Berto... Japanese bases

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

XLVIIIPzKorp

Berto... Japanese bases

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

So I found a couple flags, made 'em look like they spent the last year in New Guinea and mounted them on suitably jungle like background. A little blurring on the edges and..... is something like this what you had in mind?

junk2drive

RE: Berto... Japanese bases

Post by junk2drive »

I really like those.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: XLVIII Pz. Korp

So I found a couple flags, made 'em look like they spent the last year in New Guinea and mounted them on suitably jungle like background. A little blurring on the edges and..... is something like this what you had in mind?

Yes, more or less like that. With the identifying red more focused, not filling out the entire unit base. How well do the base edges blend in with the typical Rising Sun green terrain? It's hard to tell from your posted image without trying them out in actual use.

I guess my ideal is somewhere midway between the extremes of no bases vs. the traditional IMO garish bases (especially the Japanese ones in RS) that draw too much attention to themselves. Something that appears more "realistic", less the tabletop game look, while still allowing one to discern the units clearly.

You did a wonderful job achieving that desired effect here. Units are clear, just enough base to make it so, with bases blending in very well with the underlying terrain.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Those look really good, Gary!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

ORIGINAL: berto

Yes, more or less like that. With the identifying red more focused, not filling out the entire unit base. How well do the base edges blend in with the typical Rising Sun green terrain? It's hard to tell from your posted image without trying them out in actual use.

I guess my ideal is somewhere midway between the extremes of no bases vs. the traditional IMO garish bases (especially the Japanese ones in RS) that draw too much attention to themselves. Something that appears more "realistic", less the tabletop game look, while still allowing one to discern the units clearly.

You did a wonderful job achieving that desired effect here. Units are clear, just enough base to make it so, with bases blending in very well with the underlying terrain.

Berto

Okay, gonna work on it a bit more. Last night was a quick try. Actually somewhat disappointed with a full map, particularly night scenarios.... way too dark. More experimentation to follow. Will post some results in a day or two.

Thanks Mike and junk! More work to do though, flags are too dark on map for one.... too much time in New Guinea. [:D]
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

ORIGINAL: berto

Okay, doing a bit more blending with map colors. Unselected units have 30% smaller insignia. Thoughts?

SNLF in night action

Army during daylight

berto

Post by berto »

Looking better and better. Bases are maybe a tad too dark and/or too color saturated. Are you working on the RS Allied bases also?

I'd like to give these a try, but we're busy with other vital matters at the moment. [;)]
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Okay, doing a bit more blending with map colors. Unselected units have 30% smaller insignia. Thoughts?

I think they look wonderful [:)]

Again, I would prefer the unselected bases to be a tad more light colored as well, to make them more distinctive from selected bases.

But perhaps that is just me.
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

One more time!! [:D][:D]

More tweaking.

Berto

Colors lightened just a tad, not quite so deep. Eventually I want to have mods for most of the major powers. So yeah I'll be tweaking Allies too. Really want to redo Brits for WF and RS. Hate the roundels just have to figure what to use. Also need to rework DAK a bit before I put that one up. Was thinking of an 8th Army Cross Insignia for N. Afrika, would go with the DAK bases but I have to see what I come up with and how it looks.

Crossroads

In addition to the smaller insignia I've substantially lightened the unselected units. BTW always liked that StuG icon of yours... brings back many Panzerblitz memories.

Overall I like 'em. Think this is it for these lads. Again, comments? suggestions?

SNLF at Night

and Army in daylight
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Yeah man, that's much easier to discern the selected/unselected! Good job!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
XLVIIIPzKorp

Post by XLVIIIPzKorp »

Thanks Mike, just put up another batch for download. [:D]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”