Greyjoy(J) vs. Obvert(A) - The air war in China- DBB, SLs, PDU OFF

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GreyJoy

RE: The war has started

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: String

I'd say his concentration in NoPAC presents an excellent opportunity to destroy Allied naval and ground assets early in the war. I've found that if the allied player sticks his neck out too far too early (say before MAR-APR42) it's easy to lop his head off and bag a lot of points and ground troops destroyed.

True, but that would mean to divert a lot of assets from my principal vectors of advance. To be honest, I believe the worst thing for Japan is to dance at the rhythm the allies impose, instead of doing the opposite. Japan needs to follow his strategic objectives, not to destroy allied assets.
But I'll keep an eye wide open on those theatres and see what we can do when winter ends
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
True, but that would mean to divert a lot of assets from my principal vectors of advance. To be honest, I believe the worst thing for Japan is to dance at the rhythm the allies impose, instead of doing the opposite. Japan needs to follow his strategic objectives, not to destroy allied assets.
But I'll keep an eye wide open on those theatres and see what we can do when winter ends

You sound like Grant talking about Lee: Paraphrased badly: I am tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do to me...he needs to worry about what I am going to do him.

Good mindset!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

You sound like Grant talking about Lee: Paraphrased badly: I am tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do to me...he needs to worry about what I am going to do him.

Good mindset!

ahahahahaha!!! well, that's probably the best compliment I've ever received! :-)

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Troops for the invasion of Tarakan are loading at Camra Bay, while the mini KB is moving across the northern Celebes sea. Davao already has fighters present and soon Jolo will be open again.

In the meanwhile more troops are invading Northern Guinea (Biak, Hollandia etc), while lower Solomons (Nndeni, Lungaville etc) are being assaulted by small SNLF units.
Should be able to land at PM and Horn Island the next week, then the KB will swing towards the DEI, clearing the path for the invasions of Java, Cocos Is and Timor. Gotta run a bit now.
String

Post by String »

I'd say his concentration in NoPAC presents an excellent opportunity to destroy Allied naval and ground assets early in the war. I've found that if the allied player sticks his neck out too far too early (say before MAR-APR42) it's easy to lop his head off and bag a lot of points and ground troops destroyed.

Well, this is my personal opinion, but I'd say that the Japanese player has no strategic objectives beyond their semi-historic perimiter with perhaps the exception of northern OZ and southern solomons. After they have achieved those objectives, or concurrently if the situation allows, they should seek to inflict as much damage to the allied war machine in order to delay the inevitable. I do not mean just troops and ships, but also disrupting their plans. If he is concentrating in NoPac so early it must mean that this is an important theatre in his mind. Pre-emptively smashing that springboard while you still have the power to do so relatively cheaply is a good thing in my books. it will force him to turn his attention elsewhere or spend a lot of effort early to start his first offensives in late 42-early 43.
Surface combat TF fanboy
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Dec 20-21, 1941

Still two days before the 21st arrives at Jaore Baru, then one day of rest and so the march towards Singa will begin by the 25th i guess.
Palembang invasion force is in place. Tomorrow we'll land. Minesweepers embedded in the TFs and several SAGs in cover.
Rabaul invasion went in unopposed. Landings went fine and only a small force is present in defence. Good.
The 4th ID is loading at Truk.
KB is moving South in a long screen mission.
Allied CVs out of sight.
subs spotted several cruisers near Ducth Harbour.
The invasion of Mindanao continues without much problems.
Just bought a Sally Sentai from Manchukoku. Will be sent to Luzon in order to support the bombings of Manila which aren't going very well to be honest.
The Mixed Guards Regiment is moving to SOPAC, prepping for SUVA.
2 A6M2 Sentais arrived at Bankok. Some rest and then will begin the air war against Burma (where the AVG is waiting).
In China everything is moving slowly. As said it won't be my primary target.
Spent some hours on the economy. Res CS convoys already in place. 70K Res are loading everyday between Korea and Hokkaido towards the HI.
Moved several engineer units to the bases i need to expand in the HI. Forts are a priority. Wanna start prepping for the 1945 onslaught ASAP.

