Call to Arms

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Raindem

Call to Arms

Post by Raindem »

After two years in development I’m finally able to release my newest scenario, Call to Arms. It can be found over at the RD site: http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... ll-to-Arms.
Call to Arms covers the entire American Revolution, and let me tell you it was a bear to make. Tile and database modifications are not my strong suits but I had to do plenty of both here. It's not enough to come up with semi-accurate OOB's and toss them on a map. I wanted it to "feel" right for the period.

The basic scenario data is as follows:

Turns: 129
Turn Scale: 1 month
Calendar: April 1775 to December 1785
Map: Colonial America, Canada, map-edge staging areas for Halifax, West Indies, and Cuba
Map scale: 5km
Forces: British, Hessian, Loyalist, Indian, American, French, and Spanish
Basic Unit size: Regiment/Battalion
Basic Formation size: Brigade
Enhancements: Modified XIX Century database, terrain and unit tiles
Scenario Version: 1.0
TOAW Version: 3.4
Play modes: Hotseat, PBEM, American PO, British PO

Notwithstanding the 5km scale, the scenario is a strategic level simulation. Here's a few of the features I put in to help capture the essence of the conflict:

1. American militia have withdrawal events which withdraw the unit when it’s enlistment period is up.
2. The British have additional units that can be called in from other theatres.
3. The Event Engine Variable (EEV) is used to trigger French and Spanish involvement.
4. Enhanced weather effects occur during winter turns to reflect the period doctrine of suspending the campaign during winter months.
5. There is an extended game option. If a victory is not achieved by 1782 then the game will continue until 1785, or until one side achieves a certain victory level, whichever comes first.
6. Supply modifications to reflect the period. Loss of British naval units will reduce British supply, while capture/loss of ports will affect American supply. American foundries are also represented and their capture by the British will reduce American replacements.
7. Indians allied to the British are fully represented, to include conditions for activation and withdrawal. Tribes allied with the Patriots are also represented.
8. Heavily modified graphic tiles for unit icons and certain terrain features give the scenario a visual twist.

I used about 800 events trying to simulate what I felt were essential characteristics of that unique war. Make sure to read the full briefing, Call to Arms.doc, before playing the scenario. Hope you enjoy it and feel free to email me with comments or suggestions. I'm especially interested to hear from any Revolutionary War buffs out there.

Curt
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.
josant

RE: Call to Arms

Post by josant »

Good scenario and map, thanks.
JA
rgflores

Post by rgflores »

Great news!
Just a question, is possible to play alone?
berto

Post by berto »

Would you please post zoomed-in map examples displaying the "heavily modified" graphics tiles?

Will there be (is there) an AAR?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

ORIGINAL: rgflores

Great news!
Just a question, is possible to play alone?
Yes, the PO is enabled for both sides.
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

ORIGINAL: berto

Would you please post zoomed-in map examples displaying the "heavily modified" graphics tiles?

Will there be (is there) an AAR?
Here's the latest AAR. There are plenty of screen shots in it.

tm.asp?m=2705926

sedmi patuljak

Post by sedmi patuljak »

Great mod...I have been reading aars for some time now and eagerly awaiting to play myself..
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

Wow, this is awesome. I cannot wait to give this scenario a go. Thank you for your hard work and sharing this scenario with us.
Kind Regards,

Harry
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Thanks.  Hope you guys like it.
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Call to Arms has been updated. Worked on some playbalance issues and made some map modifications. Plays well with TOAW 3.4x. You can find it over at Rugged Defense. Enjoy

http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... ll-to-Arms

Curt
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Curt,

Many thanks.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I started this one up as the Americans against the PO. Well, I don't know anything about the subject matter and I only perused the briefing, but anyway I'll say I definately lost the first go at it as I quit after 18 turns because I was being being murdalized. So I restarted with a plan and had some fun with some aggravation, especially at one point when I thought I was doing ok but then I got brutalized by some British attacks plus hordes of unfriendly Indians.

I found the British impossible to beat even when I thought I had overwhelming odds, so I resorted to the normal TOAW method of conquest by working poor Elmer out of supply but even that wasn't easy. I had one British unit surrounded for ten turns before I attacked, and I still couldn't evap him, then he counterattacked and got away. grr.

It ended on t76 with a victory for me, I guess because I had gained control over everything south of New Jersey. This was fun and I hope I get time to do it again in the future, but it reminded me of the old AH 1776 game, not because they are similar scenarios, but because of the subject. So I'm looking into reproducing that oldie.

Thanks for the scenario Curt, I'll send you any sal files if you want them.

Edit - Oh, the game calendar is wrong, t76 is actually June 1781. Curt put in an on map display to keep track of 'scenario time' as opposed to 'TOAW time'.

Attachments
CtA1.jpg
CtA1.jpg (85.97 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

Thanks for the report. Always interested to see how players approach the scenario. 18th century armies had a limited ability to live off the land so I adjusted TOAW supply parameters accordingly, within their allowed ranges. As for playbalance, that's always a tough one. Historically, the British did knock the Americans around pretty good for the first few years and that's reflected in the scenario. I wanted to create a situation where to win, the Americans had to chip away at British military power instead of directly challenging it.

Curt
sealclubber

Post by sealclubber »

The flexibility of the TOAW game engine knows no boundaries... I'm half expecting someone to produce a Lord of the Rings scenario.

I'm going to give this a shot against the PO when the opportunity arises.
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: sealclubber

The flexibility of the TOAW game engine knows no boundaries... I'm half expecting someone to produce a Lord of the Rings scenario.

LoR? Duh. HERE! And it does not look bad either...
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: governato

ORIGINAL: sealclubber

LoR? Duh. HERE! And it does not look bad either...

Linky is not quite correct; look under "scenarios", then "other", then "SF", then "War of the Rings"
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I wanted to create a situation where to win, the Americans had to chip away at British military power instead of directly challenging it.

Well, you did succeed in this. Initially I set up a nice defense of New York, and I was depressingly wiped out there in 2 turns. So I set up a line in New Jersey, but had learned my lesson and retreated to Pennsylvania as soon as it got hot. Elmer couldn't crack the Pa. line. With the help of the French I was able to eventually advance from there back into NJ (as seen in the previous screen shot), but not with direct assaults. I had to surround his units to have any chance of eliminating them. So I think what you did worked out well.

I should mention one thing, in my first play (where I lost in 18 turns) I was trying to use those militia TO's as recommended (in case of states being threatened), but I noticed that by the time I took the TO's many of the arrival hexes had been over run. So I came up with the idea of taking all the militia TO's as soon as they were available. Then I realised they would all be withdrawn in about twelve turns and I would lose them. So I waited ten turns then disbanded them. That gave me 3300 militia replacements. Wohoo !

If this is considered being naughty, maybe those units should arrive in a 'safe' area somewhere. They do have large movement allowances so could reach where they need to be from a safe distance. Just a thought. Thanks again for the nice big scenario !
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

I'll take a look at the militia entry hexes. The militia should be able to mobilize in time to contribute to their colony's defense. The situation you describe is definately not what I intended.

As for the disbanding, there's nothing wrong with it but it's not helping you as much as you think. Continental and Militia forces have different TOEs and use different equipment. In addition, Militia units usually either evap or get withdrawn before their equipment levels are low enough for replacements. So by disbanding you're creating a replacement pool that probably won't be needed. Also, IIRC the theater option militia are withdrawn 8-12 months after mobilization so at least some of those units will have their periods of service cut short by disbandment.

Still, there's nothing wrong with calling them up early if you need a sudden influx of units. But you shouldn't be faced with a "use or lose" situation so I'll make sure to fix that.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”