Gort and company trapped in Occupied France

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

Gort and company trapped in Occupied France

Post by Auchinleck »

I'm playing a Solitaire Global War, still relatively brand new to the game. I was attempting to evacuate Gort and one other British Corps that was noble, if not foolish enough, to try and stem the Nazi tide in France. When I saw Paris was about to fall, I ran them to Nantes to evacuate. There didn't seem to be a phase for embarking them even though I had transports standing by in the Bay of Biscay sea box. Now they seem to be stuck in Nantes, which is at this point occupied France. Are they now just waiting to be picked off at the Wermacht's leisure? Or can they still get out? There aren't even going to be any Wermacht units to attack them anyway, (except for a few Garrison units I am slowly attempting to move to key coastal cities, to deter the British from attempting a quick counter invasion), since I have already begun the slow process of moving the German juggernaut east, in preperation for Operation Barbarossa.
Ingtar

RE: Gort and company trapped in Occupied France

Post by Ingtar »

As far as I know, you would need to send transports into the sea zone after they entered the port, and use the load feature on the transports. I believe you could also reorganize the transports, if you have enough present to leave two reorganized.
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

I don't have my map in front of me, but I don't think Nantes is a port, or even on the coast. You'd have to fall back to St Nazaire, or one of the other ports in the area, and then send the TRS. (IIRC, you can't embark at sea to a transport that has been sitting in the sea zone a few impulses.)
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

I don't have my map in front of me, but I don't think Nantes is a port, or even on the coast. You'd have to fall back to St Nazaire, or one of the other ports in the area, and then send the TRS. (IIRC, you can't embark at sea to a transport that has been sitting in the sea zone a few impulses.)

+1. And that without the map in front of you! [&o] However, Nantes is on the coast. Because the hex hasn't got a full sea hexside, you should only be able to get supply in the hex, You can't embark units from the hex or invade/disembark into the hex.

Peter
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Something seems wrong with what you're telling me. I initially landed Gort and one other Corps in Nantes fom the Bay Of Biscay sea box, to reinforce the French, before France fell. I've moved the IV Motorized Corps to St Nazaire, since I haven't been able to evacuate from Nantes, and I'm still not getting the option from two organized transports to 'load' it onto either of them. What's the special rule that I'm missing?
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

The TRS will be able to load when they move into the sea box. Not after they already have arrived......
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

First, I was wrong about not being able to embark or disembark in Nantes. However, you can't invade the hex.

Now, there are some restrictions on embarking:

Here is RAW on embarking:

Embarking
You can only embark a unit if it is face-up.
A TRS can embark face-up units it starts the impulse stacked with, or
it can embark them when it moves through the port they’re in.

Alternatively, a TRS with unused transport capacity can end its move
in a sea area and immediately embark face-up land or aircraft units
(after any interception attempts ~ see 11.4.6). They must be in a
coastal hex in that sea area.
If a unit you embark is out of supply, immediately turn it face-down.
This means it can’t debark at sea or invade (see 11.13 and 11.14).
Option 26: If you are using the amphibious rules (see 22.4.12),
there are restrictions on embarking.

Question: are the units in Nantes organised? If not, you can't embark.

And than there is the optional rule regarding AMPH:

If you are playing with the amphibious option, you can’t transport
HQ-A, ARM, MECH, aircraft, or artillery units on AMPHs.

TRS units at sea can now only embark a land unit from a coastal hex
(see 11.4.5) if that hex is a port or contains an HQ (this means a
face-up HQ can always be embarked). MAR units, infantry class
divisions, and units embarking on AMPHs, are not subject to this
restriction.

This gives more info on this...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Even playing with the optional Amph rule, you should be able to embark a corps from on top of Gort, and then embark Gort - all in the same naval move in one impulse, because HQs can embark and disembark to/from a TRS from/to coastal hexes and they convey this benefit to units they are stacked with. I think your problem is sequence of play. You can't pick them up until you make one or more naval moves with 2 TRS/Amphs. And naval moves come before land movement.

So: next impulse.
Paul
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

I'm not quite sure which of those restrictions I wasn't following. I guess it doesn't matter just now, because I have decided once more to start the war over again. The only way I'll be able to have any fun playing the bad guys side, is to play without the oil rule. With the Oil Rule, I've found that Japan is continously crippled from being able to reorganize ANY units from lack of oil, and that's with just reinforcing static combat in China, without having sailed even one single Battleship or Carrier anyplace. It's not quite as bad with Germany, but when you have 2 points of oil, and you're being told you need 4.5 points just to reorganize your ground and air forces, it leaves even the Germans weak, in the early stage of the game, when they historically would be the strongest. I can't begin to comprehend how Japan would be able to battle against the American Navy, for even 1 turn, once that part of the war starts. As interesting as the Oil Rule concept seems to be, I continue to experience that it is too much the handicap for the Axis players right from the get go, to be able to even make any kind of contest with it in play.
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Now you know the stakes when the oil option is used. It is not axis friendly.
Playing without oil is the fun option though. [:)] No need to force constraints when playing solitaire. You can do that just by decision making.

When NetPlay is live. I'm sure there will be more than a few players looking to not use the oil option.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
etsadler

Post by etsadler »

ORIGINAL: Auchinleck

I'm not quite sure which of those restrictions I wasn't following. I guess it doesn't matter just now, because I have decided once more to start the war over again. The only way I'll be able to have any fun playing the bad guys side, is to play without the oil rule. With the Oil Rule, I've found that Japan is continously crippled from being able to reorganize ANY units from lack of oil, and that's with just reinforcing static combat in China, without having sailed even one single Battleship or Carrier anyplace. It's not quite as bad with Germany, but when you have 2 points of oil, and you're being told you need 4.5 points just to reorganize your ground and air forces, it leaves even the Germans weak, in the early stage of the game, when they historically would be the strongest. I can't begin to comprehend how Japan would be able to battle against the American Navy, for even 1 turn, once that part of the war starts. As interesting as the Oil Rule concept seems to be, I continue to experience that it is too much the handicap for the Axis players right from the get go, to be able to even make any kind of contest with it in play.

I can certainly understand wanting to ditch the oil rule, but I don't feel it is as restrictive as you indicate. Japan has 4 oil, 2 from United States, 2 from NEI. You just can use them for production. Same for Germany, 2 German, 2 from Soviet Union and however many from Romania. Personally in 1939 I save all the oil (as in don't use it for production) for Germany and Japan (and Italy for that matter). With the low production multiple you are not sacrificing as much production as you will be later. I like the rule as it makes you make meaningful decisions about using oil using units, and about whether to re-org them or not. YMMV
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

You can reorganize units that need 0.4 oil for 'free' if you have at least 1 oil point available. The Axis should always take advantage of this, since combining all 3 major powers, it saves them 1.2 oil points a turn.

Japan may have to leave some units (usually naval) disorganized for a turn, but that isn't usually too painful.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes and you should get one free CP re-org with that too, as it makes only point 45 total.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”