Ruhr

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

Udet

Ruhr

Post by Udet »

IMO the German city "Ruhr" should be renamed. If I am right, there is a river "Ruhr" but no city with this name.
Udet
kirk23

RE: Ruhr

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Udet

IMO the German city "Ruhr" should be renamed. If I am right, there is a river "Ruhr" but no city with this name.

This can be renamed very easily.[;)]

Largest Cities

Dortmund
Essen
Duisburg
Bochum
Make it so!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Speaking of cities, I'm kind of surprised that Cherbourg isn't on the map. Fairly major port, isn't it?
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Ruhr is the name of the Region...

I agree, it could be replaced by a city of said region.
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Fred Sanford

Speaking of cities, I'm kind of surprised that Cherbourg isn't on the map. Fairly major port, isn't it?

I'm all for adding new ports etc, but the question is where do you draw the line? Cherbourg could be added very easily.[;)]
Make it so!
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Anguille

The question is what city to replace it with Dortmund?[:)]
Make it so!
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: kirk23

ORIGINAL: Anguille

The question is what city to replace it with Dortmund?[:)]
Ruhr

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the urban area. For the namesake river, see Ruhr (river). For other uses, see Ruhr (disambiguation).

Ruhr Metropolitan Region
Metropolregion Ruhr

Country
Germany

State

North Rhine-Westphalia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Largest Cities
Dortmund
Essen
Duisburg
Bochum

Government

Body
Regionalverband Ruhr

Area

• Metro
4,435 km2 (1,712 sq mi)

Population

• Metro

• Metro density
1,646/km2 (4,260/sq mi

Website
www.metropoleruhr.de

The Ruhr (German pronunciation: [ˈʁuːɐ̯], German: Ruhrgebiet), or the Ruhr district, Ruhr region or Ruhr valley, is an urban area in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.[a] With a population density of 2,800/km² and a population of some eight and a half million, it is the largest urban agglomeration in Germany. It consists of several large, industrial cities bordered by the rivers Ruhr to the south, Rhine to the west, and Lippe to the north. In the Southwest it borders the Bergisches Land. It is considered part of the larger Rhine-Ruhr metropolitan region of more than 12 million people.

From west to east, the region includes the cities of Duisburg, Oberhausen, Bottrop, Mülheim an der Ruhr, Essen, Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Herne, Hagen, Dortmund, and Hamm, as well as parts of the more "rural" districts of Wesel, Recklinghausen, Unna and Ennepe-Ruhr-Kreis. The most populous cities are Dortmund (approx. 572.000), Essen (approx. 566.000) and Duisburg (approx. 486.000). The Ruhr area doesn't have an administrative center; each city in the area has its own administration, although there exists the supracommunal "Regionalverband Ruhr" institution in Essen. Historically, the western Ruhr towns, such as Duisburg and Essen, belonged to the historic region of the Rhineland, whereas the eastern part of the Ruhr, including Gelsenkirchen, Bochum, Dortmund and Hamm, were part of the region of Westphalia. Since the 19th century, these districts have grown together into a large complex with a vast industrial landscape, inhabited by some 7.3 million people (including Düsseldorf and Wuppertal). This agglomeration is the fifth largest urban area in Europe after Istanbul, Moscow, London and Paris.

I think the Ruhr designation on the CTGW map is a fair to keep as is. The above large cities are close in population, plus they have the Regionalverband Ruhr that connects them together. When CTGW was first released the Ruhr had 9 points, which I felt was just and fair due to the importance of the region. OK, the Ruhr is not a city, but the location is important, worth defending.

and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I believe Krupp's main facilities were in Essen.
operating

Post by operating »

If the city is not relocated, but renamed, it would have to be a city to the east side of the Ruhr river.

Attachments
ctgw_1395417436.jpg
ctgw_1395417436.jpg (349.76 KiB) Viewed 73 times
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Orm

Post by Orm »

Ruhr urban area should not have its name changed from Ruhr in my humble opinion.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Ruhr urban area should not have its name changed from Ruhr in my humble opinion.

Ruhr urban area will remain,I have increased its PP to 9 to reflect the area's importance.[;)]
Make it so!
Udet

Post by Udet »

In the time the game is set there was no "Ruhrverband" or such modern things. Each city stood for it's own. "Duisburg", which became an important industrial center in the early 20th century, would have been a good name. In fact, a district of Duisburg is named '"Ruhrort" ("Ruhrtown"). If you stay with your - imo illogical - decision to name this city after a whole huge region, the correct name in German would be "Ruhrgebiet". "Ruhr" in German is the river, nothing else.

Just my two cents. I don't want to make a crusade out of it.[:D] However, as long as the A.I. is so terrible slow[>:] I will have no chance to play the game.[:(]
Udet
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

Should the Ruhr District occupy more than one hex, perhaps - maybe with a unique graphic and a possible rearrangement of those rail connections?

Attachments
Ruhr.jpg
Ruhr.jpg (593.19 KiB) Viewed 74 times
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
Udet

Post by Udet »

Tomokatu, this is a very interesting idea. The Ruhrgebiet was an important industrial region, very important for the armaments industry.

Maybe there could be a special event punishing Germany when loosing the region partially or in the whole. An other event could give Germany more ammunition as long as the Germans have the whole region under control (I feel they need some more ammo desparately).
Udet
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

I'm not sure of how the gamescale works out in terms of the number of hexes to accurately represent The Ruhr Valley industrial complex, but I suggest that rather than a bonus for ammunition for holding all (both?) hexes the LOSS of one should be represented by the destruction of factory ability or the loss of research labs. They may be able to be re-built but the prod'n points cost to rebuild and the delay in research seems appropriate.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
Udet

Post by Udet »

Maybe you are right, Tomokatu. I would be interested in what other players think about this - especially Kirk.[&:]
Udet
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

Maybe you are right, Tomokatu. I would be interested in what other players think about this - especially Kirk.[&:]
Hi Udet, I'm all for making the Ruhr area,a must hold position for the CP.I will take a look and see if the AI can be instructed to protect this vital area,I will also see if I can create some new in game event to highlight the fact.[;)]
Make it so!
Udet

Post by Udet »

These are good news, Kirk. I know you are very commited to make this game better. And I know there are many people like little Udet who have this idea ore that idea. It is really great that you are listening to all our hints, complaints and wishes. I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!
Udet
kirk23

Post by kirk23 »

These are good news, Kirk. I know you are very commited to make this game better. And I know there are many people like little Udet who have this idea ore that idea. It is really great that you are listening to all our hints, complaints and wishes. I hope we don't drive you mad some day!!!

To late I'm already nuts![;)]
Make it so!
Connfire

Post by Connfire »

What if certain hexes were dubbed city or urban hexes? Like this:

Attachments
UrbanHex.jpg
UrbanHex.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 73 times

Return to “Commander - The Great War”