Two Map Scenarios

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: Two Map Scenarios

Post by Orm »

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bo

Post by bo »

LOL, Orm that song and the girl are warm and fuzzy, but wasnt there a song Dear Adolf liked, Wagner's Ride of the Walkure, which was not warm and fuzzy [:(] it was about evil and death.

Bo
Orm

Post by Orm »

My reply was a joke but at the same time I tried to make a point.

My point is that every language can be about evil and death and that is the way many people know the German language. But as every language can be about evil and death the German language can also be as warm and fuzzy as any other language.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Orm

My point is that every language can be about evil and death and that is the way many people know the German language. But as every language can be about evil and death the German language can also be as warm and fuzzy as any other language.

As always my friend your point was well taken and appreciated, but there is a slight differnce at least to me when someone says "attention" or someone says "Achtung, I think I would tend to listen more carefully to the person who said Achtung [:(] Then again maybe it is the second world war movies that make me feel that way.[;)]

Bo
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

You should listen to a Dutchman swearing. With our gutteral use of the 'g' and 'r' it is easy to understand why in a typical Hollywood movie there are sometimes Dutch actors playing the Russian villains (no offense for our Russian friends here, I hope).
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

You should listen to a Dutchman swearing. With our gutteral use of the 'g' and 'r' it is easy to understand why in a typical Hollywood movie there are sometimes Dutch actors playing the Russian villains (no offense for our Russian friends here, I hope).
I like to watch Hollywood movies. But sometimes it gets a tiny bit annoying how they select villains.

I feel that we have gotten a tiny bit off topic now. What was the original topic anyway? [&:][;)]
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: bo

As always my friend your point was well taken and appreciated, but there is a slight differnce at least to me when someone says "attention" or someone says "Achtung, I think I would tend to listen more carefully to the person who said Achtung [:(] Then again maybe it is the second world war movies that make me feel that way.[;)]

Bo

When looking at bootcamp sequences of US war movies, the "attention" turns usually into "ten-tiun" in a voice a typical samurai would not be ashamed off. A lot of the effect is how you say it. Compare how japanese women vs. men are voicing their language. But there are languages where that would be more difficult, The Welsh version of Celtic comes to mind - but our British friends have probably more to say about that.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

ORIGINAL: bo

Bo

When looking at bootcamp sequences of US war movies, the "attention" turns usually into "ten-tiun" in a voice a typical samurai would not be ashamed off. A lot of the effect is how you say it. Compare how japanese women vs. men are voicing their language. But there are languages where that would be more difficult, The Welsh version of Celtic comes to mind - but our British friends have probably more to say about that.
warspite1

Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick [:)]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnl3N1RQedE
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

I feel that we have gotten a tiny bit off topic now. What was the original topic anyway? [&:][;)]

I'm looking forward to Bo's continued tour of Food and Drink of Philly.

Especially the upcoming "Philly Craft Beer Festival". I want to know how many beers were tasted of the 75+.
The Philly Craft Beer Festival has been called as one of the “Top 10 Beer Festivals in America” by Forbes Traveler.
Experience more than 75 of the best craft breweries from around the block, around the country, and around the globe who will be on hand to offer samples of their finest brewing achievements.
http://www.myphillyalive.com/blog/exper ... -festival/

Attachments
beerph.jpg
beerph.jpg (211.8 KiB) Viewed 94 times
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Especially the upcoming "Philly Craft Beer Festival". I want to know how many beers were tasted of the 75+.
The Philly Craft Beer Festival has been called as one of the “Top 10 Beer Festivals in America” by Forbes Traveler.
Experience more than 75 of the best craft breweries from around the block, around the country, and around the globe who will be on hand to offer samples of their finest brewing achievements.

Ahhhh. Can you go with Bo and see that he gets a good beer, instead of Budweiser? [;)] You would make my day... [:D][:D]
Peter
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Ahhhh. Can you go with Bo and see that he gets a good beer, instead of Budweiser? [;)] You would make my day... [:D][:D]

Good lord I did not even know about the festival,[&:] I live a very sheltered life, Peter is right would someone please go with me and introduce me to some high quality beers, if it wasn't for Peter I would still be in the dark ages about beer [:(]

Orm we are so far off track we may never get back to two half maps [:-]

Bo
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

I believe Bismark said that the most important thing about the 20th Century would be..."The fact that the North Americans speak English".

I think things would have turned out a bit differently if German had become the dominant language in the U.S.

