which one to get?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

warp7

which one to get?

Post by warp7 »

I'm looking at getting either WITP-AE or the original WITP. I recently bought Uncommon Valor to give it a try and to learn the interface, which appears to be almost identical to AE & WITP. I'm getting the hang of it and I'm ready to take on a wider scale challenge.

I'm asking those who are familiar with both games...how much better is AE than WITP (or IS it better)? Is it worth the extra $20? Does AE require much more micromanagement than WITP or are both about the same?

THanks for any advice you can give.
n01487477

RE: which one to get?

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: warp7

I'm looking at getting either WITP-AE or the original WITP. I recently bought Uncommon Valor to give it a try and to learn the interface, which appears to be almost identical to AE & WITP. I'm getting the hang of it and I'm ready to take on a wider scale challenge.

I'm asking those who are familiar with both games...how much better is AE than WITP (or IS it better)? Is it worth the extra $20? Does AE require much more micromanagement than WITP or are both about the same?

Yes Sir, AE is better. It is still supported and if you stay long enough around the forums you'll see that there are many more posters / players here.

But - there is a lot more micromanagement and for some players who don't like handling that - it is easier to get into and play the original version. If you're the type of guy that wants more control, more options, more delving into the minutiae - then AE is for you. Because believe it or not it is worth the extra onion layer.

[edit] The original witp is more fun to play 'casually', and the removal of the excess certainly makes it an easier game to play.

WITP/AE is not for everyone, but here you'll get the most detailed PTO game available or fearfully ever to be developed in the near future.

This may be the last best game you every play or buy ... or it could gather dust from shear scope. There are smaller scenario's and ways to get into it ... you just need to take the time and effort to get into it.

I've played PACWAR, UV, WITP and AE and have never regretted any purchase - but you are talking to the converted. If I wasn't playing this it'd be Dwarf Fortress.

On a side note, I never found it that hard to get into but then again I like a challenge.

PS> REad the AAR's and see the guides and then decide.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

In addition to Damian's comments, which are spot on, you should be aware that the PBEM status of the WITP community is shaky at best. Look in that forum versus this one for traffic and AARs. If you ever want to play another human AE is the way to go. Also, I played both extensively against the AI before beginning to play PBEM, and AE's AI is far more of a challenge too.

I'd pay the $20 and if the micro is too much just dial back the AI and play "dumb." You'll still get a great game.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I picked up the "franchise" back in the Uncommon Valor days of yore. Really enjoyed WiTP too, but AE is a cut above. It's micromanagement at some level-no bones about it-and the learning curve is immense. But it's the best wargame and probably the best computer 'game' that I've ever played. It's a monster. But, if you're like me, you'll come to love it like no other.

It's absolutely worth twice its price, the $20 difference is just noise if you figure in the hundreds / thousands of hours of enjoyment you'll derive from this game.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

I originally played UV and bought WITP, but was feeling overwhelmed by that game. Finally I took the plunge and loved it. I bought WITPAE and again felt put off by all the new stuff and the learning cliff. I did take the plunge and I'm happy that I did.

Unless micromanagement isn't for you get AE. It's worth every penny and considering the time gaming that it'll give you it's the cheapest game you'll probably ever buy.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
btd64

Post by btd64 »

WITPAE. Most bang for the buck. Everyone above is correct. There are features in AE that WITP doesn't have. the big one's for me is "pilot Management" and the ability to set the path for your TF's. I remember in WITP I had to send a TF to a location and then send it to the base I wanted. Now you can setup the TF with waypoints, refueling options and have it return to the original base. COOL STUFF. Worth every cent. I play this game more than any other one in my arsenal. Enjoy

Also the support is above greatness.
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
warp7

Post by warp7 »

Thanks to those who responded--and so quickly too. You've convinced me that AE is the way to go. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Thanks to those who responded--and so quickly too. You've convinced me that AE is the way to go.

Good choice. And welcome!
Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend......

I assume you meant decade. [:D]

cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
(Divina Commedia, Inferno, Canto III, IX)
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend...
Say good bye to friends and relatives............................Check.
Consult divorce attorney.........................................Check.
Plan excuse for employer.........................................Check.
Buy beer and chocolate bars......................................Check.
Press start[8|]
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
sventhebold

Post by sventhebold »

+1
ssgt usaf 84-91 f-15a/c ops puke 525 tfs & 7th tfs
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

The choice is between having free time and a life OR having WITPAE....... as you can see we have all selected the latter.... so much for brains........
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

The choice is between having free time and a life OR having WITPAE

WITPAE is life.
the life is spice
the spice is the worm.
(cue in Toto music)

(To my PBEM partners)
Where are my turns?
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yep, you don't want to be on DSL when everybody else has FIOS. Buy AE.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend...

I say... I say you got it all wrong... You wiil be absorbed... Forget life as you know it... Run, run, run away fast.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

No just kidding, do it (missery loves company[:D]).

It is truly a great game, but not easy.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

ORIGINAL: cohimbra
ORIGINAL: LoBaron
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
(Divina Commedia, Inferno, Canto III, IX)

+1

Wonderfully apt post.

Regards,
Feltan

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”