So, took the plunge and bought it. Now I have questions...

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

terje439

So, took the plunge and bought it. Now I have questions...

Post by terje439 »

Ok, so went through the tutorials, then decided to do Bull Run scn (2 stars difficulty) as the south.
That gave me a few wtf moments I hope the people here on the forum can help me with;

1. I had a few occasions where I either attacked, lost the battle, yet the Union withdrew, or where I was attacked and won, yet my troops withdrew.
That sounds weird to me, the winning side is displaced after battle? What am I missing here?

2. Since each turn is 15 days, and each day is calculated individually, in the following situation, would I be the defender or the attacker.
I move into a empty Union province on day 7, on day 10 an Union force arrive in the same province.

3. Each brigade consits of 3 sub units with their own exp rating. Is it possible to take one sub unit from brigade A and move it into Brigade B?

4. Maybe I have just missed this one, but is there any way to make two armies co-attack (like using the army-corps function sort of thing).

5. The AI seems to send lone units into my territory all the time, I guess to raise the detection levels, but is not this a dangerous use of brigades? Seems they run the risk of getting attacked by a much larger force and be anihilated.

6. In the battle report, I see an icon for "captured troops" or something like that, yet I,ve been through quite a few battles now, and not seen anyone captured. How common is it to see captured troops in battles?

7. In tutorial 2, raising troops etc, when I was told to go into the "create a unit"-screen, I noticed that I could build two types of infantry in VA, one had 100something combat value, the other 60something, yet both were brigade size. Why this difference? They did cost different ammount of resources, so I am guessing there is a difference I am not noticing.

Well, we'll start with these, and I am guessing that I will be back with new ones tomorrow [:D]

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
OldSarge

RE: So, took the plunge and bought it. Now I have questions...

Post by OldSarge »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Ok, so went through the tutorials, then decided to do Bull Run scn (2 stars difficulty) as the south.
That gave me a few wtf moments I hope the people here on the forum can help me with;
1. I had a few occasions where I either attacked, lost the battle, yet the Union withdrew, or where I was attacked and won, yet my troops withdrew.
That sounds weird to me, the winning side is displaced after battle? What am I missing here?

It is possible that your units were suffering from a loss of cohesion. Cohesion is very important in the AGE system and very often determines outcomes.
2. Since each turn is 15 days, and each day is calculated individually, in the following situation, would I be the defender or the attacker.
I move into a empty Union province on day 7, on day 10 an Union force arrive in the same province.

It depends upon how the Rules of Engagement (ROE) are set for both sides and other mitigating factors (like cohesion). It isn't always easy to answer that situation.
3. Each brigade consits of 3 sub units with their own exp rating. Is it possible to take one sub unit from brigade A and move it into Brigade B?

No, the sub units or elements are permanently attached to their parent unit.
4. Maybe I have just missed this one, but is there any way to make two armies co-attack (like using the army-corps function sort of thing).

If I get what you're asking, then, no. You can plan to have two armies arrive at the same location at approximately the same time, but there is no easy way to directly order two armies to coordinate an attack.

However, for Corps. within the same army there is March To The Sound Of Guns (MTSG). You can use this strategically to have multiple Corps. provide mutual support. It is wonderful when it works out!
5. The AI seems to send lone units into my territory all the time, I guess to raise the detection levels, but is not this a dangerous use of brigades? Seems they run the risk of getting attacked by a much larger force and be anihilated.

Athena (the AI) does that. Yes, often she pays for it. Every now and she finds a vulnerable spot and you have to stop an offensive to go chase her down.
6. In the battle report, I see an icon for "captured troops" or something like that, yet I,ve been through quite a few battles now, and not seen anyone captured. How common is it to see captured troops in battles?

It is common to see captured troop and equipment. It does depend upon the type of combat and the results. I find the larger battles and seiges are more likely to produce large results in capture troops and equipment.
7. In tutorial 2, raising troops etc, when I was told to go into the "create a unit"-screen, I noticed that I could build two types of infantry in VA, one had 100something combat value, the other 60something, yet both were brigade size. Why this difference? They did cost different ammount of resources, so I am guessing there is a difference I am not noticing.

You need to look at the composition of the respective units. Some brigades have an organic artillery battery and some have a cavalry regiment instead.
Well, we'll start with these, and I am guessing that I will be back with new ones tomorrow [:D]

You won't be alone! Some of us who've been playing these AGEOD games for awhile still have plenty of questions. [:D]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Thank you OldSarge [&o]

But since my initial questions are now answered, a new one [:D]
Played Bull Run again,captured the province around Harpers Ferry, and decided to assault the city. I wiped out the defenders, taking a few casualties myself. The battle report however reported the battle as a Stalemate.
Really, a stalemate when I killed every Northern Agressor? Is this WaD, or something weird?
I also got a stalemate report when the Army of the Shenendoah attacked a single unit, killing 1/3 of the defenders, while taking 130 out of 11.000 men in own losses.
In my book, both of those would have been victories, so, what am I missing?

Terje

OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

You're welcome! I want to make one minor correction. I said Rules of Engagement when I meant Posture. They are so closely related I often get the terms mixed up. I'm sorry if it caused any confusion.

There are many variables that go into the combat calcuations and victory determination that I can't give you a basic one size fits all answer. Generally, the game engine perfomrs a calculation based upon performance and determines the results based upon the forces involved and the losses. In short, you can win by controlling the battlefield but at such a cost that the engine will say you lost.

Here are some helpful links that explain it much better than I can:
From the AACWiki: Combat_in_the_field
From the AGE Wiki: Combat Explained
From the AGEOD Forum: Laymans Guide to Combat Resolution
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Much appreciated [:)]

Terje

terje439

Post by terje439 »

Early September 1861.

