Top Secret?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GaryChildress

Top Secret?

Post by GaryChildress »

Apparently this was a guarded top secret for over half a century, only released in the 1990s.

http://www.usmm.org/felknorivory.html

I have no idea why this would be a big secret so long after the war. My only guess is that it got tucked away in the dark corners of military classified archives and forgotten about until someone found it and blew the dust off the jacket. Maybe it fell between a filing cabinet or something and the cleaners came across it half a century later?

Either that or it is a massive cover-up for the real secret that the US Army made contact with aliens during WW2. [:D]

I'm wondering are these ships in AE?
BattleMoose

RE: Top Secret?

Post by BattleMoose »

Best guess is that they were hoping that the Soviets wouldn't think of putting together a similar type of taskforce, able to operate and maintain bombers in isolated bases. Cold War era, at a time when both sides were maintaining bombers in the air with bombs at all times.
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

The one photo shows a ship in the 1960's. So, apparently, this program lasted for a while after the war.

Regards,
Feltan
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Very interesting. I scanned Tracker for some of these ships and it seems the ships are not in the game.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

AFAIK there is no ship class in the game that can provide aviation support to LBA - only for float planes and flying boats. So I think those "Ivory Soap" ARU and AMU ships have been left out intentionally. Like there are no tugs, netlayers, hospital ships, reefers, water distilling ships etc. in the game because their particular roles are not modelled.

Well, at least not in stock - some mods have them. What I would do: Create ARUs and AMUs as a combination of small aviation support LCU units and associated ships with tailored load capacity - with a house rule that those ground units can only be moved by their respective ships and that the ships are only allowed to load the associated units and must not travel empty. So both associated LCU and ship must always be in the same hex. Both could move to the desired base, where the LCU unloads and does its aviation support job. If the ship is lost at sea, so will be the associated LCU. [Works fine with hospital ships in my mod, carrying LCUs with regular support instead of AV support of course.]
Feltan

Post by Feltan »

If the article is correct, the ARUs and AMUs didn't get into theater until, what, mid to late '44.

By that time, the Allies have so much stuff I would question the utility or worth of adding these auxiliary vessels. As a historical add, they might be interesting. However, by that juncture in the game (assuming the Japanese are still kicking) the average Allied player will be pressed just to find a place to park them and will pay them scant attention.

Regards,
Feltan
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Aviation support in game is better than they were in real life. In the real world, Guadalcanal was a hellish place during the battle for the island. Keeping planes operating in the primitive conditions often proved impossible despite some mechanical miracles. In one case mechanics who had never seen an Avenger before getting to Guadalcanal patched together pieces of several destroyed Avengers and made a Frankenstien with one wing a bit off kilter. It was a horrible beast to fly, but it was the only flyable Avenger for a while.

In game, you move in a couple of base forces and a air HQ or two and the Av support guys can fix anything that isn't destroyed. The service rating introduced with AE mitigates this a bit, but you can fix any plane at a level 1 airstrip with enough Av support when in reality there were a lot of planes written off at forward area strips that could have been put back together at a large rear area base with all the facilities.

Those ships provided the machine shops and such that a large rear area base had that you normally wouldn't find at a primitive front line air base. The abstraction of the game engine gives that to you automatically.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

I remember reading about a DC 2.5./ It was flying the Hump.
It turned out to be a DC3 that trashed one of its wings. They replaced it with the wing from a DC 2 thus 2 and a half.
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
czert2

Post by czert2 »

well, maybyby introduce "bonus" maininetance dificulty for low lvl airfields (say up to lvl 4) with say 200% on lvl 1 :) in future patch.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: kaleun

It turned out to be a DC3 that trashed one of its wings. They replaced it with the wing from a DC 2 thus 2 and a half.

I've read about that. The Douglas rep on site thought it would never fly because the DC-2 wing was a bit shorter than the DC-3 wing, but it did fly. I think it was the first airframe retired when new ones began arriving.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
stuman

Post by stuman »

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: kaleun

CNAC'S DC-2 1/2
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

One of the great things about this forum is the stuff I learn that I probably wouldn't find anywhere else. Thanks Gary!!!
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
bartrat

Post by bartrat »

Thanks for the story!!!!
WW2 logistics fanboy and
Rat Rancher
Rat ranching for fun and profit, had better be fun, cause there is no profit.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”