Very large numbers of German immigrants came to Australia in the last half of the 19th Century. German surnames are still very common, as are natural blondes [:)] Mostly people just don't think about it, even if they do realise the origin of the surname.

Especially in inland Australia, there were many "Germantowns" and German names for settlements but most changed their name to something more British sounding during WW1. The "beastly Hun" and all that...

I think we could have done with more Scandinavian immigration too, like the American Mid-West [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I believe Bismark said that the most important thing about the 20th Century would be..."The fact that the North Americans speak English".

I think things would have turned out a bit differently if German had become the dominant language in the U.S.

Very large numbers of German immigrants came to Australia in the last half of the 19th Century. German surnames are still very common, as are natural blondes [:)] Mostly people just don't think about it, even if they do realise the origin of the surname.

Especially in inland Australia, there were many "Germantowns" and German names for settlements but most changed their name to something more British sounding during WW1. The "beastly Hun" and all that...

I think we could have done with more Scandinavian immigration too, like the American Mid-West [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster

Good lord Neilster you forced my hand I was born in Germantown a section of north Philadelphia, you mentioning Germantowns brought that back to me.

Bo
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Achtung! Bo Von Deutschtown [:D]

Hope you get out to the beer festival. Looks like a lot of fun. I'll get a Victory Beer and drink it 1 March down in Pacific beach, So Cal.
Have one on me.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Johnus

Post by Johnus »

Any word on the two map scenarios. I'm sure Philadelphia and its cuisine (and the various other matters discussed in this thread) are interesting and worthy topics. Perhaps they should have their own threads.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

They will be a while. No prediction on when, but there are three categories of bug fixes plus any suddenly arising game-stopping bugs that may crop up, and then NetPlay to be debugged - all given higher priority.
Paul
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Got to this thread a bit late, but would like to weigh in on a few things since it sort of got derailed. [:D]

@Warspite: The terms "Tri-State", "Bi-State", etc are more descriptors of a given region than anything else. There are many "Tri-State" areas in the US. Part of the Chicago area interstate highway system is known as the Tri-State because the region has part of Northern Indiana, Illinois, and part of Southern Wisconsin. Here in St Louis, the mass transit system was known as Bi-State because it operated in the St Louis area and across the river in Illinois. The area is known as the "Bi-State" area. There are many examples of this across the country.

How visible German immigrants were changed dramatically with WW1 and to lessor extent, WW2. The Missouri area was a popular German immigrant destination. There are several still sounding German towns like Hermann. Rott road is the name of a road in St Louis county. There is a German district in St Louis (Baden). The Hermann area is interesting from the standpoint that it is a popular area for growing grapes and producing wine.

My Moms side of the family comes from the Quad Cities, which was a popular Scandinavian immigration location, especially Swedish. From what I see, the Scandinavians preferred to settle in the northern parts of the US. Many residents of Minnesota especially can trace their roots to Scandinavia.

As far as "English" goes, well I am not sure what people in Philly call English with as thick of an accent as many of them have. [:D] To me, it is interesting to hear people speak with different accents and try to place where they are from. New England English sounds a lot different from the English in the South, which is different from upper Midwest. Canadian English is another category as well. Most Midwestern types speak an English that can't really be traced by accent other than someplace in America. (I have been overseas several times and talked to different people from different parts of the US and Canada and they generally have no clue where I grew up and live at where someone from New England is very easy to determine).

As far as the single map scenarios go; yes, I would like to see them soon. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I have the feeling that the overwhelming choice between the two is to get the European map going first, then worry about the Pacific later.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Got to this thread a bit late, but would like to weigh in on a few things since it sort of got derailed. [:D]

@Warspite: The terms "Tri-State", "Bi-State", etc are more descriptors of a given region than anything else. There are many "Tri-State" areas in the US. Part of the Chicago area interstate highway system is known as the Tri-State because the region has part of Northern Indiana, Illinois, and part of Southern Wisconsin. Here in St Louis, the mass transit system was known as Bi-State because it operated in the St Louis area and across the river in Illinois. The area is known as the "Bi-State" area. There are many examples of this across the country.
warspite1

Thank-you. I heard this yet again the other day - never heard of bi-state - only ever tri-state and was just curious...

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Johnnie

Any word on the two map scenarios. I'm sure Philadelphia and its cuisine (and the various other matters discussed in this thread) are interesting and worthy topics. Perhaps they should have their own threads.

My deat Johnnie you cannot eat WIF but you sure can eat a good Pats cheese steak, your right the 2 map scenarios got hijacked but IMHO every post gets hijacked.

Bo

Return to “World in Flames”