Deal of the week – An updated War in the East goes half Price!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Surtur

Deal of the week – An updated War in the East goes half Price!

Post by Surtur »

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East, the monster game by 2by3 Games and winner of many awards including esteemed C.S.R. Awards, is now our deal of the week! For the first time and for one week only, this giant strategy game goes 50 % off and can be bought for just $ 39,99!

Together with this Deal of the Week, we also launch the long-awaited 1.07.15 update. This major update includes a number of important bug fixes and rule changes.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is the spiritual heir to the great Eastern Front board and computer wargames of the past; a turn-based World War II strategy game down to the division and brigade level, stretching across the entire Eastern Front at a 10 mile per hex scale. Gamers can engage in massive, dramatic campaigns, including intense battles involving thousands of units with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

Get War in the East now from the official product page.

Click here to download the 1.07.15 patch.

Click here for the full changelog.

HermanGraf

RE: Deal of the week – An updated War in the East goes half Price!

Post by HermanGraf »

How about a discount on some of the expansions? Though i just started playing I would love to keep supporting and buying some expansions for different scenarios.

Man wish i heard about this a month ago before i dropped 80.00$. lol
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I was going to buy Lost Battles during the Christmas sale but it wasn't part of the deal.

I was hoping the expansions would be part of this , I'll be making the jump when it goes on sale.

None the less WITE at that price is a great buy!
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

I was going to buy Lost Battles during the Christmas sale but it wasn't part of the deal.

I was hoping the expansions would be part of this , I'll be making the jump when it goes on sale.

None the less WITE at that price is a great buy!

I'm tempted, I'm more interested in the early battles (pre-1943) on the West Front], but understand those expansions for WITW aren't going to be available to buy for quite a while, so maybe this would be a good way to learn the system and to see if I like (assuming the systems will be similar?) it at a reasonable price, before the WITW early war expansions come out
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

This game should not be more than $39.99. $80 bucks is like robbing a crippled person.

BTW, yes I bought it when it came out. No I'm not a cripple. But I've beat myself up so many times for wasting my money I should be comatose by now.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
steveh11Matrix

Post by steveh11Matrix »

The offer persuaded me to buy the game, so thanks very much!
"Nature always obeys Her own laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
stevemk1a

Post by stevemk1a »

I finally picked this game up too. It was always a game I was on the fence about, but I love WitP, and the Eastern front is a fascinating one. Time to learn how to play this [:)]
STEF78

Post by STEF78 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

This game should not be more than $39.99. $80 bucks is like robbing a crippled person.
it dépends on the time you will be playing it.

For me, I'm sure the hour of play didn't cost more than 5 cents [:)] . My best game's buy ever!
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Been a great value to me over the years. I am still playing it even after buying it day one of its initial release.
coolhc

Post by coolhc »

Hi, I just saw this "deal of the week" promo advertised, and I tried to purchase WITE but its gone back to full price.
Was there a time limit to the promo ? the promo is still being advertised on the Matrix website.
Is it still possible for me to purchase WITE at half price ?
None
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

No idea why it's that horridly expensive in the USA or in english language countries, an Ebay seller in Germany has it for just 9€.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Because the German version was put into retail, and retail almost always ends up with extra unsold copies that eventually get marked down and sold at very low prices. My opinion is that this was the last hurrah for retail for anything as complex and niche market as War in the East.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Joel, et al.

This remark is intended to be respectful and even helpful. I usually "come across" as sarcastic, well so be it then.

You say Wite is "niche" market, well and good. Is a BMW (car) niche market? Answer yes. Mass market is stuff like paper towels,etc.

As far as the gaming market goes the more successful games are intuitive, read that, easy to play. They are more fun because they are easy.

I bought this game early Dec, maybe a week ago i finally found the post that directed me to the updated manual. You had it well hidden in the game files/folders. You also sent me an out of date, and incomplete manual, and i paid for this. Are you guys trying to destroy what market you already have?

If you guys think your product is so complex that it can't be intuitive, then you are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! You're wrong.

There was a real smart guy once, Robert McNamara, so smart he had fixed Ford motor company. He was in charge of the Vietnam war. He was so smart he was mentally ill, ie couldn't see his own errors. He was good at making up excuses. Kind of like the Kieynsian (sp) economists of our present day.

There is a saying in naval engineering that says you have to make things "sailor proof". That means intuitive these days. No complexity in weapons systems, ya think? Well, do ya?

Related notes

1) the American civil war is a large part of the wargaming market. Therefore wite products should have a similar market in europe especially with the emerging middle class (more money and leisure time) in the old soviet union and satelites (sp,again). Ask Pavel about this.
2) my latest "can't figure" item. Playing as sov (first time). There is something about withdrawing to be reorganized for tank and motorized divs. I see something like 20% chance to withdraw if routed. Is that for the whole war? If never routed do they just stay for the whole war. should be if one gets routed then all have 20% chance each turn, max, two per turn (or three). And all go by end of 41.

