$99? Heck yeah!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

$99? Heck yeah!

Post by tom730_slith »

I got WIF for myself back in December as a Christmas present to me. [:)] I finally got to the point of actually running the Barbarossa scenario yesterday, and am learning like crazy now. I took the highly unusual step (for me) of actually reading all the books, a little here and there.
I played the board game years ago - solo only, as was the case with most of my war games. So I remembered some of the basics, and mostly remembered how much fun it was to re-do history with different choices, the complexity of it all, and REALLY loved the production mechanics.
I've noticed on the forum here a number of folks complaining about this or that aspect of the game. I get it, this is the internet so it is almost a requirement that people gripe about stuff. And of course, the product isn't perfect.
But for me I'd like to say that the books alone were worth my $99 . Really.
Then when I look at the depth of research done for ships and military leaders, well, as a guy that used to exchange WW2 history books with his dad every Christmas, that is just like a cool bonus.
Now that I'm actually getting to "play" a little, I can see that the entertainment value of this game is going to be many times over the $99! If we ever get AI as well? My wife may never see me again! And if there is a DOD add-on? Forget about it!
And even if I didn't enjoy it and think it was well worth the money, I probably would have bought it anyway - "voting with my wallet" - just to encourage game companies to do this kind of thing, which is basically produce a niche product that may not make millions, but that WILL make a decent number of gamers very happy.
I know this had to be a labor of love for the people deeply involved in producing the game, and I just want to say thank you! As you read messages of disapproval please remember that there are a lot of folks that will criticize, but few that will make a difference in the world. While perhaps you didn't discover a cure for cancer, but you have developed something that no one else could have, and that will provide me (and many others) countless hours of fun, challenge and creativity.
Thank you.

cfc20045

RE: $99? Heck yeah!

Post by cfc20045 »

+1
“My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack.”

~ Ferdinand Foch
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

If you are not closely related to Steve (the developer), how much is Matrix paying you for this [:D]?

Twisted1

Post by Twisted1 »

I agree with tom730 100%. Love the game. Worth every penny. Anything more will be a bonus (Get DoD and I will worship the ground Matrix walks on! [:D])

<edit for a complete lack of correct spelling>
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Nice to read your posts, guys. I am sure this will boost morale of the whole team.
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Good post, agree completely, the team rocks and Steve is a superstar!
johng5155

Post by johng5155 »

+1
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Thanks for your kind words... It's good for morale.
Peter
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

+1

I think I already have the cost per hour down below $1. Games that reach that level are becoming rare.
bo

Post by bo »

Hi Tom730, appreciate your kind words as there has not been many since the game was released. You are actually picking up my spirits, I am a beta tester on this game and I am not as pleased as you are [:(] I had a much different feeling when the game was released IMHO a little too early.

I do agree now with the release but for only one reason we have many more eyes helping us with their ideas about the game. I have always been outspoken about the early release, but when the 2 half maps and the AI are completed, I feel there will be nothing but praise for the game. The net play at this moment in time does not intrigue me at all but just maybe I will get to enjoy that way of playing.

Again your comments are deeply appreciated.

Bo
philabos

Post by philabos »

This game is so complex it would have been "early" no matter when it was released.
Try laying the maps out on a table with 6000 counters and see how many mistakes you make. I have had the board game for years and it is
Always been in a state of change.
I am amazed the team did as well as they did out of the gate. It will only get better.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: warrenup

This game is so complex it would have been "early" no matter when it was released.

There's a lot of truth in this statement. These positive comments are very refreshing.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
AndyG1

Post by AndyG1 »

Totally agree with Tom's comments. Matrix were up front with the state of the game, I bought it fully aware of what I was purchasing and no timeframe for getting it just right. Also aware the paying customer would effectively help out with the bug finding, etc. But surely doing it this way speeds up development of the game anyway.

Engrossed by this game, still have to learn so much (never had the board game but always aware of it's existence).

Thanks, to the Team, keep up the good work:).
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Its a Fantastic Game exactly as I remember the original board game. It would be nice to to have a working AI but I am prepared to wait for that.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

[X(][X(][X(] Wow... More supporters than I thought... [X(][X(][X(] [:'(]
Peter
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I love this game to.

Since release I have played well over a hundred hours on this game.

I'm content to play solitaire at the moment as I am still brushing the rust of my playing abilities.

I expect it to take at least a year just to get comfortable enough to want to face another human being. (I'm not counting on the AI being worth anything.)

Magpius

Post by Magpius »

Count me in as a fan.
Treated this game purchase similar to backing a kickstarter project.
I guess I hope that everyone who persevered with an early buy, will be rewarded with a bargain price when an A.I. is ultimately released.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: Agent S
Count me in as a fan.
Treated this game purchase similar to backing a kickstarter project.
I guess I hope that everyone who persevered with an early buy, will be rewarded with a bargain price when an A.I. is ultimately released.

+1

Many people have backed this game with their cash, even if it's not fully complete yet, words of complaint are cheap, but the game has some solid support, keep the faith. [:)]
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

Really glad my post brought out a few other fans, and especially glad it was a morale boost!
To answer one poster, I have no relation to the designer nor Matrix nor anyone at all involved with production of the game. Just really a fan who has seen one too many negative posts. It's just too easy to be an "online critic" and I even found myself wondering "If I post something positive will I get slammed (flamed) by the more critical out there?" Then I just figured, who cares? For me it is just so awesome to be able to play a little any time I feel like it and have my computer handle the set up and clean up!
By the way, concerning cost, I just looked on e-bay and to get the table top version of the game and all the add-ons currently included would cost around $300! Plus shipping and then the set up and clean up time of course!
Anyway, glad I spoke up. Thanks again to EVERYONE who made it possible for this amazing game to make it to computer!
onionking

Post by onionking »

So much truth to your fine words, especially the last sentence. Have these mud-slingers actually read anything at all about WW II? Just finished Mark Zuehlke's 'The Liri Valley' about the I Canadian Corps drive up the boot of Italy. And I just get the impression that there was a lot of freaking chaos most of the time. And if I lose a CP due to a small bug here and there? It was stuck in a port in Africa LIKE THE REAL WAR. These minute problems might actually add a ton of realism.

I am so so glad to finally be able to play a game, even if I tend to cut corners while playing solo.

Return to “World in Flames”