Beta Patch?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Gaspote

RE: Beta Patch?

Post by Gaspote »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

PaxMondo, did you break the interwebs? My Google Chrome display is showing some pretty funculated text from your listing? Very strange. [&:]

I'm currently asking him, I get the same.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

xxxxxx
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

xxxxx
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

xxxxx
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

There , all clear.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

You see? This thread was using a Beta patch! [:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It was screwed up on my phone using Safari, but just fine in IE. Go figure.
The Moose
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It was screwed up on my phone using Safari, but just fine in IE. Go figure.
I use IE. It's screwed up to me.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Its just a code box ... not sure why anyone is having issues. Since my IE rarely works right, and its working for this, I'm totally confused. [&:][&:][&:]
Pax
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Its just a code box ... not sure why anyone is having issues. Since my IE rarely works right, and its working for this, I'm totally confused. [&:][&:][&:]

A perfect illustration. "Should work perfectly, but doesn't." Steve's right-beautiful irony.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

For most browsers, the code box only works for a limited number of lines. If you want people to be able to see a larger text file, just attach it without embedding it in the post. That way they will just click on it to display it in its own window and can see the whole thing that way. [:)]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

A perfect illustration. "Should work perfectly, but doesn't." Steve's right-beautiful irony.
[;)]
Pax
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

OK, not against using the 'Betas'. I do have at least one concern. I've read that changes were made to the AAA. Now this may have been necessary I really don't know and that in and of itself is not the problem. My problem would be that I would like to play an historical first turn, and from what I've read here its gonna leave those strafing Zeros in the KB with none too many A/C. Is this true? If so is there a way around it?
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

The AA was fixed to be MORE historical not less. So if you want the AA to be correct, then use the beta.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

OK, not against using the 'Betas'. I do have at least one concern. I've read that changes were made to the AAA. Now this may have been necessary I really don't know and that in and of itself is not the problem. My problem would be that I would like to play an historical first turn, and from what I've read here its gonna leave those strafing Zeros in the KB with none too many A/C. Is this true? If so is there a way around it?

This is a nice example of the quandry.

Do you do what most players that started a game before the latest beta patch have done when they raid PH on turn 1? Frequently, the Zeroes (or a goodly portion of them) strafe the AF to damage / destroy airframes in these games.

Now that the beta is out, with it's 'tweaking' of the AAA code, is this still a 'good idea'? If you don't do it (strafe with zeroes), will you achieve results similar to those that other players have? Will you be forevermore talking 'apples and oranges' about your gameplay experiences from this point forth? Will taking this aspect of the attack away from your very important turn 1 attacks change your calculus for what you do and how? Will it change the game? Is it worth it to be someone else's interpretation of 'correct'? Are 'correct' and 'historical' synonyms in your lexicon?

PaxMondo was right before-well, prior to his indecipherable bug-filled ([;)]) post. Here's the information for you. Here are the pros and cons. You decide. You've been given good information about the choices involved. Now it's up to you.
EHansen

Post by EHansen »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

If you are worried about it, do a few historical first turn tests with FoW turned off to see what happens. As far as I know, the betas do not do much to the AA, most of the changes are in the data files, and if you use the stock ones that come in the latest official patch, the losses are minimal.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: EHansen
If you are worried about it, do a few historical first turn tests with FoW turned off to see what happens. As far as I know, the betas do not do much to the AA, most of the changes are in the data files, and if you use the stock ones that come in the latest official patch, the losses are minimal.
There are two aspects to the AAA changes.

Part A was a change to the algorithm that made things more effective. This was done in version 1007 and is included in the 'official' patch 1008r9. We revised some of the AAA data to more effectively use the new algorithm. These data tweaks are included in the scenarios that are downloaded with the 'official' 1008r9 Comprehensive Update. These data tweaks are also included in AndyMacs "updated" scenarios and are the basis for the "default" data values in Babes. The first AAA tweak has been there since the dawn of time and applies to every single game. Michaelm's Beta's change nothing. You are barking up a dead tree.

Part B was introduced at exactly the same time. It defines and uses "alternate" data fields, which are only accessed if the "alternate" attribute is set. So it necessarily defaults to stock, unless a scenario sets the "alternate" data fields attribute. Babes does this as well as several scenarios based on Babes. But don't thing for a moment that AAA is based on the Beta. It is NOT. It is based on device data.
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

John,

thanks for stopping in here. Much appreciate your clarifications.
Pax

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”