Axis & Allies

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ostwindflak

Axis & Allies

Post by Ostwindflak »

Just wanted to share something that mildly shocked me last night. My wife was cleaning out one of the closets in the house and came across some of my board games. She pulled out Avalon Hills Axis & Allies Europe and to my astonishment says "this looks fun, teach me how t play it". She is by no means a "wargamer" so I was a bit taken back by this request.

I set the game up and she decided to play as Germany. We played for 3 hours straight (until 11:30 pm). She was frustrated at first being new to war games, but as she played through a couple of turns she grasped it pretty quickly and was actually having fun (I was again shocked). Instead of cleaning it up after she wanted to leave it set up on the kitchen table to finish it today. (Now this is a woman that does not like "clutter" anywhere in the house)

So if this goes well maybe someday I can get her to try a hotseat game of MWiF or WiTE. [:D] But baby steps first...
Greybriar

RE: Axis & Allies

Post by Greybriar »

I hope you and your wife have many happy moments playing wargames. Lucky you!
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

It's those moments, cherish them... [8D]
Rod T DeMore
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

My wife was a Feudal fan moreso than wargames but still it was something on the strategic level and she enjoyed it. Get your wife into that game if you can, it's a lot of fun too.
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I have all the A&A games. My wife bought me the 25th anv edit but has never offered to play tho!
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

Ostwindflak,

Secret Dirty Trick #634-

Strip naked while shes thinking hard about her next move and give her some sneaky grope. That'll divert her into your trap! [:'(]
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

That is an interesting one I'll give you that. Seems like a play from an old S.O.E. handbook maybe? [;)]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

Just wanted to share something that mildly shocked me last night. My wife was cleaning out one of the closets in the house and came across some of my board games. She pulled out Avalon Hills Axis & Allies Europe and to my astonishment says "this looks fun, teach me how t play it". She is by no means a "wargamer" so I was a bit taken back by this request.

I set the game up and she decided to play as Germany. We played for 3 hours straight (until 11:30 pm). She was frustrated at first being new to war games, but as she played through a couple of turns she grasped it pretty quickly and was actually having fun (I was again shocked). Instead of cleaning it up after she wanted to leave it set up on the kitchen table to finish it today. (Now this is a woman that does not like "clutter" anywhere in the house)

So if this goes well maybe someday I can get her to try a hotseat game of MWiF or WiTE. [:D] But baby steps first...

Jason, that is what life is all about! [:)] That's great!

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

She's prolly letting you win just to be a great wife and amuse you.

When she loses a diceroll and slams her fist on the table - you'll know she's a serious gamer [8D]
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

My current World in Flames wargaming group consists of me, Yvette the air hostess, Carly who's a lingerie model, Susan the glamorous Asian/Australian HR consultant for a major financial firm, my slobby mate Dave, and Madison who's a coffee coloured exotic dancer at Men's Gallery.

We're using WiF:FE (Final Edition) and the girls insist on dressing in fetishistic versions of the uniforms of the major power they're playing, often with riding crops. Dave and I usually just go with something comfortable.

They're always badgering us to play but it's a lot of effort and sometimes Dave and I just want to chill out and watch sport or something [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

My current World in Flames wargaming group consists of me, Yvette the air hostess, Carly who's a lingerie model, Susan the glamorous Asian/Australian HR consultant for a major financial firm, my slobby mate Dave, and Madison who's a coffee coloured exotic dancer at Men's Gallery.

We're using WiF:FE (Final Edition) and the girls insist on dressing in fetishistic versions of the uniforms of the major power they're playing, often with riding crops. Dave and I usually just go with something comfortable.

They're always badgering us to play but it's a lot of effort and sometimes Dave and I just want to chill out and watch sport or something [:'(]

Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Fetish gear, riding crops, basques, lingerie - sounds like our wargaming group. Perhaps we should get some girls to join us....... [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Very good. That reminds me of "Angry of Mayfair" from The Kenny Everett Video Show. He was the bowler hatted prude with the umbrella who was actually wearing women's underwear beneath his suit [:D]

That was a great show. Completely mad.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Very good. That reminds me of "Angry of Mayfair" from The Kenny Everett Video Show. He was the bowler hatted prude with the umbrella who was actually wearing women's underwear beneath his suit [:D]

That was a great show. Completely mad.

Cheers, Neilster
warspite1

....and all in the best possible taste [;)]

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I think Axis and Allies might be more some people's speed than a real wargame like WiTP:AE. Some people can't handle real wargames at all. These are often the same ilk that inhabit the GD forum. Wouldn't you agree, warspite1?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I think Axis and Allies might be more some people's speed than a real wargame like WiTP:AE. Some people can't handle real wargames at all. These are often the same ilk that inhabit the GD forum. Wouldn't you agree, warspite1?
warspite1

I naturally defer to the thoughts of a certain WITP-AE regular who apparently knows everything there is to know about the cerebral shortcomings of the General Discussion forum regulars.

Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

As an update to my original post. We finished the game and I won, but I tried my best to go easy and make it as fun as possible. Ultimately she did have a good time and said she would play again. So that is a good sign! [8D]

I'll have to see what other war games I can get her interested in now so I can eventually set up a monthly game session. [:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I naturally defer to the thoughts of a certain WITP-AE regular who apparently knows everything there is to know about the cerebral shortcomings of the General Discussion forum regulars.

With all due respect, warspite1-there are a great number of cerebral shortcomings of yours about which I know nothing (yet), I'm sure. It may take me years to find them all, so I urge others' patience as well.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

With all due respect, warspite1-there are a great number of cerebral shortcomings of yours about which I know nothing (yet), I'm sure. It may take me years to find them all, so I urge others' patience as well.
warspite1

How could you? There are so many after all. I make Forrest Gump look like Albert Einstein.

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Warspite1, you're one of my favorite poxy gits from this forum site. [8D] You've got a great sense of humor.

Return to “General Discussion”