OT - GMT's A World at War

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Numdydar

OT - GMT's A World at War

Post by Numdydar »

I was thinking about picking this up and wondered if anyone here had any thoughts on the game. Somehow I am certian someone will [:D].
gravyhair

RE: OT - GMT's A World at War

Post by gravyhair »

GMT's AWAW is a fantastic game. As a lifelong player of grand strategy wargames, I've seen it all and AWAW is my favorite. It has diplomacy, research, espionage, and an excellent air-naval model. It is less granular than WiF since each turn is three months. This turns some people off. It has (IMHO) a far superior naval/air/logistics interaction. The rules seem intimidating until you actually play it, and then they prove pretty simple. One of the things I like about AWAW is that you intentionally develop your national force pool through research and production, so you can explore some fun possibilities. The oil rules are very nice. Strategic warfare is a blast. The Pacific is especially fun with a lot of poker-playing naval campaigns.

I really like WiF (and TK/DS, and SFE, and AETO/APTO, and TW, and others) but I like AWAW best.
Wise Men Still Seek Him
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I have the original Advanced Third Reich and Empire of the Rising Sun and I also liked the country specific rules depending on who claimed what. AWAW integrates the two games into a seamless one, but I never did buy it. Knew I couldn't get anyone around me to learn the system.

Where WiF really blows it away is that in A3R and EotRS, and probably AWAW, there are no specific units nor planes. Armies are generic and air strength is given in an air factor number.

Did AWAW retain its Magic and Ultra systems?

mo reb
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well Missouri if you can find me a job near you, I'd be happy to play it with you [:)]. Or anything else for that matter [:D]
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

No computer version of AWAW yet, right?

I love 3R but the board version of AWAW was overwhelming to me.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Well Missouri if you can find me a job near you, I'd be happy to play it with you [:)]. Or anything else for that matter [:D]

Where I grew up you either shot it, drank it, ran it, or ate it otherwise it wasn't worth doing and may bring the scorn of your peers. I didn't get into strategy games until I came of age, left home, and moved to st.louis for a spell. There I met a group of college kids that studied at Washington university that held regular gaming sessions. Became hooked from there. A chance encounter changed my life immensely, as it often does. Funny, they ribbed me thinking I was a complete goober until I routinely decimated their best-laid plans, and their misconceptions. Good times.

A job? How's you opossum skinnin skills?

Did you know the toothbrush was invented here? Had it been invented anywhere else it would have been called the teethbrush.

mo reb
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I trapped possiums as a kid but my skiing skills are a tad bit rusty since I became cityfied [:)]

Matrix has a game 'World at War: A world Divided' which is on sale this week. Is that based on the GMT game or comletely different?
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I trapped possiums as a kid but my skiing skills are a tad bit rusty since I became cityfied [:)]

Matrix has a game 'World at War: A world Divided' which is on sale this week. Is that based on the GMT game or comletely different?

Completely different. It is more like Axis and Allies on steroids than AWAW.

Return to “World in Flames”