Stalingrad to Berlin - Last Chance for Suggestions

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

RedLancer

Stalingrad to Berlin - Last Chance for Suggestions

Post by RedLancer »

One and All

In line with the changes that morvael is making I intend to prepare an updated version of StB to accompany his future update. The major change will of course address the problem caused by a mismatch between some German Gnd Element production dates and TOE availability which causes a replacement crunch in Spring 1943.

As I am revisiting the scenario I thought I would offer the community the chance to make some suggestions on changes they believe might improve things. For example is the balance of frozen/static units and APs at the start correct. I am heavily involved in WitW so my time is precious but I am not averse to making beneficial tweaks.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
morvael

RE: Stalingrad to Berlin - Suggestions Please

Post by morvael »

I think it's worth checking Soviet city AA. I have noticed there is a lot of units assigned to Axis-owned cities (probably leftovers from '41 base) and (if I remember well) on the first turn they are moved to STAVKA plus the Axis players gets notice about them "arriving" in his log.
karonagames

Post by karonagames »

Further to our separate conversation in the other forums, I would just like to remind you about the Bucherest and Budapest garrison space issue.

I think you should use Toe% and not morale to weaken the panzer divisions. Although Morale can be recovered fairly quickly, I think it was lack of material and not lack of morale that weakened units.

Having played this scenario for 18 turns before the squad mismatch became too much to cope with, I feel that you could be more generous to the Axis in terms of the number of static units they have to unfreeze, especially as the soviets have so few static units, and the "freeze for x turns" does not work for units in contact with the enemy. This allows the soviets to put more pressure on in the Leningrad and Vorenezh areas than they were able to apply historically, and the Axis cannot respond because everything is in static mode.

If you need any help with testing, I can make myself available.
It's only a Game

Gunnodayak

Post by Gunnodayak »

Hello, Red Lancer!

I've just put on hold a PBEM campaign after the turn 5 because of that, and I am asking you if the following game update will fix that. I mean... Can we resume playing the scenario after that we will update our game with the latest version (which I hope, will also contain the "fix" you are talking about) or will we be "forced" to restart the campaign if we want the things to go in the "corrected" way?

Thank you in advance!
"The Dutch say we are brothers, and joined together with chains, but that lasts only as long as we have beavers; after that no attention is paid to us." Mohawk Leader
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I think that for data issues you need a restart.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Thanks for all the feedback - unless someone posts in the next couple of hours the chance to suggest changes is closed - I'm back to working on WitW.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
tm1

Post by tm1 »

Hi
A question for Red Lancer the update changes for your Stalingrad/Berlin scenario have they been implemented for patch 1.07.15 or they being added to the upcoming patch 1.08.
the reason I ask is im almost finished my current 41 campaign game and are thinking of playing the Stalingrad scenario
regards
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I have completed the scenario work but as the corresponding generic data changes have not yet been released it is not available publicly.

Here is the changelog:

- German Units adjusted to use new OB files which correct some of the issues with TOEs calling for elements not yet available.
- Germans weaker but higher morale (same approx. CV)
- Historic Pz strengths
- Higher HQ TOE% to reduce T1 support drain
- Moved units out of Bucharest & Budapest
- Less static units at start
- Beefed up Hex 79,17
- Updated Factories
- Removed HI/Arm Factories from captured Cities less Yugoslavia
- Added StugIIIf/g (this is an OB mismatch issue as 41 Stug Bn with IIIb runs until early 43)
- Removed 75mm AT from Rum Inf Div (OB mismatch Issue)
- Some pool adjustments

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
DrewBlack

Post by DrewBlack »

Hi

Just noticed the 4th Art division needs filling with supplies/ammo and support very low on the first two elements I feel they should be a lot higher due to the build up for offensive stockpiles.

Drew
WitE2 - Alpha Tester/Beta Tester
Wite: 1.10 Beta Tester
Wite: Lost Battles Beta Tester
WitW - Beta Tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”