Win 8 Compatible?

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

decaro

Win 8 Compatible?

Post by decaro »

I saw "Gettysburg: Scourge of War" for sale this week by Matrix, but is it compatible with Windows 8.1?
The last OS listed was Win 7.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
histgamer

RE: Win 8 Compatible?

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

I saw "Gettysburg: Scourge of War" for sale this week by Matrix, but is it compatible with Windows 8.1?

The game came out well before Windows 8 so it was not tested for compatibility because it wasn't possible at the time, with that said I know a member of the team runs the game on Windows 8 without problems, the only issue is with a player made mod which doesn't seem to co-operate but the stock game runs on Windows 8, I cannot comment on Windows 8.1 however as he hasn't updated.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: flanyboy

The game came out well before Windows 8 so it was not tested for compatibility because it wasn't possible at the time, with that said I know a member of the team runs the game on Windows 8 without problems, the only issue is with a player made mod which doesn't seem to co-operate but the stock game runs on Windows 8, I cannot comment on Windows 8.1 however as he hasn't updated.

Tnx, but what are they waiting for as Windows 8.1 is here to stay?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

We are not aware of any compatibility issues with 8.1 and with the number of people that have the game I'm sure we'd have heard if there were :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

We are not aware of any compatibility issues with 8.1 and with the number of people that have the game I'm sure we'd have heard if there were :)

That only makes sense, but it 's hard to draw conclusions from what we don't know -- Do you have any idea how many people are running Gettysburg on 8.1?
Will it be supported even though the game officially only lists Win 7 compatibility?
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

That only makes sense, but it 's hard to draw conclusions from what we don't know -- Do you have any idea how many people are running Gettysburg on 8.1?
Will it be supported even though the game officially only lists Win 7 compatibility?

You might want to take a look at the Norbsoft forum for more information. It's a fairly active community there. Here's one thread on their tech support forum, but there are several. So it does look like folks with win 8 are playing it.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/techni ... s-8-issues

thanks,
Rick

decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Rick

You might want to take a look at the Norbsoft forum for more information. It's a fairly active community there ...

Compatibility mode should work -- I'm placing my order today!
Thanks
mbar

Post by mbar »

I have been running the Gettysburg demo on Windows 8.1. It runs fine but when I changed resolution from the default 1024x768 to my native 1920x1080 and restarted the application, the text disappeared from the menu and was replaced by brown rectangles. I changed the compatibility of the game executable to "Windows 7" and then it ran just fine after that.

Try the demo at Norbsoft and you can see it will run on your computer.
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/game/downloa ... ainmenu-69
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: Rick

You might want to take a look at the Norbsoft forum for more information. It's a fairly active community there ...

Compatibility mode should work -- I'm placing my order today!
Thanks
Great Joe let us know how you like it! Also feel free to drop over to the Norbsoft's forums, there are a lot of very knowledable people over there who would be happy to help you out with any questions you might have. [:)]
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

I play the full game on 8.1, and have had no issues, so you should be ok.
A Sharif
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

I play the full game on 8.1, and have had no issues, so you should be ok.

Gettysburg loaded quickly and the "search for latest update feature" loaded version .161, though I can't find on the game screen where the update can be verified.

I ran the compatibility wizard and my Win 8.1 wanted Win Vista SP2, so I tested it on the tutorial and it seemed to work fine with no problems in fonts.
I'm assuming if it works in the tutorial it should work in the main game, which I will get into next week.

The new interface is somewhat different than 2nd Manassas and I do miss the printed manual.
C'est la guerre.
O.Schmidt

Post by O.Schmidt »

I have german win 8.1! and I have no Problems with Gettysburg!
Ahoi Seemann
O.Schmidt
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

windows 8.1 is a dream for gamers, i play everything on it, even dos stuff with a dosbox program called doxbox game launcher, works well with any game really, have tried Vista , xp and win 7 games, not had any real issues as yet, anything that worked it older version for me when i last ran it on the operating system now installs and works fine.

issues tend to be drivers ones or hardware as the o/s works great
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
ETF

Post by ETF »

I have it with 8.1 and yes there are the odd crash more so than with our Windows 7 machines in MP games.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: ETF

I have it with 8.1 and yes there are the odd crash more so than with our Windows 7 machines in MP games.

ETF are you using any mods or just the stock game?
ETF

Post by ETF »

Yes sometimes sir (GCM).....not always though.
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

ORIGINAL: ETF

Yes sometimes sir (GCM).....not always though.

I have seen some some people report issues with Garnier's GCM mod and crashes in windows 8. Not the stock game though, or any other mods that I have heard of.
ETF

Post by ETF »

interesting..........maybe I should just uninstall the Mod all together and play the Vanilla version all the time. Thx.

Twitter
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

Working fine on windows 8.1 for me.
Lourdesman

Post by Lourdesman »

Hi Joe - The game works fine for me. I have a new HP laptop with 8 gigs ram and I have had no problems.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”