@String: I understand what u say and i agree that the IJN must inflict damages to the allied fleet ASAP. But NOPAC, right now at least, would be an extreme diversion from my plans. Can't efford now to divert forces. Maybe when i have estabilished my first perimeter i may consider an operation up there.

String

Post by String »

@String: I understand what u say and i agree that the IJN must inflict damages to the allied fleet ASAP. But NOPAC, right now at least, would be an extreme diversion from my plans. Can't efford now to divert forces. Maybe when i have estabilished my first perimeter i may consider an operation up there.

Ah, naturally. I apologise if I implied that you should divert there immediately. What are your current planned advance vectors beyond the usual 41/early42 stuff? Again, apologies if you already covered that somewhere in the thread.
Surface combat TF fanboy
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Ah, naturally. I apologise if I implied that you should divert there immediately. What are your current planned advance vectors beyond the usual 41/early42 stuff? Again, apologies if you already covered that somewhere in the thread.

No need to apologise String!
I'm leaning towards the idea of investing North Eastern Oz and northern Oz (say till daily waters and Brisbane), Noumea, Suva and Pago Pago.
I'm already moving lots of xAPs and xAK-T to Malaya, in order to be able to move those divisions our ASAP once Singa is conquered.
However i haven't decided yet. I wanna remain flexible and keep running at fast speed, bypassing what is not immediatly necessary.
The presence of the KB moving down from PM area, 1 CVL+1 CVE from the Celebes and the Kaga+Ryuho from Malaya should provide enough cover to be able to advance fast to Java->Timor->Northern Oz.
If the american CVs are in NOPAC right now, they cannot be ambushing me in SRA-DEI...
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Just bought a Sally Sentai from Manchukoku. Will be sent to Luzon in order to support the bombings of Manila which aren't going very well to be honest.

Your expectations are too high. Understandable since you just played as the Allies.[:)]

The bombers will get better when the defenders run out of ammo and you can fly lower, until then bomb and use up his supply and prevent fort building just watch out for cap traps.

And don't use Lilly if you can. She is a very fragile plane, but great in the ASW role. You might not have any choice however, given your game settings.

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Your expectations are too high. Understandable since you just played as the Allies.[:)]

The bombers will get better when the defenders run out of ammo and you can fly lower, until then bomb and use up his supply and prevent fort building just watch out for cap traps.

And don't use Lilly if you can. She is a very fragile plane, but great in the ASW role. You might not have any choice however, given your game settings.

I've been playing with Japan for too long to have hopes on the Japanese Army Bombers. Worse, in DBB the effect of the 250kg bomb is reduced, so it's really hard to suppress anything.
But the real fact is that i'm using only 2 Sentais (1 Sally and 1 Lily) at the moment there and that's just my fault. Need to bring at least 2 more Sallies there.
Wth PDU OFF there are only 6 unrestricted Sally Sentai to begin with...and PPs, as you know, are Always short, so i had to deal with what i had. The priority was given to Singa, so i sent in Malaya 5 Sally Sentais and 1 Lily sentai. Now i need to switch some more attentions to Luzon
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Here's Malaya on the 21st Dec, 1941

Attachments
Malaya.jpg
Malaya.jpg (275.65 KiB) Viewed 61 times
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

At Singa, if my calculations are right, the only decent fighting units are the 22nd and the 27th Aus Bdes. The rest should be composed by those battallions and minor units that start there. Everything else (The Gurka Bdes and the other elements of the 9th Ind.Division) are trapped at Kuala Lumpur. I count not more than 500 AVs there with forts at 1. The firepower, a part from the 2 AUS Bdes, is scarce and the avg experience low. 4 Japanese Divisions should be enough (hopefully). I just need a good dice and roll and i may conquer Singa on the very first attempt... finger crossed guys!
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Dec 22, 1941

