I think something very good just happened (No Khyberbill please)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Icedawg

I think something very good just happened (No Khyberbill please)

Post by Icedawg »

In a single turn, points for enemy ships sunk just jumped from 3974 to 4323.

That's a nice number - 349 - exactly the points for allied CVs such as Hornet and Enterprise.

About six weeks ago (game time), I sank Hornet outright (got the "glug, glug" sound after a sub torpedoed her in an already heavily-damaged state). Essex and Enterprise had been roughed up pretty severely in the same engagement, but I couldn't track them down to finish them off. My CVs were running out of fuel, so I gave up the search mad as heck that they had slipped through my grasp.

Now, a couple of turns ago, I noticed this sharp spike in points for enemy ships sunk. Is this a pretty definite confirmation that Enterprise is in Davey Jones' Locker?
PaxMondo

RE: I think something very good just happened (No Khyberbill please)

Post by PaxMondo »

Yes, likely one of the CV's sunk and your FOW just cleared through ... it can take 5 - 45 days for things to clear the FOW ... sometimes longer, but not generallly. At least this is how it works in an AI game. I don't know if the same mechanics apply in a PBEM ...
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

That's a nice number - 349 - exactly the points for allied CVs such as Hornet and Enterprise.

About six weeks ago (game time), I sank Hornet outright (got the "glug, glug" sound after a sub torpedoed her in an already heavily-damaged state). Essex and Enterprise had been roughed up pretty severely in the same engagement, but I couldn't track them down to finish them off. My CVs were running out of fuel, so I gave up the search mad as heck that they had slipped through my grasp.

Now, a couple of turns ago, I noticed this sharp spike in points for enemy ships sunk. Is this a pretty definite confirmation that Enterprise is in Davey Jones' Locker?

It's a clue. Any way you can look back (or simply look at) the planes destroyed on ground? That's usually ironclad proof.
Spidery

Post by Spidery »

I think the ship sunk VP on the info screen is based on claimed ships sunk. Therefore, all this says is that your intelligence team claims a CV sunk.

You can get a more accurate idea of ships sunk by taking total Japanese VP and subtracting the VP for bases, allied air and land losses, and strategic losses. You need the VP numbers from the info screen not from tracker. For bases, this includes the supply effect and for air the bonus VP for 4E.

I think the only other factor contributing to VP is losses to partisans.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Also, so far as I know, the actual VP total in the bottom left is correct, whereas the subsections (air, LCU, ships) are subject to FOW. So if you didn't see a corresponding increase in your total VPs, then it probably didn't sink. At least not on that day.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

I thought you were going to tell us you won the lottery...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Yes, likely one of the CV's sunk and your FOW just cleared through ... it can take 5 - 45 days for things to clear the FOW ... sometimes longer, but not generallly. At least this is how it works in an AI game. I don't know if the same mechanics apply in a PBEM ...

I thought points for sunk ships were automatically added to the tally on the turn they were sunk and it was just the ship identities that were subject to FOW.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

It's a clue. Any way you can look back (or simply look at) the planes destroyed on ground? That's usually ironclad proof.

As part of my routine end-of-turn checklist, I always look at the "planes lost" screen. I've only noticed carrier aircraft destroyed on the ground immediately after a suspected sinking of a CV. Since the carrier battle in question, I haven't noticed any carrier planes destroyed on the ground. So, I'm hoping my opponent got the CV to port, disembarked what was left of the onboard air groups and then watched it sink. Is this merely wishful thinking, or a likely possibility?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

As part of my routine end-of-turn checklist, I always look at the "planes lost" screen. I've only noticed carrier aircraft destroyed on the ground immediately after a suspected sinking of a CV. Since the carrier battle in question, I haven't noticed any carrier planes destroyed on the ground. So, I'm hoping my opponent got the CV to port, disembarked what was left of the onboard air groups and then watched it sink. Is this merely wishful thinking, or a likely possibility?

It's possible that he got it to a port where he could offload the aircraft, and it sank on its way to a real repair location. I would say it's doubtful that he was able to get it to a port, get the planes off, and then watch it sink in port as the only instance that would happen is with fires. Normally if a ship is going to sink from fires, it's going to happen in a day or two, which makes getting the planes off pretty hard... Not impossible, just hard. More likely that he got it somewhere and offloaded, and then it sank en route to Pearl or somewhere.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

It's possible that he got it to a port where he could offload the aircraft, and it sank on its way to a real repair location. I would say it's doubtful that he was able to get it to a port, get the planes off, and then watch it sink in port as the only instance that would happen is with fires. Normally if a ship is going to sink from fires, it's going to happen in a day or two, which makes getting the planes off pretty hard... Not impossible, just hard. More likely that he got it somewhere and offloaded, and then it sank en route to Pearl or somewhere.

Good. So most likely, one of his heavily damaged CVs just bit the dust. Nice.
Spidery

Post by Spidery »

You need to check the total VP to see if it has really been sunk.

It could be that the ship was in port and has left port with heavy damage. Sometimes this will cause a false report of the ship sunk. If you look at the ship lost screen you can get an idea of where the ship was just after it left port.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”