So far, I've not really built that many units, maybe a total of 12 Infantry Brigades of various kinds (quite a few in Texas as it seems I need to man the forts there since the Union is marching alot of forces around in California), 2 Cavalry Brigades and 5 Artillery batteries.

The Government has issued paper money twice, as well as using some other monetary thingy (do not recall what it was called).

Military wise, not much has happened, we have gathered our ships outside New Orleans as massed them together into a proper fleet, and our riverine vessels have gathered and formed a proper fleet as well.
We have gathered some forces in bigger units, but the lack of divisions, corps and 3 star generals means we have alot of overloaded stacks in terms of command points. We have two armies in Virginia under Beauregard and Johnston, and a few other larger units spread around in the east.

There has not really been alot of fighting, the Union has sent lone brigades in to try to take the odd settlement, but they have been defeated all along.
The last turn, McDowell bore down on a stack under Longstreet. Although our forces fought valiantly and imposed alot more casualties, as well as destroying alot of sub-units, the battle was declared a stalemate, and Longstreet had allready been ordered away from the province, so for now the Union has Leeburg(?).

Most of the armaments industry have been used to build more armaments industry.

So, the questions are as follows;
1. Using your heavy industry or what it is called here to build more industry, yeay or nay?
2. Alot of the units I can build are lower combat valued stuff, are these guys really worth it? I am talking about the 20 strength Inf Units etc.
3. Pile the ships together to form a fleet or not?
4. Is the forming of larger units which will get a negative modifier really that big a deal?
5. How much attack value would you need to take on an Union Army of say 1300 combat Value?
6. The California coloumns, am I wrong to assume they can march into Texas?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Terje

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

So, the questions are as follows;
1. Using your heavy industry or what it is called here to build more industry, yeay or nay?
2. Alot of the units I can build are lower combat valued stuff, are these guys really worth it? I am talking about the 20 strength Inf Units etc.
3. Pile the ships together to form a fleet or not?
4. Is the forming of larger units which will get a negative modifier really that big a deal?
5. How much attack value would you need to take on an Union Army of say 1300 combat Value?
6. The California coloumns, am I wrong to assume they can march into Texas?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Terje

1. It's a good idea as CSA to build some industry; the problem is alot of it can be located where the USA can take it from you. For that reason, what you can do is limited; you get more options later in 1861, check back a bit later.
2. Most units should be combined into divisions, so it doesn't really matter if that division is composed of 10 small units or 2-3 large brigades. The only difference is small units can be broken down more, and used, say, to dig trenches behind the lines or provide small garrisons. More important than size, is to consider the composition of Divisions: At least 1 Sharpshooter, 1 cav, and some artillery, but not more than 4.
3. I tend to concentrate the CSA River Fleet into one, yes. Ultimately, you will lose to USA; do not try a naval arms race, you'll lose as CSA. The only builds you should really do are BRIGS, to be sent out as Blockade Runners.
4. The modifier is a big deal; early in the game, you don't have a choice though, and if the choice is having, in one region, 4 smaller stacks without a modifier, or one big stack with a -35% modifier, you chose the latter, for survivability. Once you have Division/Corps, though, you should be able to have all armies without negative modifiers.
5. That depends on many factors: Leadership, terrain, entrenchment, unit composition. It's really too variable to answer! Generally, though, you need a large advantage if you are going to storm an entrenched army
6. The California column is large, but the problem out there is supply. Don't build too much, or your units will starve. It is not very practical for the USA to invade West Texas from New Mexico; if you burn all the stockades in West Texas, the US will have no supply source at all. It's way too much ground to build depots in. If you want to, you can create a buffer that is basically impenetrable. If the US does clear New Mexico, a better idea for US is to bring those troops to Kansas. If US wants to invade Texas, over the water is much better idea.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Good, then I am not too bad off atm [:)]
Thank you for the reply Q-Ball

Terje

Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Ole Terje got the computer running! Great! How is it working out for you?
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Ole Terje got the computer running! Great! How is it working out for you?

Quite good now that I finally got my gfx card (they forgot to put one in the machine they sent me [X(]).
A new PC means I can once more watch TV, play games etc, so being partly laid off is much easier now [:D].

I do realize one mistake I made with this PC though, and that was not placing a bigger HD in it as win8 takes ALOT of space. Guess I will have to buy a secondary one down the road as this PC is more or less full now with not alot of stuff installed (this game, World of Tanks, WarThunder, CIv5, FM2014 and Game Dev Tycoon).

Now all I need to do is figure out why this game occasionally crashes and the report files claim that there is a mem issue (with 16gigs I do not actually believe that though...).

Terje

Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Just as a note, memory issues could be related to your lack of HD space. OSs often use HD space for memory, and if you don't have enough...
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: cassmj

Just as a note, memory issues could be related to your lack of HD space. OSs often use HD space for memory, and if you don't have enough...

Yeah, I thought about that, but when I said more or less full HD, that means I still have about 25% left (I always try to keep that available), but ofc that is only some 70ish gig, so might still be the problem I suppose.

Terje

Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Since CWII is most likely a 32 bit application, it will be limited by its 32 bit nature on a 64 bit OS with 16 gig of memory, because it can only address a small portion of that memory. I think the limit for 32 bit process is 2 gig, but it might be a gig or two higher.

So I doubt that it is complaining about running out of system memory because more people would be reporting such an issue as all users would face the problem. More likely is that it might be complaining about GPU memory. You might try lowering texture size or quality if the graphics option exists.

Return to “Civil War II”