Mill
- Pont-a-Mousson Bridgehead
- St. Lo
- Stabilizing the XII Corps
- The Crucial Bridges
- The French Arrive
- The Woensdrecht Isthmus
- Wingen-sur-Moder (4 scenarios from Jan 2nd to 7th)

Scenarios: all saved for .278,
Maps: Terrain table were recalculated. Map cache was generated but won't be provided as they are too big to post here. If someone knows a place where I can deposit them without having to create an account, I'll do it. Generating cache is a long process.
Estab: errors have been fixed, files recompiled, and image folders created.

Note:
* You'll need to install the original files first, as modders may have included other ones that didn't need to be converted and were not included in this pack. You can find the original scenarios in the sticky thread "BftB Community Scenarios Index".
* I tried to be as careful as I could fixing the Estabs, but I don't guaranty there's no mistake. All errors were due to strings written differently from the latest version, in the unit sub-type parameter.
* Some scenarios (only) have been renamed for my convenience, and consequently, don't have their exact original name.
* A couple of scenarios can't be opened in the editor as it crashes every time, but they can be played whitout any problem.
Attachments
CustomScen.._4_6_278.zip
(8.74 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
Phoenix100

RE: Older custom scenarios converted to 4.6.278

Post by Phoenix100 »

Many thanks macob. Will take the lot with gratitude.

Forgive my utter stupidity, but you've provided a superb folder to merge with the relevant game folders (thanks again!), but can you remind me how I do that, please? Do I unzip your zip into the root command ops folder, or into a lower level folder? Or do I unzip somewhere else then drag each separate folder into the folder one above its namesake? Sorry.
springel

Post by springel »

Yesterday I have been playing 'Melee at Mill' with version 4.6.278, with the map explicitly converted, and I saw no obvious abnormalities.

Would it be different when I used your version, and how would I notice abnormalities?
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

and how would I notice abnormalities
I think if it's not converted then some troops are modelled with longer noses and flatter heads, Springel. It has an effect when they duck to avoid MG fire, and sometimes when they are on recon and sniffing their way through obstructions. You'll get a message in the log saying they've halted due to odour. It's not a game breaker though.

But seriously - I'm interested in your question too. How does it show up? I had thought that it either didn't work or it did, and if it didn't it crashes. Could be wrong.
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Forgive my utter stupidity, but you've provided a superb folder to merge with the relevant game folders (thanks again!), but can you remind me how I do that, please? Do I unzip your zip into the root command ops folder, or into a lower level folder? Or do I unzip somewhere else then drag each separate folder into the folder one above its namesake? Sorry.

The folder structure doesn't correspond to the game folders structure. For instance, "My Scenarios" is a sub-folder of the "Scenarios" game folder.

Open the zip file in a regular window and drag and drop each BftB folders (Maps, Estabs, My Scenarios) in their respective parent folder). It won't delete files already present, but will overwrites the ones with the same name, in the case these scenarios would already be installed.

I won't have time today, but eventually, I'll provide a new zip file restructured according to the game folder structure.

midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

I think if it's not converted then some troops are modelled with longer noses and flatter heads, Springel. It has an effect when they duck to avoid MG fire, and sometimes when they are on recon and sniffing their way through obstructions. You'll get a message in the log saying they've halted due to odour. It's not a game breaker though.
[:D]
Would it be different when I used your version, and how would I notice abnormalities?

I absolutely don't know! My knowledge is limited to the open/save/compile functions of the editors. If you already installed some of these scenarios, and they work fine, I don't think there's any need to re-install them nor should it creates problems if you do.

For someone who never converted these scenarios, those using Holland44-45Estab, M40Estab and NormEstab will work and there are no more long loading time for maps. What I did in the Estab file, is to correct the unit sub-type strings that have changed from previous versions. While I tried to be as careful as I could, I don't guaranty that I didn't do any mistake in the process (i.e. a unit may have a wrong subtype). There's was like hundreds of errors in these Estab files.

With the original Estab files, moders have also provided a folder called NameEstab_Images that I haven't. I will probably include them next time.

While trying some scenarios, I noticed a red message appearing in the log saying that terrain table were recalculated. So I guess to be sure that every scenarios are properly converted, a cache and a new terrain table should be generated in the MapMaker. I wanted to provide the cache files with the maps, but they are too big to be posted on the forum.
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

Hi phoenix,

I uploaded a new zip file structured like BftB. See initial post for details.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Cheers, Macob.
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Thank you very much!!
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
midgard30

Post by midgard30 »

My pleasure!

[8D]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”