Hitting the Auto Finish Button

QVADRIGA is a tactical game of chariot racing in ancient Roman circuses, where you take control of a four horse chariot team.
76mm

RE: Hitting the Auto Finish Button

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: nats
Different results but maybe that is because of the number of charioteers?

Yes of course--bigger races have bigger payouts. The payouts are announced before each race.

Also, prizes gradually reduce (down to some minimum level) the longer you stay in a city to prevent someone camping at an easy track forever.
Manticore8

Post by Manticore8 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Also, prizes gradually reduce (down to some minimum level) the longer you stay in a city to prevent someone camping at an easy track forever.

Good to know...where specifically are details like this documented? I keep seeing references to small but important game issues like this that I've never seen in print anywhere.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Manticore8
Good to know...where specifically are details like this documented? I keep seeing references to small but important game issues like this that I've never seen in print anywhere.

First, it is very noticeable when playing the game, just pay attention to the prizes for each race. Second it was mentioned here in the forum by the developer, I don't remember which thread.
Manticore8

Post by Manticore8 »

My problem with Auto Finish is simply this; it's easy to punk out and auto finish to prevent the loss of a driver, AND get paid for it. I have no problem with using it to prevent crawling around the track if you can finish the race by normal means anyway. But if you've spent many hours and races grooming one driver who's a few races short of winning a campaign but who is now being unceremoniously dragged around the track now, it's mighty tempting to auto finish just to save his hide. I'd bet the vast majority of players have fallen to this temptation, including myself, but big deal. Once again, I have no problem with the concept of saving time, but I do have a problem with getting rewarded the same as if I had physically crossed the finish line. So it's a game related "ethics" issue for me, not the end of the world, just a nagging wish that there was a solution to satisfy the need to get out of a hopeless race without pretending that I took the risks to complete the race in a chariot...and that one gets rewarded the same money for not taking those risks. Over & out.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

...but I do have a problem with getting rewarded the same as if I had physically crossed the finish line...a nagging wish that there was a solution to satisfy the need to get out of a hopeless race without pretending that I took the risks to complete the race in a chariot...and that one gets rewarded the same money for not taking those risks.

But you could finish the race by taking no risks, by reducing your speed, using "Watch" liberally, etc. So generally you can finish a race with virtually no risk, but who wants to spend another 20-30 minutes crawling around the track on "Watch"? Not me!

One potential abuse would be to hit auto-finish if your auriga is already being dragged behind his chariot; in this case I think it would make sense to disable auto-finish, if that is not already how it works.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

My problem with Auto Finish is simply this; it's easy to punk out and auto finish to prevent the loss of a driver, AND get paid for it. I have no problem with using it to prevent crawling around the track if you can finish the race by normal means anyway. But if you've spent many hours and races grooming one driver who's a few races short of winning a campaign but who is now being unceremoniously dragged around the track now, it's mighty tempting to auto finish just to save his hide. I'd bet the vast majority of players have fallen to this temptation, including myself, but big deal. Once again, I have no problem with the concept of saving time, but I do have a problem with getting rewarded the same as if I had physically crossed the finish line. So it's a game related "ethics" issue for me, not the end of the world, just a nagging wish that there was a solution to satisfy the need to get out of a hopeless race without pretending that I took the risks to complete the race in a chariot...and that one gets rewarded the same money for not taking those risks. Over & out.
Since it is a single player game, just don't use it if you think it is an "exploit" or "cheat". I have no problem with it and would like it left alone.
[;)]
Thanks
Zap

Post by Zap »

The positives pointed out we all agree are good reasons for auto finish. One thing that I will have to negate are peoples accounts of victories and making it to the finales.
So threads about accomplishments could or could not be true.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Zap
One thing that I will have to negate are peoples accounts of victories and making it to the finales.
So threads about accomplishments could or could not be true.

But with an autofinish you finish in last place...so what "accomplishments" are being embellished?
Zap

Post by Zap »

Build up ones economic position. Run 1 lap (receiving minimal damage) take the money given (Sienna 1119 denarii).
Do that 10 times you already have over 11000 denarii.

Keep repeating that until one has a nice nest egg of money. Then run your team without worry of damage affecting your run to victories.protect your leaders by ending races early.
ect. many ways to use the auto finish to help one be in a better situation.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Build up ones economic position. Run 1 lap (receiving minimal damage) take the money given (Sienna 1119 denarii).

But I can do the exact same thing without autofinish, it will just take a bit longer. It sounds like to me your real issue should be the economic benefits of finishing last, not the use of the autofinish button.

I agree that it would seem you should make more money for finishing, say, fourth, than last.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Keep repeating that until one has a nice nest egg of money. Then run your team without worry of damage affecting your run to victories.protect your leaders by ending races early.
ect. many ways to use the auto finish to help one be in a better situation.

In the time that takes I can win at least one race and finish 2nd or 3rd in the others and I will have much much more than 11000 dinarii...
And do note that you won't have any leaders because you were autofinishing races all the time.

Really it is quite easy and way more fun to play this game without grinding on the Autofinish route.
"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
Zap

Post by Zap »

As I was saying, one cannot believe others touting their accomplishments. How did they arrive at at all their fame an fortune? Using auto finish button or earning it. You never know.
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

As I was saying, one cannot believe others touting their accomplishments. How did they arrive at at all their fame an fortune? Using auto finish button or earning it. You never know.

