Dec 7th surprise

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Sabre21

Dec 7th surprise

Post by Sabre21 »

If you are playing the campaign game with the Dec 7th surprise rules on but the historical 1st turn off, what is there to prevent the Allied player from emptying out PH prior to combat resolution?

I was playing around with this some and realized you could leave all the pt boats there but remove everything else. The Jap player would then expend all that ammo on pt boats while all the Allied ships get away.

With this line of thought, the Allied player could move evry ship and probably most of his air units out of Harm's Way prior to the attack. Is there something I'm missing here?
Crazypantoufle

RE: Dec 7th surprise

Post by Crazypantoufle »

That's why many (if not most) players who start a pbem with a non historical start agree on this precious HR: no new allied TF created on day 1. And some players add even more rules like: Force Z is sent historically, limited number of non historical landing for the IJ, etc..

I agree with you: if the allied player can move all BB from Pearl, and all SS from Manilla from day 1, then in most cases non historical start would just be a "very hard mode" for the japanese player.

From what i've read from the other players, i see only one important exception: KB next to Singapore on day 1.
rms1pa

Post by rms1pa »

i always play dec7 suprise and historical start(noob), sometimes the weather shuts down the japs airstrikes anyhow. had one start only lost the nevada. even the avd preston survived.

rms/pa
there is a technical term for those who confuse the opinions of an author's characters for the opinions of the author.
the term is IDIOT.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

As has been discussed in many other threads, most players choose to fight against like minded folk concerning how the game should be played. Those that want no holes barred, seek their kind. Those that want a historical approach usually have limits on both sides as to what can be done on turn one and in other aspects of the game. If one were to play the game without any restrictions other than what the game will NOT allow, you will get some very a-historical moves. No one way is "the best" it is simply a matter of taste. If you are not into all the allied ships leaving Manila or Pearl, even if your the allied player, then you are walking the historical approach path. Even if you walk that path, very strange things can happen... all part of the fun...
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I'm in the belief that there is no wrong way to play the game as long as both players are enjoying it. There may be methods or tactics I won't use, but that's just me. I've read some pretty entertaining AAR's, some of which have used some pretty unorthodox moves, but I enjoyed reading them none the less.

Thanks for all your input.

Return to “The War Room”