monitors

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

michaelbaldur

monitors

Post by michaelbaldur »

really don´t like the way WIF have crippled the monitors, by giving then to low a movement allowance.

the can never their full shore bombardment
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
paulderynck

RE: monitors

Post by paulderynck »

I was informed this was taken into account when the counters were made. In other words, full value is the counter's shore bombardment number minus -1, in fine weather.
Paul
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

but why would they build ships that could not use it´s full capacities.

that really don't make any sense ....

have wif given them a higher value to compensate for the way the sea sections are handled
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

have wif given them a higher value to compensate for the way the sea sections are handled ? --- yes, this was a response from Harry to that same original question.
Paul
Jimm

Post by Jimm »

Funny I was pondering exactly the same subject this morning.
Bear in mind the RN monitors only had 1 turret with a pair of 15 inch guns. So in terms of effectiveness they would only be a quarter of your average battleship.
And they only did about 12 knots and were pretty unseaworthy so you couldn't realistically give them better movement.

I think they are more there for flavour than anything.
Jimm
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Without CLiF & COiF nor an oil shortage... they are OK for ASW work.
Paul
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

The monitors are one thing, and I agree with the chorus that they're only intended to be able to provide 1 shore bombardment; but WiF handles SB a bit funny anyway. From what I've read, it was the cruisers, not the battleships that provided the bulk of the shore bombardment, due to their ability to get closer to shore and be a bit more accurate. When firing at a land target, the difference between 6-8" guns and 14-16" guns really isn't all that relevant.

The counter I personally never understood was the poor old Japanese cruiser Idzumo. 3 move, 1 sb. So can never actually use it. Never quite understood what was going on there.
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The 1 sb was there so you'd know what you were giving up when using it to transport a Div.

...I guess this needs one of these... [;)]

In truth, I think originally there was a table of actual armament versus factors that was used to put the various numbers on the counters. With the Idzumo, you have to conclude that the "time on target" is so abbreviated by its cruising range, that it nets out to ineffective.
Paul
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

It serves as cannon fodder?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

The counter I personally never understood was the poor old Japanese cruiser Idzumo. 3 move, 1 sb. So can never actually use it. Never quite understood what was going on there.
Actually one of the early bugs had units like that ending up in the 3-box after RTB.

Alas for you, that bug got eradicated.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”