Quick questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwesolick

Quick questions

Post by dwesolick »

Getting re-acquainted with AE after a couple years and have a couple quick questions:

1. In Chungking my fortification build is on but the text is all red and reads 6/(9) 0%. Everything on the base (supply, engineers) seems normal. Any idea what this means?

2. Is it possible to unite the 4 squadrons and HQ unit of a bomb or fighter group, to make them one unit?

thanks!
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Xargun

RE: Quick questions

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Getting re-acquainted with AE after a couple years and have a couple quick questions:

1. In Chungking my fortification build is on but the text is all red and reads 6/(9) 0%. Everything on the base (supply, engineers) seems normal. Any idea what this means?

2. Is it possible to unite the 4 squadrons and HQ unit of a bomb or fighter group, to make them one unit?

thanks!

Usually means you don't have enough supplies or are at max size of forts. Being on the mainland I am leaning towards not enough supplies. You have to have a huge amount of supplies on hand to build above a level 6 fort. I'm thinking 25k, but could be wrong on the exact amount.

I have no idea - never play Allies.
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

Hi Xargun,

Thanks for the quick response! 25k supply sounds like it may be the problem, I know I have less than that in Chungking.

Never play Allies!!????[:-]
"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: dwesolick

Hi Xargun,

Thanks for the quick response! 25k supply sounds like it may be the problem, I know I have less than that in Chungking.

Never play Allies!!????[:-]

I doubt you will see 25k supplies in any chinese base for a Long time.

Yep - been a Jap Fanboi since I started this game. Started playing because of the time period and location (Love WW 2 Pacific Theater) and Naval with air and ground. I knew Japan was the underdog but they have an economy to play with. So much more potential playing as Japan to do better than they did historically. I think I fired up a turn as the allies once just to see the disposition.... looked at a few bases and said "bleah" I'll never invade Hawaii anyways.. and went back to the dark side... much better here...
Capt Hornblower

Post by Capt Hornblower »

Just goes to show how much JFBs know about playing the Allies. Xargun is right about the amount of supply you need at Chungking to build forts above 6 (why would you want to?), but wrong about being able to get that amount of supply at Chungking-- in my current game (vs AI) I have enough supply in Chungking to be able to repair Light Industry. (Burma Road has NOT been cut and I have C-47s flying in supply over the Hump.)

As to your 2nd question, the answer is a qualified "yes". If you disband 3 of your squadrons and your HQ unit into one of the group's squadrons and tell the disbanding units not to re-form, then you're essentially permanently combining the group into one squadron. If, however, you let the disbanding units re-form in 120 days, then you can reconstitute the group with replacement aircraft. Since the US eventually gears up production to a point where there's a surfeit of aircraft, there's no reason to permanently remove squadrons that could prove useful.
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

Hi Capt

Excellent, thanks for the info! One other quick follow-up: does the HQ squadron provide any particular bonus if it is in the same hex with its other squadrons? If not, I'd like to just blend it into one of the squadrons. I find those little 3-5 plane HQ squadrons annoying if they don't provide any bonus or anything.
thanks!
richlove

Post by richlove »

I've never heard of them providing a bonus. They withdraw early in '42, so don't sweat them too much. You may want to consider using them for training instead of disbanding them though.
dwesolick

Post by dwesolick »

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks!
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Capt Hornblower

As to your 2nd question, the answer is a qualified "yes". If you disband 3 of your squadrons and your HQ unit into one of the group's squadrons and tell the disbanding units not to re-form, then you're essentially permanently combining the group into one squadron. If, however, you let the disbanding units re-form in 120 days, then you can reconstitute the group with replacement aircraft. Since the US eventually gears up production to a point where there's a surfeit of aircraft, there's no reason to permanently remove squadrons that could prove useful.

Not sure were you got that from, the answers is no you cannot make one big group, which I think is the question. As you said you can disband (or withdraw) a unit into another unit that has the same a/c but you cannot exceed the units normal compliment.

At game start you do have lots of air units in the US with few a/c, some cannot leave the US, some are HQ restricted. Initially for those that are going to be withdrawn in the first 4-6 months, all permanently restricted and all HQ units set replacements off and give them max pilots set them to train. They train pretty quickly even without a full compliment. These units are not worth the effort to ship. Once you start to build up a pool you can then decide what you are going to do with the HQ restricted units. The HQ units are permanently withdrawn in June.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

Use all those restricted airgroups in CONUS to train, train & train their pilots. These groups don't need a full group of airframes until their Pilots' Exp & Skill gets to 50+. Check their withdrawal - if it says 'withdraw out of theater', manually remove their pilots to Reserve before you disband/withdraw the group.
richlove

Post by richlove »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

Use all those restricted airgroups in CONUS to train, train & train their pilots. These groups don't need a full group of airframes until their Pilots' Exp & Skill gets to 50+. Check their withdrawal - if it says 'withdraw out of theater', manually remove their pilots to Reserve before you disband/withdraw the group.

jmalter, are you asserting that training beyond skill:50 is harder if there are missing airframes? I know that XP generally tops out at 50, but I've never seen any effect on either exp or skill from a lack of airframes.
SBD

Post by SBD »

ORIGINAL: richlove

ORIGINAL: jmalter

jmalter, are you asserting that training beyond skill:50 is harder if there are missing airframes? I know that XP generally tops out at 50, but I've never seen any effect on either exp or skill from a lack of airframes.

Groups will train with no or few airframes, but I find that the more airframes present the faster they train, especially as experience/skill goes up.

In general low experience/skill pilots train faster; 50 experience/70 skill seem to be cut-offs where it takes even longer to see any gains.
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: richlove
Yes - in my experience, a 100% Training airgoup w/ understrength airframes will reach a plateau, then you must fill out the group w/ add'l planes to improve their Training. You don't need 1st-line planes, but you do need to increase the planes to 100%.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”