Tempest Marlin (2016) -- new scenario for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Tempest Marlin (2016) -- new scenario for testing

Post by Mgellis »

Here is the beta version of my newest scenario...

It is 2016 and Cameroon is in the grips of a vicious military dictator. He has put down all threats with incredible brutality; thousands have been killed. Rebels are now located in the coastal town of Kribi. The dictator of Cameroon has sent an armored column to eliminate them (and the rest of Kribi, too, people fear). America has decided to act against Cameroon, not so much to help the rebels, although the United States has contacts within the rebel forces, but to prevent the slaughter of thousands of innocent civilians.

This is one of the more complicated scenarios I've tried to put together, so I am interested in how it plays, what people think, how it could be improved, etc. Timing and managing assets are important--you MUST stop the armored column as quickly as possible because the AI will send it through Kibri and slaughter the entire town in fairly short order. Then you have take out Cameroon's air defenses near Douala and get a JHSV and C-17s on station to position troops in Cameroon. U.S. forces include a five-ship SAG (include two Burkes with lots of missiles) and about 40 aircraft based out of Ghana.

Anyway, please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Attachments
TempestMa..n2016.zip
(91.7 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
VFA41_Lion

RE: Tempest Marlin (2016) -- new scenario for testing

Post by VFA41_Lion »

Mgellis, you put out so many scenarios i'm in a backlog of them :p
VFA41_Lion

Post by VFA41_Lion »

So I'm playing through it, almost done. Pretty good scenario, I liked the messages from the rebels. Added atmosphere to the mission, which I think a lot of other ones lack.

Anyway, I sent a couple C-17s with Rangers to Doula and they're just flying around in circles there. I checked the events and sure enough it adds points, but it might be helpful to the player to add messages indicating that the drop is complete and there's no reason to keep flying around there. Same thing with the JHVS.

Other than that, great job!
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: VFA41_Lion

So I'm playing through it, almost done. Pretty good scenario, I liked the messages from the rebels. Added atmosphere to the mission, which I think a lot of other ones lack.

Anyway, I sent a couple C-17s with Rangers to Doula and they're just flying around in circles there. I checked the events and sure enough it adds points, but it might be helpful to the player to add messages indicating that the drop is complete and there's no reason to keep flying around there. Same thing with the JHVS.

Other than that, great job!

Good idea. Messages added to Events. Thanks.

keeferon01

Post by keeferon01 »

Thank you , really enjoyed the scenario.
However are the global hawks workings ? They don't identify any
of the units in your mobile column and I believe they should ?
I marked the column as hostile and fired some RGM-109E and they identify
the column when close enough.
Maybe one for the tech department , any thoughts on this ?
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

Very enjoyable and fast paced, the timing of the column's attack made for a very tense combat, the messages definitely add to this one.
All seemed to work out well. I think the only slight oddities I wasn't so sure on, the B1 strike isn't really likely to be ready in time unless I missed something? Their ready times mean its inevitably all over by then. The scenario effectively ended with the time clock, I don't think you can trigger the win by the air drop and landings?
Wasn't sure if these needed a message, a teleport or just the scenario end perhaps?
Thats only a very minor query mind, all looks done to me and plays very nicely.
Think mine was a minor victory after a tanker disaster of my own making!

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Thanks for the feedback.

The B-1s are mostly there in case there is anything that needs to be cleaned up if the cruise missiles, etc. don't get the job done. (I'm also assuming the B-1s are actually already being prepped for action when the column is spotted--the normal ready time is 20 hours!)

Just curious...what happened to the tanker? :)
Flankerk

Post by Flankerk »

I'd left tankers on station too long, they went RTB so the aircraft loitering on low fuel had been calculating Bingo using the tankers, the next wave of these were too slow. Incompetence really.

"Alas poor Yorick,I knew him Horatio"

#1 Quote of the Harpoon Community.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any other suggestions for this one? Is it ready to submit to the community scenario package? Thanks.
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Give me until tomorrow and I will give you some comments.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I found this scenario to be pretty unchallenging to be honest. The combination of tactical Tomahawks and F-15Es had no trouble clobbering the armoured column before it could do too much damage to the freedom fighter positions, and destroying the remaining forces (or targets?) was then very straightforward. I agree with Flankerk's comment about the scenario dragging on after the troops are landed, but there may not be any way around this.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: NickD

I found this scenario to be pretty unchallenging to be honest. The combination of tactical Tomahawks and F-15Es had no trouble clobbering the armoured column before it could do too much damage to the freedom fighter positions, and destroying the remaining forces (or targets?) was then very straightforward. I agree with Flankerk's comment about the scenario dragging on after the troops are landed, but there may not be any way around this.

Yeah, it either goes really well...or really badly. :) I have an idea...I'll drop one of the Burkes and replace it with one or two other vessels without Tomahawks. Let's see what happens then.

(I'll post the revised version of the scenario later today.)

Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Its a really good scenario, and I appreciate the setting.

Its a really nice scenario where the difficulties as I see is proper logistics (tankers/turn-around) and efficient time sensitive targeting. Thankfully between the JSTAR and RQ-4 there aren't any problems finding and tracking that enemy column. I feel a bit bad of having to waste expensive ordnance on trucks, but I guess that is the only safe way to help get the job done in time.

A recommendation is to add some random civilian traffic on the road as well. As it is now its pretty much safe to target anything that is on the ground. Given the situation of the chaos on the ground I would have believed that there would have been a lot more clutter and risk for collateral damage. Cruise missiles on doppler returns from the JSTAR should probably not be a good solution. The presence (or fear of) of the SA-22 would in this case put the sensible player of from trying to fly too low with the Global Hawk to get a proper ID. This would in turn bring up the need for a proper SEAD mission to secure mission survivability.
Then yet again, the limited time available before the convoy reaches its target it was makes the mission interesting, so I guess that implies some gambling with assets.

My suggestions:

- Add the info about the SA-22 to the briefing, its mentioned as "mobile SAM units from Russia" but should be a lot more detailed since its vital information for the mission. The same with general information of enemy air defence capability in general.

-Give a explanation why its just one airfield that is in enemy hands.

-Add info about the enemy air-force to the briefing, now its not even mentioned.

-Change the ready times for the compass calls to enable them to provide non-kinetic SEAD / OECM against the convoy.

-"Teleport" in some of the RHIBs (launching from the shore) when the SAG gets closer to the coast. This would make them the littoral threat that they probably would constitute and not just target practice.

-To add more interaction in the later stages of the scenario I would suggest adding a random event of extraction of some kind of special forces. Something that would require you to send in a helicopter with proper support.

Yet again a great scenario! Keep up the good work!

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: Pergite!

My suggestions:

Changes incorporated into version 3.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”