Will it be a 100% 3D game or will it be a mix of 3D + 2D?

3D version of Close Combat
Nomada_Firefox

Will it be a 100% 3D game or will it be a mix of 3D + 2D?

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Lately I was thinking about it, will it be a 100% 3D game or will it be a mix of 3D for the terrain and 2D models for vehicles and infantry models? I have thought it after read your comments and see how there are many games similar to this. At the end, Unity3D can make both things. At both type, I´m not worried, in fact if it was a mix where vehicles were made at 2D, probably it would be better for edit them.
SteveMcClaire

RE: Will it be a 100% 3D game or will it be a mix of 3D + 2D?

Post by SteveMcClaire »

100% 3D. :)

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

Thanks by the answer. Will we be able edit the 3D models from vehicles and more? I do not request that you must teach us. Just share the tools.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Modding of the game's 3D models is something we'd like to support, but the engine (Unity 3D) makes this difficult to do. There are some possible solutions, so it may happen, but I can't guarantee you'll be able to mod the 3D models in the first release. You will be able to change textures, sounds, etc. however.

Steve
Nomada_Firefox

Post by Nomada_Firefox »

At my opinion for modding the models, just the game needs a export plugin for one program of 3D design and one example about how a model must be, I speak from shaders, hardpoints and few more. I do not know if the models from your game can be edited or created with the free version from Unity3D program but the free version can import 3dmax fbx, 3ds files and probably a lot more of different formats from other programs, I think that it is enough, the materials and other features are not too difficult, Unity3D program has a lot of options but I find it very simple.

At the end, the problem from all here, it would be how all the modding options would be zero if we can not at least replace the 3D models, specially from vehicles.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

ORIGINAL: Nomada_Firefox
... the free version [of Unity] can import 3dmax fbx, 3ds files and probably a lot more of different formats from other programs, I think that it is enough, the materials and other features are not too difficult, Unity3D program has a lot of options but I find it very simple.

Unity is a design tool. Importing 3d models into Unity is very simple and easy. However, once you compile a game in Unity and ship it, there is no easy solution for loading models into your game itself. They're all 'baked in' by Unity when you create your game. If you want your game (created with Unity) to be able to load 3D models 'on the fly' it is something that must be done entirely from scratch. There are some possible work arounds that we're exploring, but as I said, I can't guarantee it for the first release at this point.

Steve
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Ouch, not being able to mod vehicles really will put a limit on what mod makers can do if this situation doesn't change
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

How will this be different than Combat Mission?
TIK

Post by TIK »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

How will this be different than Combat Mission?

Better control system and real time [;)]
I have a Youtube Channel that features Close Combat and Panzer Corps Let's Plays and videos, as well as historical documentaries.
benpark

Post by benpark »

Combat Mission can be played in real time.
"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

Return to “Close Combat – The Bloody First”