Worth buying the expansions now or wait for Universe?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

lesharris

Worth buying the expansions now or wait for Universe?

Post by lesharris »

I'm new to Distant Worlds and have been really enjoying myself with just the base game so far. I'd like to get some of the new features and enhancements Shadows and the other expansions provide. I was ready to pull the trigger on all three existing expansions but then found out about the existence of Universe.

Should I just wait for Universe to get everything bundled plus the new campaign and modding stuff? If there will be some kind of discounted price for Universe if one already owns the previous expansions that would probably sway me to buy the expansions now so I don't have to wait for an unreleased product.

Just thought I'd try to get the thoughts of folks who are far more familiar than I with this game.
Mad Igor

RE: Worth buying the expansions now or wait for Universe?

Post by Mad Igor »

wait for U.
have money buy them all.
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

very hard to really make an intelligent decision. We have no idea how much Universe will cost, nor do we know how much the discount for owners of the series will be. Bottom line, in the face of no info about relative costs, do like mad igor says.
"Banging rocks together... thats the ticket to a better tomorrow."
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

You are correct about the inability to know the cost of the complete DW series in the one Universe release. I had the advantage of purchasing each, one at a time, and spreading the cost over four years. It still might be less costly to wait and get Universe(with all other expansion combined), than purchasing the three other expansions separately. Matrix knows our thought process in the decisions we are wrestling with here, so I believe they will make it reasonable to buy Universe package.

By the way, I don't think I could play the original DW without expansions ever again. I could not give up all the new features that have been added. But I guess you don't know what your are not getting, at this point. But I am glad you are enjoying it, non-the-less.
Old............but very fast
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

Had the same question...

But $100 for the full set. Is DW really worth that much? I've been gaming on PC's since 1979 and with but one exception have never seen a game retail for that much.

I've read the write-ups, reviews, features. Looks real promising but DAMN! $100????
Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress
DrApostle

Post by DrApostle »

Wait for Distant Worlds Universe to be released.

If Matrix Games was smart, they would offer a pre-purchase of Distant Worlds Universe which allowed the downloads of all the current versions for the cost of whatever Distant Worlds Universe is going to be.
JCVocke

Post by JCVocke »

$100 has been worth it for me, but like others I have spread that cost out over a long period of time. As a single payment now I'm not sure if I could justify it, so If I were just discovering the series today I would just wait for Universe.
pycco

Post by pycco »

it would depend on your situation, if 100$ is allot of money wait for Universe if not its worth it. i have put many many hours in even at 1$ an hour i have gotten my $$ worth.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
lesharris

Post by lesharris »

Thanks to everyone for their input on this. Just as a follow-up I ended up just purchasing the expansions. These days I'm fortunate enough the money wasn't a huge concern and May was longer than I wanted to wait! I'm really enjoying starting off as a normal faction in the Age of Shadows and building up my empire from practically nothing. That particular game mode is just intensely satisfying for me!

Still very much a novice but for now I'm playing with most of the 'suggests' turned on and try to manually control one aspect per game. Towards the late game I find I fully automate some of the systems I no longer want it asking me about all the time. Seems like a good approach so far. Absolutely FANTASTIC game series, I am completely sucked in.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

Say farewell to your friends and kiss your loved ones goodbye. [:D]

The game has you now... [;)]
elanaahova

Post by elanaahova »

You are now being sucked into the uber black hole of Shadows. Have fun.
"Banging rocks together... thats the ticket to a better tomorrow."

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”