Fire in the East 2 Test

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

docgaun

Fire in the East 2 Test

Post by docgaun »

Hello Everybody.
This is the AAR, of the test in FitE2. The scenario is almost ready, and here you can see and post screenshots.
Any comments regarding the design are welcome as well. either her or as PM.

larryfulkerson

RE: Fire in the East 2 Test

Post by larryfulkerson »

I tried to load FITE2 just now and got an error message that said I was using
the wrong equipment file even though everything is perfectly right ( file names, etc. ) and to top it off
after you click that message away the program tries to load the scenario and gets into a seeming
loop or something and goes unresponsive. I gave it two full minutes and nothing gives. I had to use
task manager to kill it. Anybody else have something happen like that?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Hi Larry. The equipment message seems to be a consistent problem with the new builds. Ignore it, it's a bug. Just check to be sure the scenario is using the correct file.

As for the 'no response' message. The scenario does indeed load. It's like the old days when FitE took 15 minutes to load. This is just a guess but maybe it's because the FitE2 map has 490,000 hexes. Then you throw in a few thousand units. Add to that supply that is movement based instead of hex based and you get a situation where even a decent machine is going to take awhile to do all of the computations. Like I said, just guessing but it loaded much faster before all of the units were deployed.

Be patient, it does load.

Also, when you go through expected reinforcements you may end up in the same situation. Not sure what is going on there. Maybe a size thing again.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
loveman2

Post by loveman2 »

Some[&o]body please post some pictures and thoughts on this new updated version please.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Why not? The map - jpeg export and scaled down (personal graphic mod):

Attachments
FITE2.jpg
FITE2.jpg (469.83 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

June 22nd,1941: Heeresgruppe Nord's I. Armee Korps advances on the left flank of XXXXI. Panzer Korps (personal graphic mod):

Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Back to standard graphics and in Heeresgruppe Süd sector - XXXXIV. Armee Korps crosses the border:

TPOO

Post by TPOO »

The time to load will depend on each machine. On my computer in takes 7 minutes to bring up the scenario to the first turn. But fear not Doc wants to double the map size for 4.0!
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

One question regarding the Marine- and Heeres-Küsten-Artillerie units (light blue counters): Some (a lot?) of them start as mobile units, i.e. in Heeresgruppe Nord's sector. These have the normal artillery icon. Weren't they meant to be used according to their name as *real* coastal artillery?

I ask because it's quite some (additional) artillery for HG Nord. And because you didn't use the secondary unit icon feature and i ask myself why?

Or is this still to be worked out (i understand that this is not the final sce version)?
samba_liten

Post by samba_liten »

Oh my god!
It's almost here![&o]
السلام عليكم
fogger

Post by fogger »

it does take time to load but the save game does not take as long.

First impression. Going to need a bigger bar frig.

Second impression. Santa is late /early and bringing all your Christmas presents at once. Will post some pictures shortly
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

A bit of chrome. german guerilla units
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Sorry I had to rub out the end as the file was to big 512K

Attachments
Germangunits.gif
Germangunits.gif (478.71 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

air losses 50% into turn 1

Attachments
airbriefi..fturn1.gif
airbriefi..fturn1.gif (477 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Thought for the day:
docgaun

Post by docgaun »

Awesome. Some stuff already in and we are changing small errors ( Jg without movement, rr art not on railroad ect). The event list is going great, we only need the last events.

Herres Kust Artillerie Abteilungs. Or coastal Artillery units, were mobile units, and actually under Army control and not Navy at times. They were supposed to set up defences at new captured sites, until the Navy could take over, after evaluating the need for permanent emplacements. Usually and mostly made up of captured guns, but a few good German designs as well. Its debatable if they had this kind of movement, but they had trucks and horses attached.
Even the Marine Artillerie Abteilungs, the Navy equivalent, were seldom fixed. Changing site were a great way to confuse allied intelligence. In Norway, transport teams moved guns from time to time. When we think Atlantic wall we all think bunkers, however most of the Artillery in Russia, Norway and Denmark (And the Balkans for that matter) were able to be transported.

If one read up on the story of these units, those in Russia, they were used to fight the Red Army, and not the Red Navy. Especially the ones attached to Crimea, and Leningrad sectors
Cfant

Post by Cfant »

Dear everyone, I was told the developers of FitE 2 wanted to create a scenario, which you can play in an acceptable ammount of time. Is that so? Or is it as time-consuming as the old FitE? Seeing the screens, I'm like:

philturco

Post by philturco »

Im assuming FITE 2 is an improved version of FITE 1. What's been changed? I've been disappointed that most games seem to bog down in late 41 and in my opinion the Soviets can build too strong a line in sprinf of 42.
docgaun

Post by docgaun »

Fall Blau should prevent that. Its a combination of events, the first 2 should make it possible to get into position before launching the real case blue. Here are the event discription

Operation: Trappenjagd
Prerequisite: None
German ground shock 140 for 1 turn
German air shock 140 for 1 turn
German Rail 8000 (Increased by 2000)
Text: Axis launch operation Trappenjagd
Description: The German 11th Army under General Oberst Eric von Manstein clears the Crimea

Germany.
Turn: 100 Theatre option, available for 4 turns.
Operation: Störfang
German ground shock 140 for 1 turn
German air shock 140 for 1 turn
Text: Axis launch operation Störfang
Description: The German 11th Army under General Oberst Eric von Manstein assaults Sevastopol

Germany.
Turn: 106 Theatre option, available for 4 turns.
Operation: Fall Blau:
German ground shock: 140 for 4 turns, then 120 for 31 turns
German air shock: 140 for 4 turns then 120 for 31 turns
German supply radius: +2 for 8 turns
German supply +2 for the rest of the war
German Zoc cost: 0,5 for 4 turns then 75% for 27 turns
Soviet ground shock 80 for 1 turn
Text: Axis launch Fall Blau
Description: The Germans caught the Soviets by surprise. The STAVKA (Soviet high command) thought the main target for the coming German summer was Moscow, much owned to a clever deception plan called operation Kreml. Most of the Soviet reserves were gathered at Moscow. To pre-empt the German offensive the Soviets launched an assault in the South towards Kharkov, and fell directly into the German summer offensive. Here the Soviet newly formed tank corps were utterly cut to pieces. This offensive drove the Germans into the Caucasus, and into the cataclysmic battle of Stalingrad.
docgaun

Post by docgaun »

and yes it takes just a tad longer than Fite 1 to complete moves. Panzers are very strong now, and most action will be were they are. This means that frontlines will be static else were after the front has settled ( If it ever does)

Poor Soviet supply keeps them at bay until they reform their army with events. This removes units (Mech, Cav, Milits, ect)
Teufeldk

Post by Teufeldk »

Me and Doc have finished our second test game (terminated in tur 44 (mid-november 41))

It still seems the game is balanced quite well in 41.

Below in the end position of the northern part of the front.

As the German player I decided not to push too hard in the last turns leading up the the muddy period. The reason for this is, that I wanted my troops to be up to strength, dug in and ready for the Soviet Winter offensive to prevent him from retaking ground, and then hit him with the big hammer in 42 - going for one or more of Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad.

To put it in other words - I might have gotten further in 41, if I had thrown in everything at the end, but that would have been futile if I did not reach Leningrad or Moscow. And that was a gamble I was not willing to take.

We have now begun our third test game - hopefully we will get to 42 in this one.

Regards
Kristian

Return to “After Action Reports”