asteroid field

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

IBender

asteroid field

Post by IBender »

I have come across an asteroid field which has..the best set of resources I think I have ever seen...tons of things I need and all extremely high %.

I see that I can build mining stations on them, which is great, however my question is.. are the asteroid fields any different than planets? Will the resources in the field deplete/ run out? Is it a good move to build mines in an asteroid field in general?

Thanks a bunch.
ASHBERY76

RE: asteroid field

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Don't really see the need too.Metals are not rare.
Dexter

Post by Dexter »

I don't bother building mining stations on asteroids. If you have a spaceport at a planet close by, same or neighbouring system, your private ships will mine there just fine.

And yes, I do believe resources can deplete, I have seen it happening on planets, would be kind of weird if asteroids would not deplete.
Greetings,

Dexter

...saving the galaxy!
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Deplete is a event and not some tracked element.
pycco

Post by pycco »

deplete is an event, as Ashvery76 said. if you don't have the resource then yes i would.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Pretty much the only asteroids I ever pay any attention to are the specials with high Scenery bonuses. Build a Resort Base there that has a Mining component and all needs are met. [;)]
The average asteroids aren't worth building a station at for just the single resource. Let your Mining Ships take care of that for you.
Ralzakark

Post by Ralzakark »

The disadvantage asteroids have is that they have only one type of resource, usually metals. But you can usually get multiple metals at barren rocky planets, so a mine there will get you multple resource types.

Especially at the start of a pre-warp game location may be more important than mining efficiency, so if the only nearby source of a metal is an asteroid then build a mine on it. You can always scrap it later. If you are plagued by pirates then keeping your mines in a few systems which you can defend is a useful tactic, and again asteroids can be useful for this.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
ReadeB

Post by ReadeB »

Ice asteroids are the only ones I've mined directly. Found a 99% Dilithium Crystal asteroid. Nice.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”