I couldn't care less - as long as they had fun doing it.

But you miss the point still: with autofinish you will not collect fame and you will not create leaders, because you don't win anything.

"One must always distrust the report of troop commanders: 'We have no fuel' [...] You see, if they become tired they suddenly lack fuel" - Heinz Guderian, Panzer Leader
Zap

Post by Zap »

actually, you seem so upset. And misunderstand. Simply pointing out a fact. But you don't see it. If you build up your money then you can risk sending out your charioteers to gain victory and fame. With economic freedom you simply replace chariots, horses, get health ect.
When a player sees his leader in trouble he presses auto finish. Keeps him going for another race.

The point of my post is in response to 76mm so I did not miss the point. I said one can use auto finish to make ones situation better. And for that reason You can't believe anyone who says they have gained such and such fame and victory. But to be truthful this is getting a little weird. I just made an observation. I'm having fun playing this game
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I said one can use auto finish to make ones situation better. And for that reason You can't believe anyone who says they have gained such and such fame and victory. But to be truthful this is getting a little weird.

I agree that this is getting a little weird...frankly, I still don't agree with you on two points, or maybe I still don't understand you:

1) You can't in fact "use autofinish" to make ones situation better." Because with autofinish you automatically end up in last place, and because any player can easily and safely finish in last place every race without autofinish (by going slow and using "Watch"), autofinish does not in fact make you better off--all it does is save time. If my leader is in trouble, all I have to do to save him is slow down, and Watch, which will put me in last place, just like autofinish.

2) As described in the previous point, using autofinish doesn't in fact give any advantage, and you don't win any victories at all coming in last place, you won't get much fame and victory doing this.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
I said one can use auto finish to make ones situation better. And for that reason You can't believe anyone who says they have gained such and such fame and victory. But to be truthful this is getting a little weird.

I agree that this is getting a little weird...frankly, I still don't agree with you on two points, or maybe I still don't understand you:

1) You can't in fact "use autofinish" to make ones situation better." Because with autofinish you automatically end up in last place, and because any player can easily and safely finish in last place every race without autofinish (by going slow and using "Watch"), autofinish does not in fact make you better off--all it does is save time. If my leader is in trouble, all I have to do to save him is slow down, and Watch, which will put me in last place, just like autofinish.

2) As described in the previous point, using autofinish doesn't in fact give any advantage, and you don't win any victories at all coming in last place, you won't get much fame and victory doing this.

1. So you are saying absolutely nothing can happen to your charioteer or your chariot.? If this is the case then I will agree with you that the result is he same for auto finish and running slow and (safe or watch). I was not aware that that was the case.

2. I am not saying Auto finish will give you victories. But a great economic situation will. because you can run without worries . And thus increase your chances for victories. Auto finish or running safe and slow will give you a good economic situation without risk . Temptation, make it go faster "Auto Finish". My point is either way will make your economic situation better.
When I run the race for the experience/immersion I'm always running into economic team insolvency.
Lets say I start out 10 races auto finish. build up money then run full out to gain some victories. then go back to more auto finishes to build up my economic situation. then back to run some more to gain victories.

Do you get my drift? Hope this helps. if not I just failed in conveying my point.
1.Auto finish gives you safe money fast
2.money increases chances for victories

nats

Post by nats »

I think the only chance of rescuing a situation by using autofinish must be if your driver is being dragged, you can't run away due to a nearby chariot and you press autofinish to prevent the likelihood of him dying. I cant think of any other situation where it would save your drivers from death. So that is a 1 in 25 occurance perhaps.

Regarding using autosave to end a race very early and make some quick money I cant really see anyone playing like that it just seems so pointless. The only person you are cheating would be yourself and you would be cheating yoruself out of fun. So that would be daft, I cant imagine that situation ever occuring to be honest. And if someone was to play like that in order to 'beat the game' I think that would be a rather silly thing to do. I suppose there may be some sad individual would maybe think like that but they would not be the typical game player.

So I honestly think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.

There is nothing that bad with autofinish and it does save you from some dull playtime if you have to go around a track for a whole lap or more very slowly in order to finish and there is no way you are going to get a place in the race. That is what it is for and it works well if used for that.
"Its life Jim, but not as we know it"
Zap

Post by Zap »

It wasn't my intention spending so much time on this. Started out as a simple observation. Could not explain myself clear enough,so, here we are so many post later.
That's my view that this practice is pointless. But you understand what I'm saying.

Regarding using autosave to end a race very early and make some quick money I cant really see anyone playing like that it just seems so pointless. The only person you are cheating would be yourself and you would be cheating yoruself out of fun. So that would be daft

I agree with this completely. just that it could happen and for that reason I said I could not believe people telling me of their accomplishments. That's all I was saying nothing more. I'm ending my participation in this discussion it seems I finally have someone who understands what I was writing. Like you said its not that important. Boy I'm tired after all this clarifying [&:][&:]
CaptCarnage

Post by CaptCarnage »

Should have used autofinish to end this discussion, man ;)
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: CLEVELAND

Just award prize money based on finishing order. 4th place gets more than 5th place which gets more than 6th place etc. That would encourage you to keep racing. Auto finish would put you in last place and you'd get a small amount of money (smaller than you currently get)
This idea sounds good to me !
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)

Return to “QVADRIGA”