Which support unit will get assigned

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Tarhunnas

Which support unit will get assigned

Post by Tarhunnas »

It feels like I should know this after several years of playing WITE, but this game has so many layers and mysteries (which I guess is what keeps it fresh).

When I assign a support unit to a corps, what are the priorities for selecting which one gets assigned? Say there is a sapper regiment at army, another one at front and a third one at STAVKA, which one will get assigned? And is there a priority depending on morale and experience?
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
821Bobo

RE: Which support unit will get assigned

Post by 821Bobo »

For quite some time I am wondering about this too. I have noticed that sometimes SU had been assigned from STAVKA even the same type was available in Front HQ.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

It should come from the Army HQ first, then Front, finally I'm guessing STAVKA although generally I don't keep those type of support units anywhere but at Army HQ.
As far as the method for deciding which unit is selected, it seems to be simple unit numerical order. 1st Sapper Regt, 2nd Sapper Regt, etc. and please don't ask me how guards regiments figure into it. [;)]
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

7.6.3.3. CONSTRUCTION AND ENGINEER PERMANENT SUPPORT LEVELS
Construction and engineer support units have permanently assigned support level settings
that override player support level settings, with the exception of “LOCKED,” which will stop the
automatic transfer of any support units from the “LOCKED” headquarters unit. The permanent
support level settings for construction and engineer values are as follows:

Headquarters Type Construction Engineer
High Command (Type 1) 0 0
Army Group/Front (Type 2) 16 4
Army (Type 3) 3 3
Corps (Type 4) 2 2

that means you ar far more likely to receive engineers from OKH or STAVKA since it is doubtfull that army group or army has the required 3 and 4 engineer assets .
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Support unit assignments & their effects is interesting...

My approach is to get pretty much 1 of everything to the corps, drain army & army groups of all and wheel OKH around to serve detail refinements at the various corps HQs. Do this by setting the support levels to 1s at corps & zeroes at army/army group. OKH 9. When so achieved, lock the HQ.

For support units that are surplus to this plan, I work them to divisional level as possible.

BTW, can't quite predict when the auto assignment of SUs is complete. Always seems that AGN, AGC get it done before AGS. But this may be affected by distance from rail, etc. Not sure, though.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Gabriel, I think you have the interpretation of that rule wrong. That is talking about the fact that Army, Army Group and Corps HQ units which are not locked can receive engineer SUs during the inter-turn by way of the AI. Engineer units are the only type that can override the support level setting. As an example let's say you have STAVKA build a bunch of sappers one turn, and set the Urals Military District Support Level to zero. In theory, you are saying I want zero SUs in the UMD. But what will happen is potentially during the inter-turn the AI will pull up to 4 of those sapper regiments from STAVKA and assign them to the UMD. The only way you tell the AI not to do this is lock the UMD HQ when it has no SUs assigned.

Tarhunnas is talking about manually assigning up to three SUs to a rifle/cav/tank corps once they are buildable. That has nothing to do with 7.6.3.3.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

In practice as long as you do not have more than 3 sappers in army ,you are not going to receive sappers from army , you are going
to get them from stavka.

The exces suport units move first( manualy or not ), Stawka is always in exces, since his default seting is zero .

Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Support unit assignments & their effects is interesting...

My approach is to get pretty much 1 of everything to the corps, drain army & army groups of all and wheel OKH around to serve detail refinements at the various corps HQs. Do this by setting the support levels to 1s at corps & zeroes at army/army group. OKH 9. When so achieved, lock the HQ.

For support units that are surplus to this plan, I work them to divisional level as possible.

BTW, can't quite predict when the auto assignment of SUs is complete. Always seems that AGN, AGC get it done before AGS. But this may be affected by distance from rail, etc. Not sure, though.

Since germans have around 3 arty units / corps ,that leaves you with 100 arty batalions in
OKH that you need to asign manualy .

that is to much arty sitting idle for my taste .
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Right, 100 unassigned arty would disturb me too. Hmmm... I, too, get 3 arty per HQ through manual assignments (should have said so at 1st) but after that I have only one gun Bn still in OKH... lots of Flak Bns available too. Would like to get all surplus support units assigned to divisions, eventually.

Not sure how much all this is worth at combat resolution time... experimented and learned some arty & flak is always better than no arty & flak, but not all Bns available are always used...

BTW, most of the scenarios I've played start with some silly SU assignments, so some plan to re-assign is necessary.
DorianGray

Post by DorianGray »

For the German Army Corps, I try to adhere to the following template:

1 Gun Battalion (105mm)
1 Howitzer Battalion (155mm)
1 Howitzer Battalion (210mm)
1 AA
1 Pioneer
1 Construction

The other "heavy" arty are assigned & rotated based on need - i.e. Leningrad, Sevastopol, etc
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

ORIGINAL: DorianGray

For the German Army Corps, I try to adhere to the following template:

1 Gun Battalion (105mm)
1 Howitzer Battalion (155mm)
1 Howitzer Battalion (210mm)
1 AA
1 Pioneer
1 Construction

The other "heavy" arty are assigned & rotated based on need - i.e. Leningrad, Sevastopol, etc

That is more or less ,the way I set them up too , except that I give them another AA company,
and remove all the construction units in turn 7-9 .

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”