Age of Wonders III

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

RE: Age of Wonders III

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: radic202

I finished a long play session last evening and all and all I like it but it just feels like I am missing something, think may just be that it is not deep enough for me, that is just a personal opinion.
I find game as deep or deeper than Panzer Corps demo. In Random Map play option you can pick Empire Building as scenario option and then it is almost like Civilization (I have the original floppy disks & manuals and played the game before I learned english) with fantasy/magical theme, tactical combat, and RPG elements.

The thing that irks me from the movies I've watched of people playing the game is in some battles the whole ai leaves the fort to come out and fight melee, the other is they don't focus on one unit like we do.
Ranged units stay at/behind the walls if player units are within their range. For some reason enemy seems to concentrate on 2 of my units at the time, often at the weak Storm Sisters or other ranged/weak unit even though two stronger units are just as close.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Can Age of Wonders III be modded?
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Can Age of Wonders III be modded?
I asked about it in game's GOG forum. Answer:
Modding: There's a level editor that is really powerful. but unit stats for example cannot be modded (yet).
At least we can make scenarios...

[edit]
I have one serious gripe about the game: only form of manual is readable only within the game, and stuff on it are in alphabetical order. At least it has search tool, but searchword "bridge" gives 0 results. Anyway bridges can't be built nor destroyed, and ship can sail under them. Still only way to get info to paper is through screenshots and image processing software, and there is no reasonable way to get it to iPhone.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Dominions 3 or 4 are the fantasy 4x games for me..
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Dominions 3 or 4 are the fantasy 4x games for me..

I really like these too, awesome stuff
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Played first campaign, tutorial really, and it was good.
Started a random world and so far that is good too. If you liked AOW II then you will like this.

AI is a bit uneasy. Doesn't combine if kill in tactical very well. But sneaky units have attacked rear area cities and caused trouble for unguarded areas. And I've lost a air few heroes in battle.
I expect when I encounter enemy with more powerful units the battles will be much tougher.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Age of wonders was one of my favorites years ago...I'd love to pick this up by I find my taste is changing I'm enjoying lighter stuff lately. If I see a 'tech tree' I usually head for the hills.

Still I may have to try it; just not sure when[:(]
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Enjoying this a lot so far. It's added a lot of new even allowing for the fact a lot seems to have been held back for the inevitable DLC, but retains the flavour of the first three.

The series is my favourite in this genre, after HoMM lost the plot after III. I like the Dominions games too, but they play so differently from HoMM, Disciples, AoW etc. I'd place them in a different category altogether.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Now keep in mind major change in AoW3 is graphics. There can be some other changes as well. Anyway if you have played AoW serie before, this 4th game (Shadow Magic is 3rd game) can feel repetitive, and that made it major dissapointment for one player. On otherhand, some others say game has changed enough and some others seem to think game has changed too much.

Anyway it could be best game of the serie for new players, except some of those seem to think it has took after Civilization V becouse of hexes. Yeah, someone should tell them AoW serie has been that ever since 1999 [:-]

[edit]
I'm newcomer to the serie. I have learned about earlier games from YouTube's "let's play" videos and AoW2: Wizard's Throne demo.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I'm spending less time with the campaign and more with the random map. Setting it up reminds me about original Civilization in a good way (I still have the floppies and the manuals and the back ups). There just is some charm exploring the maps, crawling the dungeons (I need more flame tanks), and building new cities within constraints of Limited # of units becouse of atrociously high upkeep. This is my leader ( = A0/HQ unit)

MekWars
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Cranked up the difficulty level and the AI has beaten me on the last two random maps . The third one was a WW1 style stalemate. Neither of us could produce enough units to take the citadel and have enough left to hold it too.

If you were wavering I think it's good enough to get.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

You know, you can send cheap units to occupy gold mines in opponent's domain. That reduces gold income, and should opponent go after your units there, then that weakens him elsewhere. In first scenario of the elven campaign, I did that with fairies, and when AI force couldn't pay upkeep for all the units, those became independent and I had over 3-1 superiority in final battle for capital.

MekWars
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

After reading the "professional" reviews and studying the Steam Forum, I think I finally have the discipline to wait for a change. I think I saw Dom4 on sale for like $8 already at GG. It's crazy. There's simply no reason to buy it now unless money is of absolutely no object. Meanwhile, there is CMx2 RT for $55, and you know the price on that is not going to change. With the plethora of RT mods down the road, AoW3 doesn't have a fraction of the content for my tastes. But when it is all patched up and $20 or so during the Steam summer sale, I will give it a try based on your comments.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think the fact that the users rated it below Goat Simulator says a lot for the game. That was so funny to see Goat Simulator of all things above AOW III (in the user catagory of voting of course), later other things surpassed it but for awhile it was just Goat Simulator and too funny for words.

What really hurt the game though I later found out was that 3rd party registration bs. A lot of people on the official forums were pissed about it and disgruntled and said they never would have bought the game had they known about it. So, I guess the only way to feel satisfaction was to give it a low score on Metacritic.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

What really hurt the game though I later found out was that 3rd party registration bs.
Who's the 3rd party? Steam? Buy from GOG. Or if you mean Triumph account, that is for multiplayer only. Single player can be played without it. I don't really get the bitching about it. Such multiplayer requirements have been standard for some time. Else we would need to know other player's IP address or install 3rd party software, like GameSpy, with its own user registration.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I think I saw Dom4 on sale for like $8 already at GG.
GG = ??

MekWars
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

What really hurt the game though I later found out was that 3rd party registration bs.
Who's the 3rd party? Steam? Buy from GOG. Or if you mean Triumph account, that is for multiplayer only. Single player can be played without it. I don't really get the bitching about it. Such multiplayer requirements have been standard for some time. Else we would need to know other player's IP address or install 3rd party software, like GameSpy, with its own user registration.

It was not made clear that a 3rd party account had to be made and registered at Triumph. Regardless of how it has been done in the past the fact that "no mention" of this type of registration was required to play multiplayer or not. It was very unclear to the patrons and for that they are mad about it thus the low scores.

Also, you are wrong about it's always been that way because I play Magic the Gathering multiplayer online and I didn't have to register at another place to play. In fact I didn't have to register anywhere at all. I just clicked multiplayer and I was ther playing two headed giant and single matches and some other type of multiplayer with 1 elite ai and 3 opponents. Next up is X-Com Enemy Unknown, no other registration required, Talisman Digital Edition same thing just click multiplayer and no other registration required. I could list others as well where there is no 3rd party registrations to play multiplayer that are played directly from Steam.
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
ORIGINAL: rosseau

I think I saw Dom4 on sale for like $8 already at GG.
GG = ??

http://www.gamersgate.com/offers
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I could list others as well where there is no 3rd party registrations to play multiplayer that are played directly from Steam.
Steam = 3rd party

MekWars
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Just realised - I don't really play this game. last loaded 1/5.

Its too sluggish. the maps are big, which is good. But for a successful attack on a fortified home citadel you need 4 armies of 6 units. So its 24 units required with a half as many again in case the main assault fails. Takes a long time to build and trek all those units across the map. And deal with a few pesky raids. And keep the majority of your own cities amply defended in case of an attack

Just takes a long time to do not very much.

Return to “General Discussion”