Distant Worlds: Universe Announced!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Icemania

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe Announced!

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: Haree78
ORIGINAL: DrApostle
May I humbly suggest that you take a look at all of the folks who made mods up to this point and give them the update for free. And I hope that Haree78 has been helping you develop this expansion.

I'm involved don't worry ;)
And again it's not my place to reveal stuff but really pleased with what I am able to do with the current version of the Extended mod.
Any previous missing issues for modding are in that I might need.

Can you modify the AI in any meaningful way?

Just a wink is all I need ... [;)]

delphihawk

Post by delphihawk »

nice, excellent edition!
Iwbtone

Post by Iwbtone »

First, glad to see a whole complete DW package finally arrives, this is a good entering point for new DW gamers, hope more people can taste DW now.

But as Shawdows released not a full year and DWU mostly puts emphasis on modding and some details enhencement, I'm really looking forward to seeing a deep discount for original DW oweners, especially for those bought DW + 3 exps, all cost me 80+ dollars last year[&o]

Anyway I know here is matrix games for niche and hardcore players, not steam store[:D]

Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

Have any changes been made to the console functions? In particular, can the console be used to grant specific technologies, or are we still required to set technology levels with a broad tech level slider?
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

We're not ready to announce the price yet, but there will be a scaling discount - so the more you own of the previous DW releases, the higher the discount will be to upgrade to Universe.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Hi guys,

We're not ready to announce the price yet, but there will be a scaling discount - so the more you own of the previous DW releases, the higher the discount will be to upgrade to Universe.

Regards,

- Erik
Do you have any info on my question above, Erik? It may seem like a small thing, but giving, removing, and restricting certain technologies is something I'm really interested in for the purposes of setting up scenarios for my games.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

That's good news, Erik, especially since I got the "Kaspersky-issue" with Shadows and own the complete series.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

That's good news, Erik, especially since I got the "Kaspersky-issue" with Shadows and own the complete series.

kaspersky issue? Is that a false positive?
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

kaspersky issue? Is that a false positive?
Yeah Kaspersky and things based on it like ZoneAlarm have to make special exclusion rules for DW:Shadows or have it quarantined and deleted as a virus.

There is a post here with instructions on how to do it, let me see if I can find it.

edit: Found it - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3505051
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Yes, that's what I meant with "Kaspersky-Issue".

Sure, there's a workaround as described above, but I don't think that solution is a good idea. Excluding a whole install folder from checking viruses and the like - especially when it's a game folder, and thus knowledge about a probable exclusion of such folder might be common - is like keeping a window wide open all the time while locking the door next to it. One could just as well stop using any virus protection at all.

I'd rather wait for Universe and hope for the best.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Sure, there's a workaround as described above, but I don't think that solution is a good idea. Excluding a whole install folder from checking viruses and the like - especially when it's a game folder, and thus knowledge about a probable exclusion of such folder might be common - is like keeping a window wide open all the time while locking the door next to it. One could just as well stop using any virus protection at all.

Actually you don't exclude the entire DW game folder, just the core "DistantWorlds.exe" file.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

This definitely needs to be reported, Matrix needs to report that to Kasperksy as a false positive, it would help if you do it too. The problem does not lie in the game, but rather with Kaspersky.

Edit: Changed for clarity, sounded like a demand before but I intended as a request.
Colin_slith

Post by Colin_slith »

I've never been able to make Legends and Shadows install properly after Return. Will the Universe package include all as one install?
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Actually you don't exclude the entire DW game folder, just the core "DistantWorlds.exe" file.

Stupid me then, eh? [:D] Seriously, that's bad enough - for my taste. Whether I should report this to Kaspersky... or matrixgames... I'd say this issue is known since October last year, so I reckon Kaspersky already knows about it - and did bloody nothing about it. Whether it's up to matrixgames to report anything - after all it's stuff they sell which is affected - I don't comment on this.

I will wait for Universe. Been waiting since release of DW (my old Laptop I had until December couldn't handle it) and I can wait some more months.

Spidey

Post by Spidey »

So, uhm, how's it going, guys? Any news? Any updates? Any plans to launch a massive marketing campaign that will shake the entire Interweb in its digital boots? Maybe just some more concrete specs? Or a 45 second trailer video with big explosions and dramatic music? Something? Anything?

I don't mean to be demanding, but if you're not going to increase the font color to give more contrast (which I imagine is hard due to font antialiasing) or give us a different font that isn't quite as gnarly, then at least trickle out some more details. Please? Pretty please? [:)]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

All Distant Worlds in one bundle, looking forward to it.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
DevildogFF

Post by DevildogFF »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik

At this risk of getting kicked off these forums, I must continue to say that your marketing in general sucks.

I hope that Distant Worlds finds another publisher. It deserves better.
www.eXplorminate.co - 4X, Strategy, and Tactics
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Agreed! Why is this game not on Steam, where it would actually garner some popularity?
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

ORIGINAL: FireLion1983

Steam
Holy Ale ! this word again... Steam is not a solution for HIV and cancer deal with it.
if i were a mod,i'd ban you...but i'm not,thus i'm sad :<
FireLion1983

Post by FireLion1983 »

Ban me for expressing an opinion on a public forum? [&:]

Games usually live or die by how well they do on Steam. This game is extremely niche, when it should be performing as well as Civ! :)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”