Event so PO can trigger multiple events

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

ogar

Event so PO can trigger multiple events

Post by ogar »

My question is how to set up an event to trigger a set of multiple events. If Force 1 gets too far, I want the PO2 to have extra resources (but not a human playing as Force 2).

A simple outline of what I have :

Event: 101
Trigger: 1 Occupies

Event: 102
Trigger: Event Activated
Effect: News Only
Trigger Event 101

Event: 103
Effect: PO2 Activate
Trigger Event 101

Event: 104
Effect: Form'tn Orders (Force 2 Fmtn 9 Active)
Trigger Event 103

Event: 105
Effect: Form'tn Orders (Force 2 Fmtn 8 Active)
Trigger Event 103

...and so on.

Testing shows that the events work - too well. Whether a human or PO plays, the extra formations appear. This has been tested in PBEM, and PO games, and in ODD's simulator.

So why isn't the PO2 Activate working as I expect ?

(Event 102 is there because I want to be able to cancel this whole sequence under certain conditions - late in the game, etc. But that's another question. Right now, I'd like to have this function for the PO, but not for a human player.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
sPzAbt653

RE: Event so PO can trigger multiple events

Post by sPzAbt653 »

1. 1 occupies

2. News, triggered by 1

3. PO activates 4, triggered by 2

4. Event, activated by itself

Just guessing. [:)]
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ogar

My question is how to set up an event to trigger a set of multiple events. If Force 1 gets too far, I want the PO2 to have extra resources (but not a human playing as Force 2).

A simple outline of what I have :

Event: 101
Trigger: 1 Occupies

Event: 102
Effect: News Only
Trigger Event 101

Event: 103
Effect: PO2 Activate
Trigger Event 101

Event: 104
Effect: Form'tn Orders (Force 2 Fmtn 9 Active)
Trigger Event 103

Event: 105
Effect: Form'tn Orders (Force 2 Fmtn 8 Active)
Trigger Event 103

...and so on.

Testing shows that the events work - too well. Whether a human or PO plays, the extra formations appear. This has been tested in PBEM, and PO games, and in ODD's simulator.

So why isn't the PO2 Activate working as I expect ?

(Event 102 is there because I want to be able to cancel this whole sequence under certain conditions - late in the game, etc. But that's another question. Right now, I'd like to have this function for the PO, but not for a human player.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

If event 101 is triggered, it will activate all the events shown - PO or no PO. (103 is activated if 101 occurs. 104 and 105 are activated if 103 is activated). PO2 Activate is an effect. It activates whatever specified event entered in its value pane (which you didn't show).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ogar

Post by ogar »

Thanks !

@Steve, well, it is certainly testing out as though your analysis (104 activates on its own) is correct.

@ Curtis,
so a PO Activate effect activates one specific event (and only one event).  Is this correct ?  In my case, I'd have to have 103 point to 104 to be PO-activated, and have a separate 106 (another PO2 Activate) pointing toward 105 to be activated.  Right ? 
If so, that's what I was afraid of.   In the scenario there's about 12 further events (104, 105....) to be PO2 Activated.   Hmmm, I think I need to re-think how I'm doing this.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ogar

Thanks !

@Steve, well, it is certainly testing out as though your analysis (104 activates on its own) is correct.

@ Curtis,
so a PO Activate effect activates one specific event (and only one event).  Is this correct ?  In my case, I'd have to have 103 point to 104 to be PO-activated, and have a separate 106 (another PO2 Activate) pointing toward 105 to be activated.  Right ? 
If so, that's what I was afraid of.   In the scenario there's about 12 further events (104, 105....) to be PO2 Activated.   Hmmm, I think I need to re-think how I'm doing this.

No. You PO Activate one event. And let all the other events be triggered by that event.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Raindem

Post by Raindem »

I do it the way Bob suggests. If I have 50 events that control PO behavior they will key off of a single PO Activates event. Makes it easy to isolate the block.
Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Return to “Scenario Design”