21 inch MK14 torpedo

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

heckler

21 inch MK14 torpedo

Post by heckler »

Ok, noob back again with a question...

After Jan 1 1943 my torpedoes are supposed to have their dud rate reduced by 20% (to 60% if I read the editor correctly)-do I need to access a port in order to get that? 25 torpedoes in, and of the hits only 5 have gone off. That is what I would expect before the New Year.

And in my data collecting I have been counting "hit! no explosion" the same as "torpedoes fail to detonate"...is that faulty understanding on my part?

Hoping I'm unlucky and not stupid, I think[8|]
Terminus

RE: 21 inch MK14 torpedo

Post by Terminus »

Happens automagically. It has nothing to do with "upgrading" one torpedo device to another.

And your understanding is not faulty regarding reports of torpedoes not exploding.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
heckler

Post by heckler »

Coolio! Thanks Terminus [:)]

I'll just keep thinking positively that I'm due for a good run [:D]

Like maybe the next ten will explode
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

In my experience you will hit AKL's, miss and dud on CV's, tear your hair out & gnash your teeth...

And then go play another turn [:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

One moves at 9 knts and the other can move at 25+ knts so there is a reason this happens [:)]
heckler

Post by heckler »

It feels pretty cool to get the "PB obliterated by torpedo" or somesuch...but I would love for the hits on BB, CA, and CVE to bear fruit. Deadly exploding fruit
spence

Post by spence »

In my experience you will hit AKL's, miss and dud on CV's, tear your hair out & gnash your teeth...

My experience as well.

Historically quite a few Mk 14s did score on IJN warships; mostly in 1944 IIRC. HIJMS Kongo was the only IJN BB sunk but a couple of others were hit and damaged including Yamato. HIJMS Shokaku and Taiho were sunk along with most of the IJN CVEs. Junyo was damaged to such a degree by a submarine torpedo as to be out of the war thereafter.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Spence,

Don't forget that the largest ship ever sunk by a submarine, the IJN Shinano (CV), got stitched with 4 sub launched torpedoes on the way to Kure for fitting out and work ups.

Regards,
Feltan
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

The Kongo was sunk by Mk 18 torpedoes. THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THIS BROKEN PoS GAME!
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Kongo was sunk by Mk 18 torpedoes. THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THIS BROKEN PoS GAME!

Back pain getting to you T?
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Spence,

Don't forget that the largest ship ever sunk by a submarine, the IJN Shinano (CV), got stitched with 4 sub launched torpedoes on the way to Kure for fitting out and work ups.

Regards,
Feltan
True , but she was in narrow coastal waters , not blue water. Her speed and maneuvering were significantly reduced.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

They are in the device database, but no subs use them. That can be fixed in the editor.
-- Mark Sieving
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

I was being sarcastic. The Mk 14 remained the primary sub-launched torpedo until the end of the war; it's proper that it's the device being used in the game.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

I was being sarcastic. The Mk 14 remained the primary sub-launched torpedo until the end of the war; it's proper that it's the device being used in the game.

Actually , so was I. We REALLY need to come up with a Sarcasm smiley. [8|]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: spence

My experience as well.

Historically quite a few Mk 14s did score on IJN warships; mostly in 1944 IIRC. HIJMS Kongo was the only IJN BB sunk but a couple of others were hit and damaged including Yamato. HIJMS Shokaku and Taiho were sunk along with most of the IJN CVEs. Junyo was damaged to such a degree by a submarine torpedo as to be out of the war thereafter.

It was adequate by the end of the war as far as reliability goes. I think they pretty much abandoned trying to kill ships using the magnetic fuse and mostly relied on the contact fuse to get the job done. This lessened the effect of the warhead but they sill did enough damage. I don't think anyone really had a reliable magnetic device anyways. But am speaking with very little actual knowledge on this subject and defer to my superiors here..[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

On other forums I've used, we just had a designated Sarcasm Font Color. Like Red.

Gee, I sure do love the Yankees!!
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

On other forums I've used, we just had a designated Sarcasm Font Color. Like Red.

Gee, I sure do love the Yankees!!

Spit. (NOT in red. [:)])
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

About a third of torpedoes shot by USN subs in the war were Mk 18s. From mid-1944 to the end I believe the ratio was much higher to average out. Mk14 was still probably half-ish in 1945, but it's not true that the Mk 18 was not in widespread use and effective.

In terms of the game I don't see any way where the Mk18's advantages would matter in the engine. No-bubbles isn't a thing is the algorithm, and on-board maintenance is not modeled.
The Moose
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
In terms of the game I don't see any way where the Mk18's advantages would matter in the engine. No-bubbles isn't a thing is the algorithm, and on-board maintenance is not modeled.
Individual torps should accumulate sys, float & engine damage. Not to mention fires! Captain's skills and crew experience would factor into torp maintenance.
/red

Didn't subs usually carry a mix of electric & steam-powered torps? If a modder was sufficiently OCD, he could change some of the tubes in each sub to carry the Mk18 during one of the upgrades.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”