Vote for my next Scenario

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

flibby

Vote for my next Scenario

Post by flibby »

Having decided that CO offers the best platform to do this, i am coming out of my retirement from the modding community many moons ago, and will be dedicating my time to a number of new scenarios over the next 6 months.

It's a bit of a change from the modding i did for various Source engine games such as The Trenches, and Battlegrounds but i'm more than confident of being able to give something back to another community - as-well as giving myself some awesome gaming in the process.

I will move a thread to the Scenarios forum once i'm underway, but wanted to create a poll (can't find an option for a dedicated poll...) to decide what to go for first.

I will also need some help along the way no-doubt, and apologies in advance for those who have to provide this [:D]

Options:

1) Battle of Sedan - 12-15 May 1940

2) Battle of Delville Wood 14 July 1916

3) Fictional battle around the Oder River - Cold War Turns Hot - 1984

The challenge of a WW1 mod appeals, but the limitations of the engine may be too much - would be interested to find out and perhaps show a new perspective...

On the other hand, the Battle of France has always hugely interested me - being able to put some meaningful command around those Char B1's has me foaming at the mouth [8D]

I will go off people's interest - and of course if there is any interest, for the above. [:D]
Deathtreader

RE: Vote for my next Scenario

Post by Deathtreader »

Hi,

Battle of Sedan has my vote!

Please and thank you[&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Just started reading The Third World War August 1985 A Future History by General Sir John Hackett GCB CBE DSO and Bar MC so my vote goes to Oder River.

P.S. Deathtreader nice Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE quote [:)]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
wodin

Post by wodin »

Cold war gone hot..doubtful the game can do WW1 to be honest with you.
flibby

Post by flibby »

I saw a post you made on it some time ago and didn't know if it could be managed, did you reach a conclusion?
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Battle of Sedan would be awesome [:)]

You can then go on to make a whole campaign for Fall Gelb [;)]
flibby

Post by flibby »

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Battle of Sedan would be awesome [:)]

You can then go on to make a whole campaign for Fall Gelb [;)]

The challenge of trying to get things realistic whilst maintaining the ability to win as the BEF and French forces will be exciting....
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

I doubt that a 1984 mod would be worthwhile as simulating the various electronic warfare capabilities of both side at that time would be a stretch for this engine.

Perhaps stick with something close to the period of the base game, and possibly push out to the Korean War at the most.

Whatever you decide to do though, good luck.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: flibby

I saw a post you made on it some time ago and didn't know if it could be managed, did you reach a conclusion?

WW1 would be difficult because the doctrines we have programmed the AI to follow are basically post WW1. Another problem would be to account for chemical weapons and infantry tactics before 1918, with units engaging enemy positions in close order.

On the other hand, I don't find the scale and scope of the engine to offer an interesting canvas for developing a WW1 West Front simulation, where advances were measured in hundreds of yards.

WW1 East Front is a different matter, because the more open spaces there would diminish the distracting effect of the engine limitations above, and would be quite interesting in itself. The WW1 Italian Front could also look quite right, I suggest you to take a look at the Pindos scenarios from the Greek Battle pack, which I find could give you a good idea of how the Isonzo battles would look like on this engine.
ulisin

Post by ulisin »

battle of sedan, of course!!
ChrisMaiorana

Post by ChrisMaiorana »

sedan!
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Battle of Sedan - 12-15 May 1940