Age of Wonders III

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Age of Wonders III

Post by Kuokkanen »

This game has come available for download just hours ago in Good Old Games and Steam. I have got it and it looks like best fantasy strategy game ever. Do you agree?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Greybriar

RE: Age of Wonders III

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

This game has come available for download just hours ago in Good Old Games and Steam. I have got it and it looks like best fantasy strategy game ever. Do you agree?

Maybe not the "best fantasy strategy game ever" (I still reserve that title for Master of Magic), but the best one I've seen lately.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Maybe not the "best fantasy strategy game ever" (I still reserve that title for Master of Magic), but the best one I've seen lately.
Maybe not the "best fantasy strategy game ever" (I still reserve that title for Master of Magic),

I agree I haven't seen anything even close to being as good as Master of Magic it is a classic that will reign in infamy. [&o]
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Age of Wonders III on my short list of games to pick up. Enjoyed all of them to date. Master of Magic is the classic.
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I like those type of games, i think i will wait til on sale. Since i am playing ESO atm.
mllange

Post by mllange »

What is ESO?
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I picked up AoW 3 last night and spent 3 or so hours in a random scenario. I am impressed so far. I loved AoW: Shadow Magic and this is a good follow up, albeit with less races to choose from.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Yes, but now we have character classes to go with the leaders and heroes. Actually, I kinda liked the historical explanation for only 1 elf race: wood elves and dark elves got together, decided to make love instead war, and declared their common children as new high elves. This game certainly breaks long standing fantasy traditions:
Female orcs - check
Female dwarves - check
Elves with muskets, cannons, and... SAY WHAT!!?

Attachments
elf_musket.jpg
elf_musket.jpg (101.89 KiB) Viewed 264 times
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

There are absolutely great new things about this game. One thing that boggled my mind was seeing a Goblin Succubus...(vomit sounds)
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: nim8or

What is ESO?

I think Elder Scrolls Online.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

ORIGINAL: nim8or

What is ESO?

I think Elder Scrolls Online.

That is correct, its pretty good MMORPG. Only if you like roleplaying :)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yes, but now we have character classes to go with the leaders and heroes. Actually, I kinda liked the historical explanation for only 1 elf race: wood elves and dark elves got together, decided to make love instead war, and declared their common children as new high elves. This game certainly breaks long standing fantasy traditions:
Female orcs - check
Female dwarves - check
Elves with muskets, cannons, and... SAY WHAT!!?

I don't like the new steam punk characters or factions. I didn't like it in Dungeon Siege and I certainly don't like it in AOW. There is one thing you all should know though.
There is a 3rd party activation DRM process "outside" of steam that you have to link your steam account (credentials included) to be able to activate your account to play it. I'd be leary of that right off the bat because that just opens the door for another possible security breach to your account information. Not saying it will happen just be wary that it just makes it more possible.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Great game, spent many a hour playing it.
ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

I picked up AoW 3 last night and spent 3 or so hours in a random scenario. I am impressed so far. I loved AoW: Shadow Magic and this is a good follow up, albeit with less races to choose from.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I don't like the new steam punk characters or factions.
As my littlebrother said about that and elves: "No... I don't want imagine it"
There is one thing you all should know though.
There is a 3rd party activation DRM process "outside" of steam that you have to link your steam account (credentials included) to be able to activate your account to play it. I'd be leary of that right off the bat because that just opens the door for another possible security breach to your account information. Not saying it will happen just be wary that it just makes it more possible.
Game is also available from Good Old Games without any DRM connected to it, so you don't have to worry about Steam if you don't want to. Game still requires account registration with developer's server, but only for multiplayer. Single player can be played without account and likely without Internet connection.

[edit]
By the way, muskets can be fired only once in turn and it takes whole next turn to reload them. Archer units can fire bows up to 3 times (depending how much they move first) every turn. Most of non-archer units can make ranged attack (blowpipe, rocks, light crossbow etc.) once in turn.

MekWars
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

The resemblance to Master of Magic is hardly a coincidence, as the AOW series has always been about trying to capture that Fantasy 4x subgenre.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

The resemblance to Master of Magic is hardly a coincidence, as the AOW series has always been about trying to capture that Fantasy 4x subgenre.

That is quite true. It is equally true that none of them ever have.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
WarHunter

Post by WarHunter »

Shadow Magic was very good. Looking forward to getting this on Steam, on sale. [:)]
“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Shadow Magic was very good. Looking forward to getting this on Steam, on sale. [:)]

Shadow Magic is very good game, i would recommend getting it instead paying 39.99 for the new one. Esp for those dont know what the game is like, so you wont be disappointed that you bought part three. Dont be fooled with those graphics, that where most customers get confused if the game is for me or not.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

I finished a long play session last evening and all and all I like it but it just feels like I am missing something, think may just be that it is not deep enough for me, that is just a personal opinion. I find the Fallen Enchantress Series to have more depth and long play value. But AOW III has much better graphics and has more "eye candy". If you like the CIV 5 series, and like fantasy, then AoW III may be right up your alley. You can also add Warlock and Warlock II to be in the same category.

a review here from IGN if you so are inclined.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/a ... s-3-review

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

The thing that irks me from the movies I've watched of people playing the game is in some battles the whole ai leaves the fort to come out and fight melee, the other is they don't focus on one unit like we do. I would of definitely had the ai focusing on the hero/leader and at least try to take him/her/it out. But, what I observed was 3 units had a chance for the leader and to kill it yet 2 of those units broke off and took shots at two other units thus eliminating none. That's bad ai programming to me and it's what I look for in most all games now. How well does it try to kill my best unit.

One thing I've noticed from reading discussions is people hate to lose their hero/leader and many times quit especially in a multiplayer games. But, I can see why because too much power is granted to heroes/leaders. If they didn't level up to extremes people would learn to play with all of their units and not be frustrated because they lost a hero or leader. I've never liked the leveling up system for units or leaders. I think a +1 here or there is ok some of the time but some of these units and leaders get ridiculous numbers sometimes.

Return to “General Discussion”