Recommended Preferences

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

cdoarm

Recommended Preferences

Post by cdoarm »

All,

As I gear up for seeking out my first head to head opponent after a very long absence, what is the community assessment on the best realism and game option settings? Realize I am going to get a possible range of responses but that is cool.

Thanks!
tocaff

RE: Recommended Preferences

Post by tocaff »

Whatever you do don't use realistic weather as it has never worked properly.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

If you are playing as Japan in a PBEM, don't play Scenerio 1 [:)]

If you are talking game settings,
Fog of War - On
Advanced Weater Effects - On
Allied Damage Repair - On
PDU - On
Unless you feel comfortable in changes the initial Japanese attacks around I would leave Historical First Turn On. But the Allied player may want it Off to save the British BB and CA.
1st Turn Surprise On This is needed if you want to recreate the PH strike.
Reliable USN torpeados - Off
Realistic R&D - On Way too gamy with this off imho
No Unit Withdrawls - Off

As far as the reninforcement options I use +/- 15 days for both sides. But totally up you you.

I hope this helps.

I would strongly recommend using either DaBabes B or C mods as both of these use the new map with stacking limits. This makes the game play a lot better. No more doom stacks in the DEI [:)]. These mods also turn off supply being generated by refineries. However additional LI has been added for Japan to make up for the delta in supply generation.

I also recommend playing Japan using the Ironman Dababes which is the same as the Scenerio 2 in stock with the Dababes modifications. Of course if your oppenent is new to the game as well, then a Scenerio 1 version might work. But against someone that knows what they are doing as the Allies, some version of Scenerio 2 would be my recommendation.

YMMV
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Whatever you do don't use realistic weather as it has never worked properly.

Can you give more details as it seems to be working for me just fine. I played all my games with it on without anything that seemed odd or wrong. Of course I am using the betas too.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

In general I agree with Numdydar's recommendations except for Advanced Weather and playing DaBabes mods if you're a new or newly recycled Japanese player. The mod adds an additional layer of micro-management that may be over-kill for a newer player. You can use the stacking limit and extended maps from the Babes site and use them with the stock maps. I would highly recommend the stacking limit map but the extended map is nice too. And welcome back!
linrom

Post by linrom »

Don't use PDU on. It's the most unrealistic setting, period.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: linrom

Don't use PDU on. It's the most unrealistic setting, period.

In your opinion.

In mine, realistic USN torpedoes would be far more destabilizing than PDU on. They work from the first turn and have the potential to blow up the amphib bonus period and beyond.
The Moose
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Unlike a lot of options PDU On works equally for both sides. The Allies can have more squadrons of better plane types just like Japan.

But PDU On or Off is really no going to affect the outcome of the end game. To me it just lets us JFBs to have more fun with playing the game. You would never find anyone wanting to play Japan if all the Allied players insisted on historical game play because we all know how that worked out [:D]

Against the AI, then PDU On/Off can be set to fit your play style. But I would never play Japan in a PBEM with PDU Off again. Just way too difficult to keep track of what squadrons can upgrade to what/when.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

If you are playing as Japan in a PBEM, don't play Scenerio 1

Hi Numdydar, is it really that bad. I was hoping to play this Scen against someone someday. I mean I know its a losing proposition, but does it mean I'll get my head handed to me if I play well. Is it possible to get into '45 in this Scen? I have no illusions about marching down Pennsylvania Ave. or anything like that.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

One pref I learned of last year:
'Auto convert obsolete devices' should usually be ON.

When ON, squads that return to the pools from an upgraded LCU will gradually convert to the squad-type in current production.
When OFF, those old squads go to the pools and remain as the old type.

Depends on what you need, but affects all devices globally. It can be changed in mid-game, at least vs. the AI (dunno about PBEM).
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Hi Numdydar, is it really that bad. I was hoping to play this Scen against someone someday. I mean I know its a losing proposition, but does it mean I'll get my head handed to me if I play well. Is it possible to get into '45 in this Scen? I have no illusions about marching down Pennsylvania Ave. or anything like that.

I've played a few games as Japan in PBEM's. Seeing '45 is perfectly possible, as Obvert's game has highlighted.

The main advantage of Scenario 2 is that you're allowed to make a few more mistakes with Japan. You get more planes and more LCU's, so needless losses don't impact you to the degree that they would in stock.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I've played a few games as Japan in PBEM's. Seeing '45 is perfectly possible, as Obvert's game has highlighted.

