A brief word from OTS on 2.04

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

CapnDarwin

A brief word from OTS on 2.04

Post by CapnDarwin »

It has been a little quite around here and we are still all alive and kicking. We are, among our normal family type obligations as spring hits (granted most of us have not "seen
" this spring yet), working on the 2.04 Update. This update is focused on the revamp of Sudden Death (yes, including an option in single player to continue on to the time limit) and a clean up of the various Fog of War elements. The list of other minor enhancements and changes is growing as well and I will talk to those more in detail on Monday, but I can say we are unlocking the scenarios (Thanks to Mad Russian!) making some data updates, additions and corrections, and tweaking a number of gameplay elements in standoff ranges and scooting of units. This will be our last big update for Red Storm in terms of new or enhanced features and other then bug patches we will be focusing our attention on the next game and the work we need for it. We will start to talk more about that as well in the near future too.

Enjoy the weekend!
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
budd

RE: A brief word from OTS on 2.04

Post by budd »

Thx Capn...awaiting 2.04
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Elfastball7

Post by Elfastball7 »

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for being a demanding nag, A couple questions

Is there going to be an expansion?

What about the NATO counterattack? And or conclusion of the war and storyline?

And are East German, Czech, Polish, Belgian, Dutch units etc to be included in the game at some point?

Thanks
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The plan is for an expansion.

The story line continues with another campaign. One with some interesting twists.

There should also be at least one scenario that is set in a different time period.

All of NATO and France are expected to be included as well as all Warsaw Pact nations. There are multiple threads about where the series intends on going that discuss all this at length if you want to know more of our ideas of where the series could go.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
WABAC

Post by WABAC »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

All of NATO and France are expected to be included as well as all Warsaw Pact nations.
MR

I have Missouri reading comprehension disorder. Are you saying that all of these are going to be included in 2.04? Or are they in future versions of the game? I was going to work on forces for Norway but will skip that if you guys are on it for this version.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Okay then.

All of these are in the list of things that proposed. There has not really been a determination as to when they will be added to the series. If you want something added the quickest may be for you to create them.

The next thing on the list for us is to get the code up to the level we want it with the features in place and bugs knocked out. Then we'll work on the next installment in the series.

Things on the 'TO DO List' are finishing NATO/WP military's with theater maps, Vietnam, Middle East, Korea past and future,Falklands - Small Brush Wars, WWII, etc... None of that in any particular order.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Okay. 2.04 will have the fixes and enhancements I talked about above. 2.1 will be a new game with more countries, maps, and scenarios with an improved games engine. More details of 2.1 will be trickling out over the next few months after we get 2.04 tested and out the door. MR is pointing out that we plan to continue expanding on the game engine. We also have stated we want to also hit other geographic locations and times too.

So there is much more gaming goodness on the horizon. Stay tuned.

pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: cbelva
I have been pushing for the ability to set the profile (hold/screen)after a movement order since I have been involved with this project... However, Rob believes he has found an easy way to incorporate the end profiles as an option during the orders phase when you assign movement. IOWs, you can give a unit a hasty movement order and have it end with a hold order. If everything works out, we should be seeing this in 2.04.

So, will some movement order enhancements make it into v2.04 or will these all have to wait for the new game engine? Ideally, being able to issue more specific orders, even for setting some parameters for screen and hold, will be a great improvement. Thanks!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
TAKODA

Post by TAKODA »

I'm very happy to learn that you guys are considering making Middle East and Korea theatre maps, I think they would suit this style of gameplay perfectly and I will definitely be purchasing all of your future products. I found a hex map image that I thought you guys might find interesting, it manages to create the illusion of elevation really well, I love this game so I'm just trying to help.
cartographersguild.com/attachments/tutorials-how/27130d1279266984-wargame-map-battletech-6-mm-games-ykt
I'm not allowed to post links yet, its a jpeg image so you will need to add the extension to view it.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

2.04 will allow you to set the end state of a movement order. Once you enter your last way point a dialog box will pop up allowing you to chose to Hold, Screen, Resupply, or go On Call. For 2.1 we will be looking to code the multi-order waypoints and some basic over arching SOP parameters. As stated above we will be talking more about both items as we go. [:)]

Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: TAKODA

I'm not allowed to post links yet, its a jpeg image so you will need to add the extension to view it.

What do you mean you're not allowed to post links? There is no restriction on posting links. Just copy and paste it in your post.

Good Hunting.

MR

TAKODA

Post by TAKODA »

Mad Russian, when I tried to post a direct link I got a message saying I need a minimum of 10 posts before I am allowed.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I believe the ten posts thing is to deter spambots and such. Post one more and you are golden. [:D]

TAKODA

Post by TAKODA »

OK here is the map image I wanted to show you guys, I don't know if it will be of any assistance or not but hopefully it might help.
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

I and others have posted some questions in the past and I'm wondering if they will be resolved in the update. (Sorry if you've addressed these elsewhere; my time to read all the posts is limited.)

1. Will there be a "hold fire" order or some such so that, for ex, a tank unit does not reveal itself by taking a low odds shot at passing helicopters which in turn find said tanks to be a nice fat target.

2. Anything like an "advance to contact" or "hunt" order? Especially for helo units. I've lost many when they've come across juicy ground targets only to be decimated as they continue past them and directly into awaiting AD units bc their move order tells them to do so.

