SPM v. 0.7.16 is now available

This forum supports the Early Access Program for the PC for Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager (SPM). iOS, Android and Mac releases are still in development. SPM is the ultimate game of space exploration. It is the mid 1950s and the race for dominance between the US and the Soviet Union is about to move into a new dimension: space. Take charge of the US or Soviet space agencies - your duty is be the first to the moon. Carefully manage your budget by opening programs, spending R&D funds on improving the hardware, recruiting personnel and astronauts and launching space missions in this realistic turn based strategy game.

Moderator: MOD_BuzzAldrin

Nacho84

SPM v. 0.7.16 is now available

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello all,

The latest update for SPM is now available! Please download it directly from the Matrix FTP at ftp://beta.matrixgames.com . When prompted, please specify the following username and password: SPMBetaTester/SpmBeta1114. I strongly recommend you to download the file using filezilla.

Inside the FTP you will find an installer file named SPM-Windows-Slitherine-0-7-16.exe, just download it and run it. Notice that you need to have your installation updated to SPM v. 0.7.15.1 first in order for it to work properly, so please make sure you update your installation to that version first.

For those who prefer to install the update manually, we are also uploading a rar file in the FTP named SPM-Windows-Slitherine-0-7-16.rar. Just download it and overwrite your current installation with its contents. Please refer to this link which features a step-by-step guide on how to perform the patching process.

We apologize in advance for not providing this update via the auto-updater tool: the guys from Slitherine/Matrix are at Pax East 2014 now, so they will create the installer on their return. Please bear with us [:)] You'll also be happy to know that we have found a much more efficient way to store the game data, so now the installer and the future updates will be a lot smaller!

This update is the biggest one we have released so far and it includes lots of changes, such as support for mixing and matching rockets and payloads, a whole new set of manned Soviet missions (PKA space plane, Vostok, Voskhod, several "flavours" of Soyuz, etc), a completely overhauled system for goals and prestige points, random events, UI improvements and a lot more. You can see the full changelog here and, while you are downloading the package, you can watch this video, which provides an overview of all the new features.

Notice that, with all these new changes, many of the strategies and approaches you might have used in previous iterations of the game are no longer valid! The user N_Molson from the Slitherine forums has been giving me a big hand by heavily testing the game during the last week, but we are really eager to learn how are you playing the game and which methods you use in order to achieve your objectives! We'll use that information in order to tweak the database and start arriving at the "final values" so please, feel free to post your AARs and let us know the earliest date that you manage to achieve big milestones (e.g., first man in space, first docking, first lunar landing). Both your fellow players and the development team will appreciate it!

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion
johng5155

RE: SPM v. 0.7.16 is now available

Post by johng5155 »

There is a lot to like in the new build. I am concerned about the cost launch to missions, which I think has gone up substantially. The vanguard mission is over $2k, a mercury mission is over $5k. In addition, you pay separately to open the booster and payload components. With a very lean infrastructure, the quarterly income is under $2k in the early '60's, so the pace of the launches is really slow. Basically, you are limited to 2 open programs at time, and this on normal difficulty. There is a lot of idle time - one mercury and one satellite launch per year [>:]. It does not look feasible to complete the mercury program anywhere close to the historical schedule. No way to get to the moon by 1973.
johng5155

Post by johng5155 »

One possible fix would be to award cash and prestige for reaching a goal. My prestige is around 4000, which is twice what is needed to get the maximum budget increase at the next interphase.
SoulBlazer

Post by SoulBlazer »

New build looks great. It's a little 'borring' to go through the game right now with all the placeholder images and pictures missing, but the same great gameplay is there and the new features are very nice.

I also share the concern about the more expensive programs and launches. In BARIS you got discounts if you had gotten a previous program fully RD'd and had success using it. Not sure if that's being applied here.

I won't have a chance to play really in depth for a few days -- I had no idea this came out on Friday cause I've been using the auto update tool! -- but I'll be glad to post when I got things launched, etc.

The YouTube video you linked was very helpful in going over the new features. :)
The US Navy could probaly win a war without coffee, but would prefer not to try -- Samuel Morison
Nacho84

Post by Nacho84 »

Hello all,

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for the kind words.

We understand the issues with the costs now. Bear with us, we'll keep iterating on it and it will get better in future updates. There's a lot of new "moving parts" now, so getting the balance right becomes tricky.

We're already implementing some new gameplay mechanics that will be featured in the next update. For example, the VAB "evolution state" will limit the type and number of rocket programs that can be opened, there will be a better reliability transfer between programs and employees will gain experience after conducting missions or being assigned to RD. After doing some internal testing, we'll release a new update for you guys to try.

Cheers,
Ignacio Liverotti
Lead Developer of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager
Polar Motion

www.polar-motion.com
spm.slitherine.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PolarMotion

Return to “Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager”