[NON-ISSUE] Spotting Ship Issue ?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DBeves

[NON-ISSUE] Spotting Ship Issue ?

Post by DBeves »

So I am playing the basic warship training tutorial.

I have flown off a Seahawk (the ASW one) and flown over a naval contact labelled goblin five at various heights, speed etc but the helicopter simply fails to ID the contact.
Why is this - its travelling at 3 knts so I presume its a fishing boat of some kind but the Helo wont ID it ?
dillonkbase

RE: Spotting Ship Issue ?

Post by dillonkbase »

goblins are undersea contacts, normally submarines. If you look at the symbol, you will not that it is different than that of a ship(full square)and that it is just the bottom half of the diamond or square, this is the map symbol for and undersea contact. Goblin is an unknown undersea contact just like a bogey is an unknown airborne contact.
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Weather/night could also be the problem if it is a surface unit. I haven't played that mission in ages, don't remember it well enough.
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: dillonkbase

Goblin is an unknown undersea contact just like a bogey is an unknown airborne contact.

This.

Can't visually ID a submerged contact.

If you can get some passive sonar detections, you should eventually be able to ID it over time if it's held long enough. May be easier said than done. If you already have a contact with it, showing as a "Goblin" then you probably already have an early passive sonar track going on it - or your aircraft got a MAD detection hit when flying over it.

Sometimes you just gotta best guess it, but any decently crafted scenario should notify you if allied subs are in your area so as make more informed guesstimates.
RoryAndersonCDT

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

You have quite a few torps on your main ship; and lots of time to reload helos. [:D] Searching for subs with live torpedoes is quite fun! [:D]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

what, not nukes, Baloogan?
RoryAndersonCDT

Most scenarios don't let you play with nukes. [:D] Plus its tougher to make the hostile sub run with nuclear depth charges. The trick with torpedoes is that the hostile sub will hear it and start to run away. Then its a bit easier to hunt them down.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
mcp5500

Post by mcp5500 »

Baloogan, I like the work you have done. Your YouTube videos are always interesting and it help me make the decision to purchase CMANO and now it consumes a lot of my time. The research that has to be done before building or playing a scenario. I have picked an easy one to start with but it is fun. Thanks for ALL of your time and effort. Keep it coming.
RoryAndersonCDT

Thanks! Will do! [:)]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”