3. An ability to change move orders with each waypoint. For ex, you'd like a unit to move hastily thru a well covered area but then move more deliberately as it enters an area where you expect enemy contact.

4. A different LOS for AD units. If I'm understanding it correctly, the LOS for an AD unit seems to be the same for attacking ground units as it would for air units. For ex, my AD units will not engage approaching helos that are flying over a forest. It's so frustrating to see helos firing on my troops that, if they were ground units it'd make sense that an AD unit would have trouble hitting them. But since they're obviously elevated I don't see why the AD units can't engage them. I'm thinking of another specific case where I had units on top of - but not at the edge of - a hill. I had an AD unit one hex behind a tank unit when a helo unit approached. If the helo was at the bottom of the hill neither my AD or tank unit would've been able to see it - and vice versa. But since the helo was obviously elevated it blazed away at the tank. Nevertheless my AD unit seemed unable to see it even though it was easily in range. I'm guessing that the AI simply saw the terrain elevation differences and decided a unit in that hex couldn't be seen from where my AD unit was.

5. It'd be nice to actually finish a battle even when the AI has decided that VCs have been met (or not). Usually my battles are close run affairs and it's a bit frustrating when the battle suddenly ends when I think I'm just a turn or two away from moving up a level on the success ladder.

Thanks!
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

I look forward to 2.04 and beyond and would like to thank the folks at OTS for the continued dedication to this game and us players :)
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Added replys in blue.
ORIGINAL: Xenomorph

I and others have posted some questions in the past and I'm wondering if they will be resolved in the update. (Sorry if you've addressed these elsewhere; my time to read all the posts is limited.)

1. Will there be a "hold fire" order or some such so that, for ex, a tank unit does not reveal itself by taking a low odds shot at passing helicopters which in turn find said tanks to be a nice fat target.
A1) We will be looking to address these SOP related items to some level in the 2.1 game system.

2. Anything like an "advance to contact" or "hunt" order? Especially for helo units. I've lost many when they've come across juicy ground targets only to be decimated as they continue past them and directly into awaiting AD units bc their move order tells them to do so.
A2) Deliberate move should be the better choice and drop more into screen if under fire. I'll have to check with Rob to see if we have lost/broken that mechanic in some way with the other changes. It may need some tweaking.

3. An ability to change move orders with each waypoint. For ex, you'd like a unit to move hastily thru a well covered area but then move more deliberately as it enters an area where you expect enemy contact.
A3) This is in the plan for 2.1. You will be able to set end state of orders in 2.04 though.

4. A different LOS for AD units. If I'm understanding it correctly, the LOS for an AD unit seems to be the same for attacking ground units as it would for air units. For ex, my AD units will not engage approaching helos that are flying over a forest. It's so frustrating to see helos firing on my troops that, if they were ground units it'd make sense that an AD unit would have trouble hitting them. But since they're obviously elevated I don't see why the AD units can't engage them. I'm thinking of another specific case where I had units on top of - but not at the edge of - a hill. I had an AD unit one hex behind a tank unit when a helo unit approached. If the helo was at the bottom of the hill neither my AD or tank unit would've been able to see it - and vice versa. But since the helo was obviously elevated it blazed away at the tank. Nevertheless my AD unit seemed unable to see it even though it was easily in range. I'm guessing that the AI simply saw the terrain elevation differences and decided a unit in that hex couldn't be seen from where my AD unit was.
A4) NO the LOS for helos and air targets does take into account the height above the ground. If you have a picture of the case you describe that would be helpful in seeing if there is a bug.

5. It'd be nice to actually finish a battle even when the AI has decided that VCs have been met (or not). Usually my battles are close run affairs and it's a bit frustrating when the battle suddenly ends when I think I'm just a turn or two away from moving up a level on the success ladder.
A5) Sudden Death will be !) adjusted and 2) have a keep playing switch for single player games in 2.04.

Hope this helps.

MSGalileo

Post by MSGalileo »

All of NATO and France are expected to be included as well as all Warsaw Pact nations.

France is part of NATO since the creation. They just withdraw from the integrated military command in 1966 to mainly to keep their launch authority with own nuclear weapons.

The secrets Lemnitzer-Ailleret Agreements between USA and France detailed the role of the french army in case of WP attack (mainly counter offensive with forces stationed in Germany and also some from France).
Modern Naval Warfare Advisor
Xenomorph

Post by Xenomorph »

Thanks for the response. Business schools should use you guys as a case study in customer responsiveness. I try to save prior to each turn so I'll go back and see if I can find that one with the helo LOS issue. Chances are I was missing something but my pc barely survived my wrath as I watched that AD unit apparently gazing in wonder as all those tanks blew up.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Xenomorph

Thanks for the response. Business schools should use you guys as a case study in customer responsiveness.

Thanks for the kind words. We too are gamers and have been sitting on the fence wire like you guys are. Where you ask questions and hope 1 - it gets noticed and 2 - it eventually gets answered. We try to not leave people sit on the fence too often.

Chances are I was missing something but my pc barely survived my wrath as I watched that AD unit apparently gazing in wonder as all those tanks blew up.

My computer is battered and bruised. It fully understands the wrath of gamer!! [X(]

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”