When Poland Falls

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Auchinleck

When Poland Falls

Post by Auchinleck »

Again I must be missing something, but if I am, it seems to be well hidden, or so subtle, that I'm just passing it up. When Poland surrenders to the Germans, they take over the whole country, no message pops up about being able to divide the country in two with the Soviets, neither is there any prompt for the Soviets to absorb Estonia, Lithuania, or Latvia. I've missed that twice for the 2 games I've started. I need a careful answer on when and where those options appear, at the end of the September/October 1939 turn.
Ur_Vile_WEdge

RE: When Poland Falls

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

The soviets have to grab Eastern Poland before Poland is conquered.

19.5.1 Eastern Poland
The USSR can exercise its Nazi-Soviet Pact rights to occupy eastern Poland during any Allied land movement step. However, it can only exercise those rights if Poland has not been conquered.
You exercise those rights by moving a land unit into any hex of eastern Poland (ignore any units there).
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
Auchinleck

Post by Auchinleck »

Achso! So that is the answer. I fully expected it to be a post Poland surrender feature! Serves me right for trying to prove to myself that I can pick up on most of the subtle rules by playing, without reading much from the manuals.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The same goes for occupying the Baltic States. The Russkis have to move in to them to do that. There are "special actions" that can be chosen during the DoW phase for them to demand Bessarabia, Finnish borderlands etc.
Paul
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Worth mentioning - the Soviets don't *have* to take the Baltics prior to the fall of Poland. They do have to take Eastern Poland before Poland falls, and they can't take the Baltics until they've taken Eastern Poland, although they can do it on the same turn (and with the same unit, even). However, if the Russians try to put off taking the Baltics, the Germans can grab them, pushing the starting line for Barbarossa far too close to Leningrad for most people's comfort.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Yes, but a German DoW on the baltic states (and there are three of them to DoW) gives the Russians the ability to cancel the pact, robbing the Germans of the much needed resources. US entry will probably going up too. Especially if France isn't conquered, Germany is going to notice the loss of oil and a two front war isn't something which I would like to have with Germany. So, as long as France is alive, the USSR has got time to grab the Baltics (which is usually done in 1940).
Peter
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

There is the cheapo method of having the Italians attack and occupy the Baltics, for the truly depraved.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Like that could ever have happened in real life [8|]. Just because the game mechnics allows something like that to be done, does not mean it should be done. Unless of course you want to play in a WWII fantasy world [:)]. Which is fine, but you should just be aware that some of the actions people do in any WWII game, not just WiF, are done becuse of the game design and not based on considerations of the actual period.  
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

There is the cheapo method of having the Italians attack and occupy the Baltics, for the truly depraved.
That would reduce the number of resources that USSR has to send to Germany by three so as a Soviet player I would applaud if Italy declared war on the Baltic countries.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
CanInf

Post by CanInf »

OHHH NOOOO MR. Bill!!!

I think our brilliant hot seat game may have to be restarted! The USSR failed to occupy..... arghhh.... just finished M/A 1940 in the last session, and i was really enjoying it too! but without eastern poland and the Baltic states it's quite a problem.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: CanInf

OHHH NOOOO MR. Bill!!!

I think our brilliant hot seat game may have to be restarted! The USSR failed to occupy..... arghhh.... just finished M/A 1940 in the last session, and i was really enjoying it too! but without eastern poland and the Baltic states it's quite a problem.
I had a game recently where the turn ended unexpectedly and the USSR never took their half of Poland. It was interesting. Once Barb started, the USSR got pushed back to the Urals but held the line in the Caucasus and a pocket around Leningrad and the game ended with the Axis crushed in JA45. Here's what Europe looked like.

Attachments
4Startof..ofJA45.jpg
4Startof..ofJA45.jpg (262.04 KiB) Viewed 55 times
Paul
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I see you had a lot of fun clipping counters [:D]
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

ORIGINAL: Centuur
Yes, but a German DoW on the baltic states (and there are three of them to DoW) gives the Russians the ability to cancel the pact, robbing the Germans of the much needed resources. US entry will probably going up too. Especially if France isn't conquered, Germany is going to notice the loss of oil and a two front war isn't something which I would like to have with Germany. So, as long as France is alive, the USSR has got time to grab the Baltics (which is usually done in 1940).

Peter

13.3.3 US entry actions
20. The Axis declares war on: (if Japan declares war place USA entry marker in the USA (Ja) entry pool else place it in the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
Poland, Spain, Turkey or any American country (1 USA entry marker and a 20% chance of another will be added to the USA entry pool)
Belgium, Finland, Rumania, Sweden or Switzerland (There is a 80% chance of a USA entry marker will be added to the USA entry pool)
Other minor (There is a 30% chance of a USA entry marker will be added to the USA entry pool)

26. The USSR controls Eastern Poland (There is a 70% chance a USA entry marker will be removed from the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
The USSR can exercise its Nazi-Soviet Pact rights to occupy eastern Poland during any Allied land movement step. However, it can only exercise those rights if Poland has not been conquered (see 19.5.1 Eastern Poland).

27. The USSR controls Nazi-Soviet Pact areas (Baltic States) (There is a 40% chance a USA entry marker will be removed from the USA (Ge/It) entry pool)
The USSR can exercise its Nazi-Soviet Pact rights to occupy the Baltic states (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) during any Allied land movement step after it has exercised its rights to eastern Poland. You can only exercise your rights over those states that are neutral (see 19.5.2 Baltic States).

19.5.3 Breaking the Nazi-Soviet pact
If a German controlled unit enters any hex in Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Turkey or declares war on any of these countries, then the Soviet player can break the Nazi-Soviet pact during any Allied declaration of war step. Setting up the Baltic States’ convs is not considered entering a hex in these countries.

If a Soviet controlled unit enters any hex in Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Norway, Sweden or Yugoslavia, then the German player can break the Nazi-Soviet pact during any Axis declaration of war step.

Once broken, there is no longer a neutrality pact (see 9.5), nor a trade agreement (see 5.1), between Germany and the USSR.

The Axis doesn't make a DoW the Baltic States all at once.

Assuming the USSR has not claimed the Baltic States.

When the Axis wishes to declare war on either Estonia, Latvia, or Lithuania it makes a separate DoW on that minor country as a "Other minor". It need not DoW all three at once.

Whereas the USSR can claim all three minors at once after it controls Eastern Poland.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I see you had a lot of fun clipping counters [:D]
Yeah, with the kits we use -- about 3600 of them. Luckily they were done by my friend. The ones I did always ended up the shape of Stop signs. [:'(]

But when I bought KiF recently I found this: http://daveking-c4.com/the_c4_corner_cutter and it works pretty sweet!

Paul

Return to “World in Flames”