LOS higher levels, trees, level 1 buildings.

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
jonj01

LOS higher levels, trees, level 1 buildings.

Post by jonj01 »

According to the manual, a forest hex is a level 2 obstacle (e.g. "Forest hex (Level 2) on a Level-1 Hill would be a Level-1 hex but presents an obstacle to LOS of a height of Level-3.)"

However, using the map editor and doing a little trial and error on the mushroom map (i.e. GCamp 12) both the forest and level 1 buildings present at least a level 3 obstacle.

This is true of the maps done by laska and the GCamp12 map.

In all these maps a level 3 hill hex can see over a level 2 hill hex but cannot see over a level 2 obstruction (forest) on level 0 nor can it see over a level whatever obstruction a level 1 building is.

This is a serious bug in the LOS program or subroutine or whatever. If the manual is wrong and a forest hex on a level 0 hex hill is a level 3 obstruction please change the manual.

If a forest hex on a level 0 hill is a level 2 obstruction, as implied by the manual, please fix the LOS program.

thanks.
Tom Proudfoot

RE: LOS higher levels, trees, level 1 buildings.

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Hmm, I think I may have read that rule wrong. I'll check with Mark.
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

Like always thanks for your help Tom, I cut and pasted the rule right from the pdf manual. So I may have made a wrong inference of what the manual really says. The manual is kinda thin on the whole what level obstruction a level 1 building is or a forest or light woods hex, or a wheat field or crops.

You guys may have everything correct and I may just be starting a problem where there is no problem.
fran52

Post by fran52 »

I have not understood which is your wrong inference.
Could you explain?Now from level 3 the forest on level 0 don't block the los?
In the manual is written that all the building are level 1 but in the editor exist one stone building with level 2.Is also written that some hills can have level 1 or 2 but,if i'm not wrong,in the editor is also possible a level 3-4-5.
Tom,could you tell me if all this features work or not?
P.S If you remember my question on the forest,i can say you was right,with the full forest appear the polygon.

Thank you
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

Acropora has a point....sorry Tom to keep sending you bugs...but the level 3 hill hexes can't see over wheat fields....this is wrong in any universe...i don't know exactly how one sets up polygons for wheatfields..but I can't imagine laska making wheatfields a level 3 obstacle. Hopefully, this will be changed cause we now have a wealth of new hilly maps thanks to laska and all the neat LOS changes that occur with hills needs to work.

Again thanks for all your work, Tom
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Are you sure the target hex isn't lower than the origin? I just tested a level 1+ hill next to a wheat field looking over it to another hill of the same height and it's fine. But if the hill is 1 looking down to ground level then the wheat blocks it (which is correct).
jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

I just checked the mushroom map...a level 3 hex(crest) can see a ground level hex behind a plateau(multiple level 2 hex obstacles) of level 2 hexes. The logic here a level 3 can see over and behind a level 2 obstacle.
Yet what you are arguing and the LOS program displays this clearly, is a level 3 hex (crest) cannot see a ground level hex behind a plateau (multiple level 1 hex obstacles) of wheatfields on level 0. The logic here a level 3 cannot see anything over and behind a level 1 obstacle.

I'm not even referring to so called adjacent blind hexes directly adjacent and behind the obstacle. I'm talking about hexes 5 hexes back from the wheatfield. The physics and optics you use in the game is up to you and mark...
However, I see a direct contradiction in the internal logic of the game. This is a serious problem.

I cannot imagine the whole Lock'N load franchise made it this far without someone pointing out this severe problem in internal logic. So one of three things have to be true..1) the lock n'load rules are whacked 2) wheatfields are 30 feet high or 3) the LOS program for the computer game needs to be fixed.

fran52

Post by fran52 »

Also in the example here there is an error.From a level 2 the los is blocked by a oden building of level 1.

Attachments
LOS.jpg
LOS.jpg (199.68 KiB) Viewed 189 times
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

The wheat thing is fixed now, there were a few spots where it was considering level 0 obstacles to be level 1. Looking into the building thing now. Unfortunately our map with a lot of hills (Murmayev) doesn't have a lot of obstacles. [:'(]

jonj01

Post by jonj01 »

ORIGINAL: Tom Proudfoot

The wheat thing is fixed now, there were a few spots where it was considering level 0 obstacles to be level 1. Looking into the building thing now. Unfortunately our map with a lot of hills (Murmayev) doesn't have a lot of obstacles. [:'(]

Thanks for your help Tom

You can download laskas maps from http://www.mromagnani.com/?p=17, they can be used to make any maps you want. it takes about a minute to download and install all the bmp and mpp files (ASL boards #2 and #3 have a bunch of hills)

Again thanks

fran52

Post by fran52 »

The wheat thing is fixed now
This means that we must wait a new patch?Also for the problem explained in my picture?
Is important to know,because this define if some scenario with hills are possible or not.
Thank you.
Tom Proudfoot

Post by Tom Proudfoot »

Yes, it'll be in 1.09.
usgrandprix

Post by usgrandprix »

ORIGINAL: acropora

Also in the example here there is an error.From a level 2 the los is blocked by a oden building of level 1.

In the editor there are two Stone buildings
SBuild is level 2
SBuild1 is level 1

If that building is SBuild it is level 2 and should block. Maybe change it to SBuild1?

Just thought I'd point that out so you are talking apples to apples.

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”