Distant Worlds: Universe screenshots revealed

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Surtur

Distant Worlds: Universe screenshots revealed

Post by Surtur »

Today we are happy to be able to show you more greatness from Distant Worlds: Universe. The screenshots posted here showcase the new 'Ancient Galaxy' storyline where you control the Freedom Alliance fighting against the Shaktur Axis in a desperate galaxy-wide battle that adds new events and technologies. They also serve as an example of what can be achieved with the new modding tools.

Distant Worlds: Universe will be a stand-alone package, including all the content previously released in the Distant Worlds series and will be the ultimate Distant Worlds experience.

Find out more information on Distant Words: Universe from the official Product Page.

CyclopsSlayer

RE: Distant Worlds: Universe screenshots revealed

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Looking good, looking good... now GIMME!! [X(][:D]
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

OMG WANT SO BADLY NAO PLZ K THNKS
scotten_usa

Post by scotten_usa »

Please spellcheck ITS and IT'S before release [:D]
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Some nice new info screens! Any chance we can have a look at some of the new technologies?
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

4 shots from 4 even popups,10 shots with no difference from Shadows.
basically 4 shots and you "WHOOO I'M SOLD TAKE ME NOW *showing tits*) i lost all hope in matrixanity(humanity,matrixanity(sanity) you got it,right ?riiight ?? ...i'll shut up now)
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

4 shots from 4 even popups,10 shots with no difference from Shadows.
basically 4 shots and you "WHOOO I'M SOLD TAKE ME NOW *showing tits*) i lost all hope in matrixanity(humanity,matrixanity(sanity) you got it,right ?riiight ?? ...i'll shut up now)

That is what I was thinking...but I was trying to be polite [;)]
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Not anything about modding.[8|]
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

On the one hand ... thanks Matrix for posting more screenshots for the community. [:)]

On the other hand, Mad Igor makes a valid point. The first few screenshots are sort of new but the rest are lame (either for new players or existing players). [>:]

To whoever proposed to post these, I would have said "Hold. A couple of these are cool but you need to do better for the rest".

I can see why Matrix appear to prefer not to provide any real information before release ... but the criticism it invites is self-inflicted.

Show some real screenshots:

Attachments
26A7E0398E..06ADB6DC.jpg
26A7E0398E..06ADB6DC.jpg (799.84 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that the most exciting parts of Universe are the ancient storyline and the greatly expanded modding, as well as all the various improvements in AI and other under the hood elements. As a result, screenshots both in this batch and on our product page (if you haven't seen it yet, look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/515 ... -.Universe) focus on those areas. You can see some of the new tech tree in the product page screenshots that were part of the first batch.

The screenshots are also aimed at people who have not played Distant Worlds before, since Universe is also a wrap-up release, so there will be screenshots that show areas of the game those of you who play DW are quite familiar with and which have not changed greatly. What would you all like to see in terms of screenshots from Universe? I'll see what I can do for the next batch.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Erik:

For existing players considering Universe:

1. Show fleets of multiple races squaring off in a mega Alliance versus Axis battle. For those that prefer peace, consider it a defensive battle [;)]
2. Show the Shakturi on the rampage, dominating the galaxy i.e. implying improved AI and increased difficulty.
3. Show a Planet Destroyer being built perhaps ... anything else new being worked on here?
4. Show the Xaraktor Virus Wreaking Havoc?

For new players, apply Universe updates for some of the better screenshots from past releases showing major features. For example:

1. The Victory Condition screen i.e. as per what I just posted in the Game of the Month
2. Ground Battle Screen
3. Policy Screen
4. Help Screen (maybe on the Wonders page)
5. A wide view of the galaxy map showing the epic scale galaxies (not just a small corner)
6. A Planet Destroyer in action ...
7. A squadron of Silvermist in action ...
8. A game setup screen to show the variety in options

And so on ... then get rid of the screenshots that don't show anything interesting (as they don't help the cause).

And most important of all, get the best of those screenshots out to a broader market ... [:D]
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

It would be nice to hear the "under the hood" improvements if they are not important for marketing.

There are also some pretty bad bugs like up still in shadows in tech support.
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

Show us an image montage of new tech creation.

Demonstrate new beam color created via the modding tools.

If there is a modding interface for the above then show that.

Modify the range and fire rate of the rail guns so that it kinda looks like the rail gun effects from Stargate and show that.

Make some example virus tech that you can use on your enemy and show that.

Simply demonstrate the way in which a new tech is created in an image montage, flow chart or, something.

I get the notion that the event screens are modded into the scenario in your image release but, since this is a modding release shouldn't the modding process be demonstrated to a degree. Nothing major but, some demo.

This is not an attack. I look forward to the release and, I understand that the nature of the release makes demonstration difficult.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
DrWolfsherz

Post by DrWolfsherz »

Font issue not fixed - not gonny buy. Sorry!
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

no1 care,sorry.
Osito

Post by Osito »

ORIGINAL: Mad Igor

no1 care,sorry.

I don't think that's fair. This is an issue that quite a few people have raised, including me. I certainly care myself, and the development team clearly care too, as they have tried to alleviate the problem. Hopefully, if there's a DW2, they will fix this issue in that game.
Osito
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

no1 care that he will not buy it.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Thanks for the suggestions - I will aim for those with the next set of screenshots and info. I'll have time to answer some more questions this week as well, so keep an eye on this forum. Just finishing up the manual right now so that it can go to layout and print. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
Thanks for the suggestions - I will aim for those with the next set of screenshots and info. I'll have time to answer some more questions this week as well, so keep an eye on this forum. Just finishing up the manual right now so that it can go to layout and print. [8D]
Regards,
- Erik
Hi Erik!
Will we be able to limit BioWarefare technology like we can other kinds of weaponry technology?
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
DevildogFF

Post by DevildogFF »

Hmm, I'm a big fan of this game, but I'm not sure that this particular expansion is really of interest to me. Nothing screams "must have!" to me.

I'm just not seeing it.

If I buy it, it will only be for the written manual.
www.eXplorminate.co - 4X, Strategy, and Tactics

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”