I'm so proud of myself!!!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

HermanGraf

I'm so proud of myself!!!

Post by HermanGraf »

Well i just wrote a long drawn out post but it got deleted since i Couldnt post a link of the picture of my progress, so ill just describe it.

I just finished my first solo scenario "Road the Leningrad" (as germans)! [:D] I was regretting my purchase for a while but once I had time to sit (for a whole weekend) and learn some basics I really got going.

A quick overview: I made it all the way to the outskirts of Leningrad and managed to cut it off in the East with my worn down panzers and hold for 2 turns. However this didnt seem to have the effect I was hoping for and the Sovjets were still well supplied. As I was preparing for a last attacvk with my infantry mud set in on the last turn and cut my hopes to capture the city. It was a "draw" according to the victory screen which isnt so bad for a first timer I guess.

A few things, though I understand (somewhat) the gameplay of WiTE im not sure what to do with the logistic screens or commanders report screens. Oh and the production screens too, what exactly am i looking at? Is there anything I will notice that was drastically effect my strategic decisions or is it just for logistic generals? And i wish the air war was a little more hands on, but thats ok. Its an amazing game and i am glad i purchased it.
carlkay58

RE: I'm so proud of myself!!!

Post by carlkay58 »

Congratulations on your draw! Taking Leningrad can be difficult in that scenario as the historical Soviet reinforcements are committed at a level much higher than a majority of human players make.

The production screens lets you know how your industry is progressing. This is important for the Soviets to track what they can build and the Axis to see what is coming down the road. In a small scenario this information is not really necessary but it is important in a campaign game. By the time you are ready for a campaign game, you should have a better idea on what you need to know from the screens and you will have even better ideas after your first few campaign games.

The Commander's Report screens let you discover what the current state of your forces are. It allows a quick way to manage your forces based on morale, experience, and a whole lot of other stuff. Once again this is not as important in short term scenarios but becomes more vital in the campaigns.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Good job on the draw! For the Axis as was previously posted the Production screen is mainly FYI but important for the Soviets.

The Commanders Report is very useful to both sides. I'm sure if you do a search on it you will find more detailed posts on it. In the Commanders Report you can make adjustments and look at units in bulk rather than looking for each unit on the map.

Another important screen to look at is the Event Log as that gives you information on what happened in the previous turn and reinforcements that arrived.
HermanGraf

Post by HermanGraf »

Thanks fellas. I'm going to try another scenario (Operation Typhoon maybe since it sugguests playing this before a campaign in the description box) before i try my hand in the campaign or PBEM.

I keep reading about this CV 1-1 thing, what is that? I havent understand where to find CV on units until after the battle so I am not sure what to look for.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: HermanGraf

Thanks fellas. I'm going to try another scenario (Operation Typhoon maybe since it sugguests playing this before a campaign in the description box) before i try my hand in the campaign or PBEM.

I keep reading about this CV 1-1 thing, what is that? I havent understand where to find CV on units until after the battle so I am not sure what to look for.

aye calculating the real CV is a bit of an art not a science.

This specifically is something that benefits the Soviets in the period to the end of Jan 1942. After the final odds are calculated, they get an arbitrary +1 on the odds, so 1-1 becomes 2-1, 2-1 becomes 3-1 etc. Its completely arbitrary but allows Soviet counterattacks in the first summer, you'll find some discussion about it that is slightly unhinged in overall assessment.

This is critical as at 2-1 you win the battle, and as the combat engine inflicts most of its losses via retreat not combat, this can do some serious damage to the German side.

What it does mean, if you play the Soviets is that you can use mass to compensate for quality, I have a rough rule of 3-4 Soviet rifle divisions might dislodge a German division using this (ie you have around double the manpower), as long as you set the attack up properly. In truth, it simply stops a German player over-extending and exposing advanced units to counterattacks, but since to win, they have to push things in 1941 it creates an interesting dilemna.

In practicing, don't ignore the Road to Smolensk, its short, more units than Leningrad, and will give you a feel for how to operate when both sides have a lot more units in play.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”