Tactical planning?

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Aztec

Tactical planning?

Post by Aztec »

[font="Arial"][/font]I really enjoy FPRS for many of the reasons people have stated previously. This is a great, thoughtful game that rewards efficiency and brutally punishes mistakes. With that in mind, I wanted to start a discussion on some tactical considerations while playing the scenarios.

For example: During the initial planning stage and placement of forces, particularly in the attack do you plot your initial moves all the way through to the end so that forces are on the move, with orders, freeing command 'points' for follow on and aviation units? -or- Do you plot your advance in a series of steps, trying to maintain tighter control over your units, perhaps sacrificing speed for unit cohesion thereby providing a more powerful punch at the point of attack?

I am rapidly fostering an appreciation of 'command and control'. My biggest problem is in moving to contact while maintaining any sort of unit integrity. Consequently, units wind up separated from their HQ's, comingled with units from other commands, and when I finally make contact they have very little cohesion, and the battle degenerates into a disorganized slugfest...which I generally fare poorly in. I understand von Moltke's maxim "No plan survives contact with the enemy", but my plans rarely survive the "Start" button So while my forces flounder around trying to sort east from west I am using up orders to whip them into line...which fairly quickly leads to rockets over my head.

Do you manage your engaged forces tightly, trying to control the local battle, or do you rely on the inital orders for your lead units and reinforce/by pass them if they bog down?

Oh, and just for fun...I just finished a scenario where a single LARS unit accounted for nearly half my casualties! I sent hordes of helicopters, airstrikes and counter-battery fire after it and only was able to hit one launcher. He cut through my units like the Sword of God!!
"Man is born crying! When he has cried enough, he dies!" - Kyoami RAN
Tazak

RE: Tactical planning?

Post by Tazak »

I normally break down the battle into 3-4 phases depending on my plan, I plan the movement for the next phase and see how the battle progresses, then I either plan the next phase moves or update my battle plan and then plan the next series of moves.

If you do find your units spreading out and mixing up with other friendly forces, you can always use the OB tab to rework your command structure on the fly, I find I do it quite often with mortars, when their parent unit is either resting or pulled back due to causalities I reassign any active support units to other nearby forces.

You can also try to put delays into a units movement orders if it gets too far ahead (click on the waypoint to bring up the option for delays to each waypoint).
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as with all plans, after the first shot is fired most of your good planning goes out of the window, i normally plan a basic ambush / setup with covering arcs of fire with some good artillery placements and a fall back zone for re arm and resupply, but depending on how the enemy engage i alter to suit.

my main planning is to make sure my core units stay in HQ range
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
jenrick

Post by jenrick »

I physically keep my units close to each other. In the real world you won't often send one platoon over a kilometer away from the other members of the company except in special circumstances. This helps keep everything sorted and controllable. As far as orders go, I usually have my units in one of three distinct categories:

1) Moving to a staging position. They receive their orders to move to a position out of the main FEBA but close enough they can move to contact in 30 mins or so. These are largely set and forget orders, that aren't changed unless I have a surplus of orders to give and the tactical situation merits it.

2) Moving to combat positions. Units here are managed much more closely to ensure their where they need to be, when they need to be, and in the right stance. This is where I spend 90%+ of my orders in getting this correct and in a timely manner. Depending on the scenario most of the units may get these orders from the start button, and I have to be miserly about updating them as I go along until I start to get adequate orders. This necessitates being flexible and choosing good ground.

3) Moving out of combat to resupply or regroup. Units are being pulled back out of the FEBA as needed. This is usually a one off order, as I rarely need to pull an entire company out at once. Also the AI will do this for you if it gets too ugly. Again not a major source of orders, unless I see a major tactical need (relieving a company in place that's about to break or something).

It's critical to figure out what category a unit is in. If it's in movement to staging don't tweak it's orders unless you have a very compelling reason, spend your attention and order on those units going into combat instead.

-Jenrick

Return to “The War Room”