Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1 Help Files and Other

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderator: Jason Petho

junk2drive

Windows 7/ 8/ 8.1 Help Files and Other

Post by junk2drive »

For Windows 7 and 8 the Help files in older games no longer works. MS decided not to include the program that reads these files in these OS.

You may download and install the program from MS.

I had this installed in 8 and after upgrade to 8.1 it no longer works.

EDIT see update below
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Vulcain

RE: Help Files

Post by Vulcain »

Hello,

I have the same problem.I can't open weapon data, user data etc...even by F1,F2... keys.

Chris
Games played : JTCS /TOAWIII /HPS PzC /HPS ACW /Virtual Pool 3 ...
berto

Post by berto »

As of Windows Vista, Microsoft no longer directly supports the .hlp file format. You can download a Windows Help file viewer for Windows 7 here, and for Windows 8 here. I have successfully used the Windows 7 version. I can't vouch for the Windows 8 version, much less any Windows 8.1 version (does one even exist?).

In future, the Campaign Series will no longer support this form of in-game help. It will be PDFs if anything.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Vulcain

Post by Vulcain »

Berto,

I used your file and now it works on my Win 8.

thanks [&o]

Chris
Games played : JTCS /TOAWIII /HPS PzC /HPS ACW /Virtual Pool 3 ...
okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

ORIGINAL: berto

As of Windows Vista, Microsoft no longer directly supports the .hlp file format. You can download a Windows Help file viewer for Windows 7 here, and for Windows 8 here. I have successfully used the Windows 7 version. I can't vouch for the Windows 8 version, much less any Windows 8.1 version (does one even exist?).

In future, the Campaign Series will no longer support this form of in-game help. It will be PDFs if anything.

I searched on Google and there is a 8.1 version for Help Files out. I downloaded and tested and it works for me.
"Robur Ex Vigilantia," meaning "In Vigilance is Strength"

junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

A link would have been nice but thanks for posting. That helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=40899
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I started a game tonight and was told by Windows popup that I needed to install DirectPlay. I selected to look for the program and then installed it. Worked fine after that.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Frickin' Windows would mot allow me to open help files in WF. I can run them in RS. Did the right click on shortcut for WF and select Run As Admin and it worked. grrrrrr
Furet12

Under windows 7

Post by Furet12 »

I don't know why but the programm don't start. Windows ask me to use sxstrace in a commandline but nothings popup. So i don't know what's happend. I just upgrade with windows 7 and put administrator right on the john tiller series...
Crossroads

RE: Under windows 7

Post by Crossroads »

What do the various *.log files (frontend, engine) say when you look at them immediately after a failed launch?
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: nazibuster

I don't know why but the programm don't start. Windows ask me to use sxstrace in a commandline but nothings popup. So i don't know what's happend. I just upgrade with windows 7 and put administrator right on the john tiller series...
The fix for this FAQ is here under the section: "The program has failed to launch" or "The application has failed to start" -- Why?
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Furet12

Post by Furet12 »

I have a 32 bit versoion and i don't find the package of visual C++. I read than it's a problem of side by side in french. So i'm sure you are right but i don't find the file and i write you on the computer whitout any games....
Furet12

Post by Furet12 »

[&o] i found a file and i installed. That work! But i still have my old campaign....Anyway i know how to solve if it have a crash at the end of the scenario. Berto! [&o][&o][&o]
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

Hello Gents,

I've just purchased JTCS and am really looking forward to sinking my teeth into it. Looks like some serious gaming goodness!

But unfortunately I'm having the above mentioned issues with accessing information from the F3, F4 or F5 keys. I installed the Microsoft update linked to above for my machine (Windows 7 64 bit, update KB917607), and also tried running as administrator, buy no joy. Do you know of anything else to try? I'm especially keen to be able to look at the parameter data. Are there other work arounds to be able to see this information for the scenario?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The parameter data is now found in the Unit Viewer that you will find as part of your install. Look in the Tools folder.

Jason Petho
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

Thanks Jason. Before posting I did take a look at the Unit Viewer. It's a wonderful tool for looking at unit specific data. But if there is a way to view scenario specific parameter data (such as terrain defensive modifiers) I haven't figured it out. Am I missing something? [&:]
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Good day.

The terrain modifiers should be in the manual.

Conveniently, the modified TEM also show up in the Unit Display (Press U) when you're playing a scenario.

Jason Petho
tinfig

Post by tinfig »

Thanks again Jason. As long as I'm able to cobble together the same information that I would get if the F3 key worked, I'm happy.

Return to “John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support”