Don't release witw until its a lot more intuitive. Tell the beta testers "we're going intuitive". Also tell them, "we know you guys are really smart and can "figure it out", great, but what we want is a product that is so intuitive that a monkey can play it, use your smarts that way"

Finally. What do you think the guys doing smart phones and apps are doing? Multiple choice 1) saying things like "our stuff is so complex and niche market that it can't be intuitive" or 2) the obvious answer.

charlie
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Well I paid full price... (extra for the hard copy) and I'm glad I did. For one thing, the game is entertaining with a bit of tweaking.
More importantly, I want to vote with my dollars to encourage and support this sort of game development, because I enjoy grand scale, detailed, wargames for the home computer that attempt to render a reasonably historic simulation of interesting wartime events and contests.

This game isn't perfect, perhaps WITE 2.0 will be nearer so...

(P.S.: The lively nature of a forum that is populated by passionate players and responsive developers/publishers/programmers/marketers enhances the value all the more. [:)])
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

GRex, actually i agree with you.

there would be a lot more dollars to support the product you (and I) desire IF it were more intuitive (easy) to play. Because there would be more sales.

BTW, I finally found my answer re tank and mot units(sov) in 41, it's in the toe upgrade in unit display. Is (are) the unit upgrades and toe changes in the manual somewhere? Might have missed it.

I am sure you guys know exactly what i mean by intuitive, but, just in case, YOU SHOULD NOT, NOT, HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH TIME SEARCHING THROUGH POSTS/THREADS TO FIND "HOW TO" TYPE OF STUFF ABOUT GAME MECHANICS!

charlie

pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

GRex, actually i agree with you.

there would be a lot more dollars to support the product you (and I) desire IF it were more intuitive (easy) to play. Because there would be more sales.

BTW, I finally found my answer re tank and mot units(sov) in 41, it's in the toe upgrade in unit display. Is (are) the unit upgrades and toe changes in the manual somewhere? Might have missed it.

I am sure you guys know exactly what i mean by intuitive, but, just in case, YOU SHOULD NOT, NOT, HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH TIME SEARCHING THROUGH POSTS/THREADS TO FIND "HOW TO" TYPE OF STUFF ABOUT GAME MECHANICS!

charlie

Charlie, I feel your pain but I have to say

1. I read the manual
2. I read the patch notes
3. I never read the updated manual
4. I'm one of the people who WRITE those posts you search for

I also quickly have to say that the (original) manual is more than a bit opaque except where it repetitively reiterates the obvious; I have had to use the search feature (of the manual) more than once to retrieve some important tidbit.

Now it is true that I have been playing the game since it first came out. OTOH I am NOT one of those people who try to "get under the hood" of the game with exhaustive, sand-box tests; IOW I read the original documentation and the notes (attached to the patch files) and learned all I know about the game.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi guys,

thx for responses. I'm not going for the gamey or "cheesy" stuff.

Just for fun here's a partially thought out example of intuitive.

the customer has purchased wite and has decided to try the sov side. He might decide, gee, 41 in Russia, I better start digging in around Moscow and Leningrad. So he looks at the game interface, notices the build entrenchment tab, oh boy!, that looks good. When he clicks there he gets prompted for a pop-up which will say stuff about entrenchment level, restrictions, AP costs, all you want about entrenchment, right there with a click of the mouse.

Nah, not gonna do that, too much trouble, let 'em spend weeks looking, that's what the designers meant by fun.

Ok, that was overly sarcastic and I apologize.

charlie

BTW, i tried the search feature in the forums, Gag!. Hadn't tried search feature for manual.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Playing the game beats reading the manual everyday.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Hi guys,

thx for responses. I'm not going for the gamey or "cheesy" stuff.

Just for fun here's a partially thought out example of intuitive.

the customer has purchased wite and has decided to try the sov side. He might decide, gee, 41 in Russia, I better start digging in around Moscow and Leningrad. So he looks at the game interface, notices the build entrenchment tab, oh boy!, that looks good. When he clicks there he gets prompted for a pop-up which will say stuff about entrenchment level, restrictions, AP costs, all you want about entrenchment, right there with a click of the mouse.

Nah, not gonna do that, too much trouble, let 'em spend weeks looking, that's what the designers meant by fun.

Ok, that was overly sarcastic and I apologize.

charlie

BTW, i tried the search feature in the forums, Gag!. Hadn't tried search feature for manual.

Well, I'm not sure what a tab would do for me, but if I type in the work "entrenchment" I am immediately taken to paragraph 15.3.2 which tells me (in 15.3.2.1) that units will entrench automatically, how to interpret the entrenchment progress status line, how to tell the total construction value for the unit(s) and how much construction it takes for each level and how it is affected by terrain and weather. In 15.3.2.2 I find that I can improve the rate of progress by attaching support engineering units, and in 15.3.3.3 I am told that the civilian population of big cities (identified by name in the text) will assist the units in digging the entrenchments.

My point is that by just scanning the manual OR just the table of contents you can remember that there is something there that can be quickly found with a keyword search. Now they don't give you an Adobe Acrobat manual so I just have to remember that Control-f will bring up the Acrobat search function (and yes I had the damndest time figuring that out the first time [:)])
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Deals of the weak... [:)] yep...

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”