GD 1938 - Gets an Update

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Twotribes

RE: GD 1938 - with officers

Post by Twotribes »

Trying to start a new game now, should I wait for the new version?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

cannot make that decision for you. If you want the new features, I would wait, if not I would go ahead :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

For Russia, and For France will not be present in the next version of the game that is published.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

That sentence makes no sense.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Maybe I was being too internal, with the comments. The Cards: "For Russia" and "For France", will not be part of the next version of GD 1938. I have a version made now, that just requires Bomburs stamp of approval, and I can reveal all the new changes.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Global Domination 1938, update

(This version: 2.17)

Since the last update I have been busy working with a trade/embargo mechanism for the game. As well as changing some of the map, to accomodate roads and railroads. Also I have added a few new cards, and strategic researches. The latter was necessary since there was a balancing problem with the USSR. A few extra officers have snuck in as well, and Bombur has worked hard on removing bugs in the SFTs and Items, and added new custom units.

Trade/Embargo
The United States now sends 5000 supplies and fuel to Japan each turn. This is done because historically the United States to a high degree made the Japanese war effort possible. It seems only fair that the same should happen in this game. Since there is no easy way to remove 5000 supplies from the United States, they instead pay 8000 fuel to transfer these supplies and fuel to Japan.

This is great news for Japan, as it will allow more flexibility in the early phase for how Japan conducts its operations. Alas, this comes with the cost that Hokaido Coal was transformed into the city of Sapporo. So now Japan has one more city to produce with, but only has the Mukden Coalmines to give them supplies, appart from those that they gain from the United States.

Nothing lasts forever, especially when you are at war. The United States has the option, as long as Japan is at war, to institute a Moral Embargo. The mechanism is as follows: Japan is found out to be at war, United States get the card Moral Embargo. If played, it will reduce the Japanese Oil and Fuel exports, by 0-2% each turn. On average it will reduce it by 0.8% pr. turn. That is until it reaches 3750. At this point it cannot go down any further.

Of course, Japan is not bound by anyone, and will possibly go to war, despite the United States attempts to disuade it. So the next level of embargo: Economic Restrictions might come into play. A card is given to the United States, if Japan at any time is at war with more than 2 major powers. The effect of the Economic Restrictions, are harsher than the Moral Embargos. An immediate drop-off down to 1500 fuel and supplies is made, once the card is played.

Again, this might not deter the Japanese, from anything, it didn´t historically. So if another 6 months pass, the United States are able to play the next Embargo card. Which is Full Embargo. When this occurs all trade is immediately cut off from Japan.

Each of the Embargo cards cost 25 PPs.

Map Changes
The map has been changed somewhat since the last version of the Scenario (v.2.15). Mostly this has to do with Roads and Railroads. Roads and railroads function exactly alike, except for two things: Only Roads can be built by engineers, and trains cannot move or use roads.

There has also been added a Chinese minor supply source in the Northwestern corner of China: Urumqi. This was done as it was found that the Chinese would run very low on supplies if either their major supply sources were taken. Watch out, China just got more resilient. Also there has been a change of the road/rail map of China, as better information was found.

Finally Deserts have been added. Deserts function much like plains, except that surviving there is tougher. So each turn a unit finds itself in a desert hex, it will lose 20% of its readiness.

Action Cards:
A New card had been added. This is the Card Improve Quality.

Each nation now starts off with a meassure of their troops efficiency. For each country they are as follows:

Germany: 100%
Italy: 80%
Japan: 80%
Soviet Union: 75%
France: 85%
Great Britain: 100%
United States: 100%
China: 80%

Each time the card, Improve Quality is played, the effeciency goes up 1%, to a maximum of 100%. The card is given to the player once, each turn, and is removed if unused, before the players next turn. So, if it isn´t used, you won´t have more.

Two Cards have been removed from this version, as they were found to be unbalancing. Those are For France, and For Russia.

Strategic Researches:
Quite alot of change has happened to the Strategic Researches. Most of them have become cheaper, because it was found that there present cost was making them unattractive to use. This should be something of the past now, hopefully.

Only the strategic economic researches, for own people production, and Better training have remained the same cost as before.

And there are two new strategic researches. These are Militarism and Superior doctrines.

Militarism improves own peoples combat efficiency by 15%, and only Japan starts out having researched it. It is only available to countries that are traditionally considered Axis powers. It will also block the strategic research Coalition, and Coalition blocks it. So it is either or. You cannot be militaristic, and have a coalition at the same time. It costs 150 PP.

Superior Doctrines improves own people combat efficiency by 10%, and costs 200 PP. Only Germany starts out with it.

Both these new strategic researches are cumulative with the own troops efficiency. So you can have 100% Quality, 15% Militarism and 10% superior doctrines, and thus get a total of 125% combat efficiency.

New Custom units:
Bombur has worked hard to add a few more custom units to the fray. Now most countries have their own versions of the Heavy Fighter. Also a few other units have snuck in. There has also been added graphics to be able to determine if a bomber is a night bomber, or a day bomber, the same goes for night fighters and day fighters.

Also Bombur has been looking over the OOBs, and the existing SFTs, Items and researches to see if they were all working as they should. Hopefully there are now fewer bugs than ever.

Other stuff:
As mentioned, a few extra officers for Japan, Germany and Italy have made their way into the game.

Also the entry times of officers now vary. That is, if a country goes to war, before it did historically, all their officers will enter sooner than before.

For instance, if Germany declares was in 1938, all its officers will enter 1 year earlier, than they did historically. Of course some officers would then enter in 1938, which would be now, so its only fair that they are made available the turn after you declared war.

