Editor Questions

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Erik2

Editor Questions

Post by Erik2 »

RuleVar 326) Naval movement can get ambushed.

This appears to only work with submarines, any way of allowing ambush by naval surface vessels and (coastal) artillery?
Erik2

RE: Editor Questions

Post by Erik2 »

TopAirStack.

This is a way to set the maximum/optimal number of aircraft on an airbase.
I cannot see that exceeding the set number have any consequences.
In my tests I have had 60% overstacked airfields and there are no penalties (that I can see anyway).
I think the readiness should suffer and maybe a few planes get damaged/lost due to collisions on a very crowded field.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

It appears that land units need a minimum of 25 APs to be able to attack. Naval units can attack as long as thay have about 5-6 APs.
Any way to lower the treshold for land units? I would like to set it to 15-20 APs.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I would like to set up an event that brings unit#2 on map as reinforcement if unit#1 is destroyed.
Is this possible, and if yes, how? I have not found any suitable ExecType events.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Replacements.
You need to set a People value in the ExecGiveReinforcement event.
Can you set the people value to -1 if you would like the replacement SFT to be alloted any unit?
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Erik Nygaard

This appears to only work with submarines, any way of allowing ambush by naval surface vessels and (coastal) artillery?

No land units can be involved in this rule. Ambush happens when a naval unit moves into a hex where there are ships that it did not see. By giving more hide points to surface vessels you can create the same effect as for submarines.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

TopAirStack.

This is a way to set the maximum/optimal number of aircraft on an airbase.
I cannot see that exceeding the set number have any consequences.
In my tests I have had 60% overstacked airfields and there are no penalties (that I can see anyway).
I think the readiness should suffer and maybe a few planes get damaged/lost due to collisions on a very crowded field.

The penalties occur when the overstacked unit is involved in combat. See combat details to check out there exact effect.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Post by Vic »

It appears that land units need a minimum of 25 APs to be able to attack. Naval units can attack as long as thay have about 5-6 APs.
Any way to lower the treshold for land units? I would like to set it to 15-20 APs.

The minimum AP needed to do a land or sea attack is the AP required to move into the hex.

The minimum AP for a land or sea artillery attack is the AP required for 1 combat round: 10AP.

This is hardcoded and not changeable.
Vic

Post by Vic »

I would like to set up an event that brings unit#2 on map as reinforcement if unit#1 is destroyed.
Is this possible, and if yes, how? I have not found any suitable ExecType events.

You'll need to use a CHECK CheckFirstUnitWithHistoricalNr to see if a specific historical unit ID is still on the map and if not then use an EXEC ExecAddHistoricalUnit to place the unit you want.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Replacements.
Can you set the people value to -1 if you would like the replacement SFT to be alloted any unit?

No new troops always need a people.

Good luck!

best,
Vic

Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

ORIGINAL: Vic

No land units can be involved in this rule. Ambush happens when a naval unit moves into a hex where there are ships that it did not see. By giving more hide points to surface vessels you can create the same effect as for submarines.

I see, makes sense that moving into the sub hex will trigger combat. I thought it also would trigger if the surface ships moved next to the sub.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The minimum AP needed to do a land or sea attack is the AP required to move into the hex.

The minimum AP for a land or sea artillery attack is the AP required for 1 combat round: 10AP.

This is hardcoded and not changeable.

Ok, I'd rather not mess with the movement costs. So the naval units can fight more rounds because the movement cost at sea is much lower than on land.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

You'll need to use a CHECK CheckFirstUnitWithHistoricalNr to see if a specific historical unit ID is still on the map and if not then use an EXEC ExecAddHistoricalUnit to place the unit you want.

Thanks , will try this. I am trying to emulate the German use of sailors as infantry after the sinking of the German destroyers at Narvik.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Replacements.

No new troops always need a people.

Good luck!

best,
Vic

Thank you.
Erik2

ExecMessage

Post by Erik2 »

You can add an event pic to a message, but the program asks for an Event Pic nr.
The pictures under graphics/axis general/marcevents (Blitzkrieg game) only have names, not numbers.
Do you enter the picture name in Real String?

Edit: I found some message events with numbers like 9 and 10 for pics. Does this mean that the program assigns numbers to pictures according to their alphabetical order?

Also, which folder must the pics reside in?

Edit2: I think I found it. You create a list in the EventPics and use this number in the event.

Attachments
event graphics.jpg
event graphics.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Erik2

ExecAddHistoricalUnit

Post by Erik2 »

One of the options is called 'Dispersion in hex' with a default 0 entered.
What does this mean and what values are available?
Vic

RE: ExecAddHistoricalUnit

Post by Vic »

0 means no dispersion.
>0 means the unit could appear in a neighbouring hex.

Best,
Vic
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

0 means no dispersion.
>0 means the unit could appear in a neighbouring hex.

Best,
Vic

Nice, does the number indicate the maximum number of hexes away from the default?

Edit: Also, if the event checks the hex owner for the default hex, does it check for neighbouring hexes as well if dispersion is on?
Vic

Post by Vic »

The possible dispersion hexes are only ones with the same owner as the hex specified.

There is no limit to the dispersion distance.

best,
Vic
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Just want to say I am learning a lot from following this thread... keep going lol [:)]

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”