Bad day.
The Palembang invasion is ambushed by several submarines, PT TFs and at least 2 big SAGs (Boise, Houston, Marblehead, Mauritius etc...)
The IJN had foresee this move and try a countertrap. The invasion didn't move in and positioned a little bit North. The Kaga-Ryuho were in a perfect position to strike the enemy SAGs that reached Palembang...
From Sinkawang several Betties and Netties took off but got slaughtered by more than 50 enemy fighters on CAP over Palembang. The Kates from Kaga took off too... clear weather.. but they did score just a single torpedo hit on a dutch CL and lost at least 6 planes...
Now we face a difficult situation, with several enemy's warship very close to my invasion TFs and my CVTF...
We also lost 30 skilled pre-war pilots..
The Whole operation risks to become a disaster.
I need some good luck with the upcoming day...

Rabaul falls easily to the 144th Rgt. Now loading for PM.
Lungaville and Ndeni are invaded.
2 more xAKs lost to the dreaded ducth subs (i've never had much luck with those...seems Erik knows how to use them better than me)
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

The problem is that all Allied players know that the Japanese will try to grab Palembang early (Ditto Singkawang)

Its the perfect place to commit what limited air and naval assets that the allies have.

Maybe some variations on Japanese play are required?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

The problem is that all Allied players know that the Japanese will try to grab Palembang early (Ditto Singkawang)

Its the perfect place to commit what limited air and naval assets that the allies have.

Correct. The aggressive early moves are pretty well telegraphed.

cantona2

Post by cantona2 »

enjoying both sides of the narrative
1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I noted a page ago your descriptions of what you are "prepping" for. Beware that you actually need the prep since in my experience Ultra will usually give the Allied player an excellent warning of what you are up to. Quere whether it is gamey to set a couple units to prep for Kodiak or Winnipeg....not that anybody would want the latter anyway!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Correct. The aggressive early moves are pretty well telegraphed.

I think it's quite possible to simply isolate Palembang, avoiding any kind of Allied trap there, until you're ready to deal with it.

Also prevents being surprised by a Fortress Palembang.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Could you pull back or try landing at Djambi instead? Short walk from there to Palembang.

Also not to beat a dead horse on NOPAC, but I think those of us advocating for a move up there were presuming it would occur after the end of phase 1. I could see you pulling something up there in March to threaten any bases he's developed in an effort to force a naval battle.

PS don't think we haven't noticed how coy you are being about your phase 2 objectives. [;)]
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Dec 23-24, 1941

Two days of heavy fightings and heavy losses.
The allies are throwing the kitchen sink at the advancing japanse combined armies and are getting some very good results.
The japanese are paying the price of their blind aggressiveness.
But we go on, stubborn.
On the 23rd the allied navy decides to stand and fight for Palembang, parking there not less than 3 cruiser TFs.
Japan, once again, hopes to rely on its air army and, once again, a combination of bad weather and eccessive confidence scrumble its plans.
A light cruiser TF (3CLs + several DDs) enter Palembang at night and surprises the Boise,Houston and Marblehead. But there's a thunderstorm and the long lances don't hit a single ship[:o]
The battle overs with little or no damage taken or given, but the field remains in allied hands.
During the following day, more of the same medicine: several uncoordinated strikes, in stormy weather, heavy CAP and sweeps Flying after the naval Attacks: more Betties, Oscars and Kates shot down for no gain.
But the allies remains there, guarding Palembang...while the invasion TFs and their cover blocks the estuary. The allies can't flee. The Japanese can't enter. Statlemate?

The following day (24th) the japanese decides to give another go.
More cruiser TFs sent into the forge.
Great battles occur.
Boise, Houston, Marblehead, Java and De Ruyter are sunk, along with 9 DDs.
CA Kumano, DD Nowaki are sunk on our side, with 2 more CAs, 2 CLs and 5 DDs damaged. An heavy price.
The Mauritius fled, burning, to Batavia.
Only one single enemy CL and possibly 3 DDs are present at Palembang now.
enemy's subs are saturating those waters. Kumano recived not less than 4 torps from two different subs!