The main advantage of Scenario 2 is that you're allowed to make a few more mistakes with Japan. You get more planes and more LCU's, so needless losses don't impact you to the degree that they would in stock.

You're allowed to make a few more military mistakes - with extra DDs, Shinano as a Taiho-class and therefore not worthless, some extra LCUs in the starting months (a few of which are very nice)... however, that all comes with a cost - more supply usage and more HI need for shipyards, armaments, vehicles, etc. And more HI for pilots.

I believe Scen 2 also has some additional engine and aircraft factories, but I could be wrong about that. Scen 2 also starts with large(r) stockpiles at places like Cam Ranh Bay and Truk, which is very forgiving for a new Japan player. It allows you to run your logistics on training wheels for a while, if you like.

I believe you also start with a higher Fuel/Supply stockpile in the Home Islands, which can help counteract the extra supply usage from the extra units and probable extra R&D/industry expansion.

Over the past few months, I've come to think that Scen 1 is better for Japan economically. Scen 2 definitely has the military goodies while still remaining largely historical.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

You're allowed to make a few more military mistakes - with extra DDs, Shinano as a Taiho-class and therefore not worthless, some extra LCUs in the starting months (a few of which are very nice)... however, that all comes with a cost - more supply usage and more HI need for shipyards, armaments, vehicles, etc. And more HI for pilots.

I believe Scen 2 also has some additional engine and aircraft factories, but I could be wrong about that. Scen 2 also starts with large(r) stockpiles at places like Cam Ranh Bay and Truk, which is very forgiving for a new Japan player. It allows you to run your logistics on training wheels for a while, if you like.

I believe you also start with a higher Fuel/Supply stockpile in the Home Islands, which can help counteract the extra supply usage from the extra units and probable extra R&D/industry expansion.

Over the past few months, I've come to think that Scen 1 is better for Japan economically. Scen 2 definitely has the military goodies while still remaining largely historical.

I've only played Scen 2 except for one, first AI GC. To me the naval additions are not that threatening, but the extra LCUs, when combined with no-PPs to cross borders (allowing the heavy tank units in Manchuria to come into central China in a matter of days), are a bear to deal with from the Allied side.

But the biggest bennie IMO is the extra fuel. Alfred long ago laid out an analysis on probable usage in Scen 1 and 2 (from memory), using average, expected fleet movements. A lot of players drive CVs and BBs 3000 miles this way, then 3000 miles that way . . .

But my basic memory of his numbers, and what I've always used to plan to, was that Scen 1 gives Japan about six months of fuel/oil, and Scen 2 gives about 12-13 months. Scen 2 does, as you say, impose HI and supply costs that exceed 1's, so some of the fuel goes there, but the starting economy does allow Japan to bypass PBang for months if they choose (right? [:)]), and not crash the economy. This also complicates the Allied defenses quite a bit.

In the long run it probably averages out against the pilot tax, or near enough. But I still recall Canoerebel, playing Chez da Jez in Scen 2, going ballistic when Chez never seemed to run out of fleet juice.
The Moose
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Thanks guys. Hey Bull, funny 'fleet juice'[:D], I like that term.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

As with anything, it all depends on who you are playing with. If the Allies take some risks and/or get unlucky in the early years, then Scenerio 1 can go later in the war. But against anyone that is good as the Allies, Japan could easily lose in '44 in Scenerio 1.

I only play Scenerion 2 as Japan in PBEM and yes the extra pilots do tax the economy to a certain extent. But with PP costs to cross boundires China still is hard to overrun with compent play. Against a good Allied player, I lost in early '45 playing Scenerio 2 which I was very happy with since it was the first time I played.

Of course if both of you are first time PBEMers, then Scenerio 1 might be good enough. If you wanted to give Japan a slight edge, then you could edit Scenerio 1 and just increase the fuel and oil stockpile in Toyko to match the valsue in Scenerio 2.

As a first time Japanese player in a PBEM, you really need to have a cushion to give you the ability to make some mistakes. Because turst me you will [:D]. Which is why I would strongly recommend just playing some form of Scenerio 2. It will allow the game to go on even afer some errors on your part. of course, if both of you are willing to restart after getting into '43 and realizing how bad things are as Japan, then go for Scenerio 1 [:)].

It is just not something I would ever do. Others here may feel otherwise [:)]
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As a first time Japanese player in a PBEM, you really need to have a cushion to give you the ability to make some mistakes. Because turst me you will .

