OT-Lawrence in Arabia

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

OT-Lawrence in Arabia

Post by crsutton »

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pfire.html
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
mind_messing

RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pfire.html

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Thanks for the scolding. I know it is the Daily Mail but a search on Google will show that this story is legit and all over the British media.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

I will second the recommendation for this book. It provides a broader look at Lawrence of Arabia and puts him in context with other players. Also has good insights into the tragicomedy of insider dealing between the various imperial powers. Finally, I liked the commentary on Gallipoli and the possible, more fruitful alternatives.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.
warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Well, now I feel validated...[;)]

Sigismund of Luxemburg
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well, now I feel validated...[;)]
warspite1

Glad to be of service [;)]

catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

warspite1

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

warspite1

True...although I would even read that piece of £$%^ (well look at the pictures anyway) over the Guardian any day of the week [:)]

catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it
warspite1

Great film [&o]

jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down [:@]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Ugh on the remake.

Seven Pillars is discussed in detail in Lawrence in Arabia, including several areas where Lawrence likely strained the truth a bit in order to avoid getting into trouble with the authorities.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

Thankfully we have broadsheets.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down [:@]
warspite1

Is Rafe Macauley in it? [:D]

catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Starring Ben Affleck ?
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

warspite1

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

The large circulation figures is due to the fact that they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the population.

Just because they sell well doesn't make them good examples of journalism. Fact is (for the Daily Mail at least, can't claim any familiarity with the Sun) it thrives on controversy and sensation rather than anything resembling good journalism.

I get the feeling that you're basing your opinion off your political leanings. I'm not; my judgement of these papers is based off of their journalistic merit alone.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

What about "The Independent"??? I thought that a pretty good compromise. But to me the REAL paper is the International Herald Tribune"!!!!!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Seven Pillars is a worthy read (if not somewhat difficult). But you have to bear in mind that it is a memoir and they almost always tend to be self serving. Lawrence was an amazing man but was not above stretching the truth a good bit if it suited him.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”