The following years have been set as the historical year that the countries entered the war: Germany (1939), Italy (1940), Japan (1938), USSR (1939), France (1939), Britain (1939), United States (1942), China (1938). Some may wonder about the Soviet Union, but it is for game mechanics relevant that they entered the war when declaring war on Poland, historically. So that would make it 1939. Japan and China are already at war, and thus do not get accelerated entry of any officers.

Also the Bug, that gave the Soviet Union too little Domestic Research, when that option was chosen, has been fixed.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Do conquered or allied troops get the specific bonus to fighting? Lets say I don't take cooperation but I take the other is the 10 percent added to the 80 for my conquered people?
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The 10% from Superior Doctrines is not added to non-own people. The 15% from Militarism is not added to non-own people either.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I was wondering why one can not build ports? Since one can not the only way to make use of the islands without ports is to build some factory there.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I was wondering why one can not build ports? Since one can not the only way to make use of the islands without ports is to build some factory there.

Bombur felt, and I think that he may be right, that too many players would just invade places that were illogical, and then build ports there, to bring in supplies. So to prevent that we decided to not let ports be buildable.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Josh

Post by Josh »

Maybe, but I always thought of "buildable" ports as Mulberries, temporary makeshift ports. Then maybe the max amount of supply flowing through that Mulberry should have a max of say 2.000 or something like that. I doubt that is possible though with the current AT engine.
I agree that major ports such as Cherbourg or Antwerp in WWII were major targets because they were so important. If an engineer unit can build a port of similar size *anywhere* on land the importance of existing ports vastly diminishes. That's a bit gamey.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Anti tank guns are pretty weak compared to armor. In my last game Number 6, the French had plenty of anti tank guns against my armor thrusts and while he killed a few tanks the loss ration was way over in my favor.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: Josh

Maybe, but I always thought of "buildable" ports as Mulberries, temporary makeshift ports. Then maybe the max amount of supply flowing through that Mulberry should have a max of say 2.000 or something like that. I doubt that is possible though with the current AT engine.
I agree that major ports such as Cherbourg or Antwerp in WWII were major targets because they were so important. If an engineer unit can build a port of similar size *anywhere* on land the importance of existing ports vastly diminishes. That's a bit gamey.

The designer could make a special port less capable I think. And make it destroyable. Not sure though I don't fiddle to much with that stuff.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Another note. I think saddling China with 60 percent production AND 80 percent fighting power makes them unplayable weak.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I was pretty happy with the performance of my ATG in Game 6, but everyone will judge this on their own analysis.

China did win Game 6, after all, and from my perspective they were entirely strong enough, although very well played I will give you.

Chuck
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I was pretty happy with the performance of my ATG in Game 6, but everyone will judge this on their own analysis.

China did win Game 6, after all, and from my perspective they were entirely strong enough, although very well played I will give you.

Chuck
China won because I went to peace and the Soviets kept me there for a year after which I made alliance with them and when faced with defeat gave them My property in Asia. To be fair I thought their goal was Burma but it wasn't.

In the current game I am China and faced with large scale armor attacks I was completely unable to stop or even delay Japan's drive.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I must admit, that in my game as US/China (game 11) I am having some trouble holding back the japanese, which is why I went over what might be the problem. I decided that the initial Chinese deployment was bad. It was after all a ficticious one, that I had made, based on what I believed was a good defence. As I think it turns out, it was too deep and not strong enough at the point of attack. So I went over the deployment, for the next version, and OOB and redid it entirely. Took many hours, but I am quite pleased at the result. Also I made the deployment more realistic. Which is always a bonus.

I don´t think China was ever going to win the war against Japan, if Japan got free hands to do what they wanted to. But at least China has a better chance now, then they did before. I also added a few extra leaders, which was needed because I this time included warlord forces.

Overall, the new version will have alot more going for it flavour wise, and perhaps balance wise too... Don´t think anybody will take Hangchow on turn 1 now, or.... prove me wrong :)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I spent a few moments last night looking at the ant-supply radius of may sub II's and American TBD's. 50 hexes ! Totally wrong IMHO. A game this scale should not have that kind of reach on anti-supply.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I must admit, that in my game as US/China (game 11) I am having some trouble holding back the japanese, which is why I went over what might be the problem. I decided that the initial Chinese deployment was bad. It was after all a ficticious one, that I had made, based on what I believed was a good defence. As I think it turns out, it was too deep and not strong enough at the point of attack. So I went over the deployment, for the next version, and OOB and redid it entirely. Took many hours, but I am quite pleased at the result. Also I made the deployment more realistic. Which is always a bonus.

I don´t think China was ever going to win the war against Japan, if Japan got free hands to do what they wanted to. But at least China has a better chance now, then they did before. I also added a few extra leaders, which was needed because I this time included warlord forces.

Overall, the new version will have alot more going for it flavour wise, and perhaps balance wise too... Don´t think anybody will take Hangchow on turn 1 now, or.... prove me wrong :)

In my one game where I play Japan I pretty much swept through China, although I was, (am) up against a relatively inexperienced player. The Japanses are simply too much for the Chinese overall in the game, but ok, initial deployment might make that less so.

Sure makes for a fun game as Japan though... :)
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

The Japanese need only build a few tanks each turn and they can easily sweep the Chinese aside. I still say the 60 percent production AND 80 percent fighting level combined are to much, it takes 30 PP to increase the level 1 percent and the Chinese have no time to waste on PP.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”