Mistakes... never. I won't make any mistakes. (The crowd roars with laughter).[:D]

Thanks Numdydar, input received and registered. That still doesn't mean I'll take it, but I know I'll probably regret it.[8|]

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I've only played Scen 2 except for one, first AI GC. To me the naval additions are not that threatening, but the extra LCUs, when combined with no-PPs to cross borders (allowing the heavy tank units in Manchuria to come into central China in a matter of days), are a bear to deal with from the Allied side.

But the biggest bennie IMO is the extra fuel. Alfred long ago laid out an analysis on probable usage in Scen 1 and 2 (from memory), using average, expected fleet movements. A lot of players drive CVs and BBs 3000 miles this way, then 3000 miles that way . . .

But my basic memory of his numbers, and what I've always used to plan to, was that Scen 1 gives Japan about six months of fuel/oil, and Scen 2 gives about 12-13 months. Scen 2 does, as you say, impose HI and supply costs that exceed 1's, so some of the fuel goes there, but the starting economy does allow Japan to bypass PBang for months if they choose (right? [:)]), and not crash the economy. This also complicates the Allied defenses quite a bit.

In the long run it probably averages out against the pilot tax, or near enough. But I still recall Canoerebel, playing Chez da Jez in Scen 2, going ballistic when Chez never seemed to run out of fleet juice.

I should look up the extra fuel at start for Japan in Scen 2 vs. Scen 1. Some of that extra, beyond just the additional HI, is going to be used shuttling those extra LCUs around, and using those extra DDs and such.

I actually think I could have waited as long as I did in Scen 1 also, or at least nearly as long. I did have another Japan game going a while back, the one I took over, and it was Scen 1. In January I still had 90 days of Fuel in Japan, and I could have delayed the taking of Palembang several months if that had been necessary with just fuel from Java/Borneo. I think. I'm not sure I have those saves on my computer anymore. I do know that it isn't THAT dire.

Also of note - I think the Scen 2 stockpiles of Resources may be much higher as well. Somewhere on the order of double the surplus...around 60 days at game start instead of around 30.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I believe the Resources thing is correct, from memory. I tried to find Alfred's post on this--probably 20 search terms--and nothing came up.
The Moose
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well resourses have never been a problem in any of my games as Japan. It is always the damn Oil/Fuel [:(]

Japan has enough resource locations close to the HI so they never have to pull those from further away. Of course that does not stop me from doing that too [:D].

But that is because I tend to roleplay a bit. This is because the game does not model different resource types, like Rubber, Nickel, etc. One resourse to rule them all. So I 'pretend' I need resources from the DEI, etc. to reflect that Japan needed materials that could not be gotten from the areas they controlled at the start of the game. So by having resouce TFs travelling from the DEI to the HI allows me to reflect that, plus it also reflects better on the sub/ASW part of the game by having increased traffic between the HI's and elsewhere. 
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Well resourses have never been a problem in any of my games as Japan. It is always the damn Oil/Fuel [:(]

Japan has enough resource locations close to the HI so they never have to pull those from further away. Of course that does not stop me from doing that too [:D].

But that is because I tend to roleplay a bit. This is because the game does not model different resource types, like Rubber, Nickel, etc. One resourse to rule them all. So I 'pretend' I need resources from the DEI, etc. to reflect that Japan needed materials that could not be gotten from the areas they controlled at the start of the game. So by having resouce TFs travelling from the DEI to the HI allows me to reflect that, plus it also reflects better on the sub/ASW part of the game by having increased traffic between the HI's and elsewhere. 

It's true that Resources aren't a choke point for Japan later on, but the 30 days stockpile vs. 60 days stockpile makes a big difference. I know from experience that being down to only 10 days of stockpiled Resources on mainland Japan is trouble - you will begin to have industry that fails to produce at this point, usually the LI at Yokohama or Tokyo. This is no bueno. So that's only 3 game weeks to have your Resources convoys in full swing. It essentially requires you to jump on Hokkaido's surplus on Day 1, rather than taking a longer term mindset - draining Hokkaido's bank a little more slowly and being able to set up long term convoys that much earlier.

I know I've commented before on Resources for Japan and where you can get them. About half of Honshu's deficit can come from Hokkaido and the Sakhalins. You can get another quarter from Manchukuo/China. But the other 25% has to come from further away. It's easy enough to just have returning supply convoys pick them up - Supplies out to garrisons/supply hubs, Resources back to Japan.

Never Run Empty should be a gunwale sticker for your merchies.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”