In the meanwhile, swordfishes from Menado sinks 2 transports loaded with troops South of Davao. More transports sunk by floatplanes near Puerto princesa.
Enemy's cruisers bombing in the Aleutians.
The Island hopping continues in the SOPAC. Unopposed for the moment.
In China several ambushes down not less than 40 japanese light bombers...ouch! Gotta be more carefull here.
4 divisions are ordered to march towards Singapore. ETA: 26th of December 1941. BANZAI
Langsha (N.Sumatra) is conquered by paras. Now Medan is divided from Sebang. A regiment is being airlifted there.
Georgetown and Moulmein are conquered. We entered in Burma!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai, Shell hits 2
CL Sendai
CL Oi, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 1
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami, Shell hits 1
DD Ushio

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 2
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 1
CL Boise, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Alden, Shell hits 27, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Barker, Shell hits 3
DD John D. Edwards, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Whipple, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Pillsbury, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Reduced sighting due to 25% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 25% moonlight: 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai, on fire
CL Sendai
CL Oi, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri
DD Yugiri
DD Amagiri, Shell hits 1
DD Akebono, Shell hits 1
DD Sazanami
DD Ushio

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 2
CL Mauritius, Shell hits 2
DD Edsall, Shell hits 1
DD Vendetta
DD Scout
DD Encounter
DD Isis
DD Jupiter, Shell hits 1

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 25% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 19,000 yards...
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 15,000 yards...
Range closes to 13,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai, Shell hits 2, on fire
CL Sendai
CL Oi, on fire
DD Shikinami
DD Ayanami
DD Asagiri
DD Sagiri, Shell hits 1
DD Yugiri, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Amagiri
DD Akebono
DD Sazanami
DD Ushio

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 1
CL De Ruyter, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Piet Hein
DD Kortenaer
DD Evertsen
DD Witte de With
DD Van Nes, Shell hits 2
DD Banckert, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Van Ghent

ight Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 8,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
C.XI-W: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1
CA Kumano, Shell hits 1
DD Maikaze
DD Nowaki, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Arashi
DD Hagikaze
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Piet Hein
DD Kortenaer, Shell hits 5, on fire
DD Evertsen
DD Witte de With, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Van Nes, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Banckert, Shell hits 13, and is sunk

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 25% moonlight: 9,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
Japanese open fire on surprised Allied ships at 8,000 yards

Night Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 7,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SOC-1 Seagull: 5 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 1
CA Kumano, Shell hits 8, on fire
DD Maikaze
DD Nowaki, Shell hits 1, heavy fires
DD Arashi
DD Hagikaze
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 35, and is sunk
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 8, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Boise, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
DD Barker, Shell hits 10, and is sunk
DD John D. Edwards, Shell hits 11, and is sunk

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 25% moonlight: 10,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 7,000 yards
Japanese launch Long Lance torpedoes at 7,000 yards before allies detect Japanese presence

Submarine attack near Palembang at 48,91

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KX

CA Kumano is sighted by SS KX
SS KX launches 4 torpedoes at CA Kumano

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submarine attack near Palembang at 49,90

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Swordfish

CA Kumano is sighted by SS Swordfish
SS Swordfish launches 4 torpedoes

Submarine attack near Muntok at 49,89

Japanese Ships
CA Kumano, Torpedo hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KIX

CA Kumano is sighted by SS KIX
SS KIX launches 4 torpedoes

Day Time Surface Combat, near Palembang at 48,91, Range 22,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 1
CA Mikuma, Shell hits 1
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 4
DD Maikaze
DD Arashi, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Hagikaze, Shell hits 1
DD Fubuki
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Danae, Shell hits 4
DD John D. Ford, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Peary, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Pope, Shell hits 1, on fire

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Palembang at 48,91

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
E8N2 Dave x 2

Allied aircraft
Buffalo I x 6
Vildebeest III x 12
B-339D x 3
75A-7 Hawk x 3
P-40B Warhawk x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 4

Japanese aircraft losses