Anti Virus Software

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

shunwick

Anti Virus Software

Post by shunwick »

Guys and Guyettes,

I have a Vista 32 bit laptop and a 8.1 64 bit desktop. For the past couple of years I have been running Norton 360 on both. Generally speaking, I have been happy enough with it although it has given me a few annoying little problems of late.

My subscription is up in 30 days and I have been thinking of changing to another anti-virus suite.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
stormbringer3

RE: Anti Virus Software

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, and I love it. It's free, updates often and has never had any issues with my games.
I hope that this helps.
Jevhaddah

Post by Jevhaddah »

Free version of Avast or AVG.

Cheers

Jev
I am really quite mad yoo know!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

norton is very cpu hungry and as always been so unless you have the corp version that is, good anti virus mind you.

most of the free one now days are good, with MSE being as good as any and not as worse as some.

better to have a active and passive solution so you have both covered, i myself use different ones on different pc's.

a brief explanation on passive / active.

active runs all the time, passive runs only when you press the exe / file you are using.

i use eset and norton corp as it works well with my multi use approach but there's plenty that do the same.

plus you need a good cleaner, i use ccleaner for this as it's free and also is good for reg fixing, and then a good malware solution, for this i use malwarebytes but same again there's plenty of others that are just as good.

as with any approach or solution, it's only as good as the o/s -operating system in use and the patch level and use of the owner.

so nothing is ever the same on 2 different pc's or users so no one approach is good for all.

as vista is the o/s in question i would say any is as good as any suggested as the patch level is lower than most modern up to date o/s with many faults going now unfixed as it's no longer a supported o/s same as XP :(
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Stephen, you might consider eset, they do a fine job!
http://www.eset.com/us/

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

Since early 2013 i use windows internal firewall, Baidu Antivirus (free -> has HIPS), Malwarebytes Antimalware, Adguard 5 (keeps the Browser safe), and last not least Winpatrol Plus.

Malwarebytes & Adguard & Winpatrol with Subscription for Life.

P.S. Router with internal Firewall and Stateful Inspection and OpenDNS....

“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I have a Vista 32 bit laptop

For the laptop you might consider Avira. It was ranked highly by the CNET editors, and from my experience it doesn't demand as much from the CPU as the other anti-virus programs.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Like Wings7, I recommend NOD32 for Anti-Virus.
For a firewall I suggest Comodo.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

Free version of avast! plus free Comodo Firewall

No Script for Firefox plus a helping of common sense to avoid problems in the first place.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ESET
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Nod32 here. Been very happy with it for 5+ years.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I can't recommend Malware Bytes enough for adware spyware malware virus detector. On the other end I also use Microsoft Security Essentials. I constantly run updates and scheduled scans. I find usually at least 1 spyware program a week with Malware Bytes. It's getting to be there is no privacy on the internet anymore. I once found 56 viruses and malware on just 1 downloaded Radious mod for Rome 2. I run a scan check everytime I download something. Trust no one and always stay updated and I think you'll be safe.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Thank you all for your comments. Currently checking all of these out.

Best wishes,
Steve
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Just one little extra remark that some might consider interesting... I've tested almost all Slitherine/Matrix Games, and so far with ESET NOD32, didn't have any false positives. [:)]

Edit: Forget my avatar, it's the user which is writing this. Matrix/Slitherine don't endorse any particular anti-virus. [:)]
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Norton has never given me a false positive for Matrix/Slitherine games either. Thanks for you help.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS. I never forget that staff are also people. Well... mostly anyway... [:D]
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Norton has never given me a false positive for Matrix/Slitherine games either. Thanks for you help.
That's becasue we add most of our titles to their whitelist. Otherwise, we would have a winner. [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”