Some units move on their own...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gunny3013

Some units move on their own...

Post by gunny3013 »

[:)]
Terminus

RE: Some units move on their own...

Post by Terminus »

You'll have to be more specific than that. Give an example of this happening, please.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: gunny3013
I notice that some units simply disappear and reappear in new locations.
Is there a list of units that move on their own across the map and when they will move?
[ed] I responded, but since learned that the OP is a piece of utter trash. I deleted my response. I eccourage people to put Bunny3013 on the green button. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

Symon

Post by Symon »

Then play another game. You clearly don't belong here, so why don't YOU just move on. And don't let the door hit you in the butt when you leave.

Ciao. JWE [8D]
Yippy Ki Yay.
gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Symon
I notice that some units simply disappear and reappear in new locations.
Is there a list of units that move on their own across the map and when they will move?
[ed] I responded, but since learned that the OP is a piece of utter trash. I deleted my response. I eccourage people to put Bunny3013 on the green button. JWE

Then play another game. You clearly don't belong here, so why don't YOU just move on. And don't let the door hit you in the butt when you leave.

Ciao. JWE [8D]

Symon, do us all a favour and take a deep breath before clicking "Post reply".

This is far from the first time where you've decided jump into a thread and immolate yourself .
Symon

Post by Symon »

Every now and then, the game developers just have to chime in. Will we give good info, yes. Are we polite, no. You don't like what the developers think, then just push the green button and go about your business and don't bother us. any further.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Every now and then, the game developers just have to chime in. Will we give good info, yes. Are we polite, no. You don't like what the developers think, then just push the green button and go about your business and don't bother us. any further.

Ciao. JWE

The game is the collective property of the developers (well, it's GG's, but nobody here cares about copyright law). That I do not contest.

Last time I checked, however, the forum said Matrix Games at the top, not Henderson Designs.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Posssible real answers could be.

Unit withdraws and reappears with new TOE in a new location, very rare.

AI controlled units using different rules.

Fragments turn into parent units.

LCU airlifted across the map.

Should any of these not be correct a bit more info would help.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

jakla1027

Post by jakla1027 »

JeffK,

There are some US Dive bomber squadrons that show up in brisbane around Jan 42. There are units like this all accross the map on both sides of the fight that simply transfer on their own and reappear in different places undamaged and fully operational.

Not Unit withdraws and reappears with new TOE in a new location, very rare.

Not Fragments that turn into parent units.

Not LCU airlifted across the map.

It is (I guess) AI controlled units using different rules. These "rules" are not established by the players but seem to be inherantly integrated into the game. Problem arises trying to figure out the who, what, when, where, how and why of it all.

Yes I too don't understand why those air units just appear in Oz land in early 42. Considering as well when almost every other air unit or LCU in the game has to be shipped manually to wherever we want that unit to go. Thus for the units that show up in OZ land early on in game, why wasn't their a convoy set up at the game beginning that was at sea in route to OZ carrying these units? A bunch of American boy & equipment just didn't appear out of nowhere in OZ in 1942, they had to have been shipped there somehow/sometime after Dec. 7 1941
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Ciao. JWE

The game is the collective property of the developers (well, it's GG's, but nobody here cares about copyright law). That I do not contest.

Last time I checked, however, the forum said Matrix Games at the top, not Henderson Designs.

Henderson Field Designs developed the game. Matrix published it. Big difference.

And AE is not property of Grigsby. The original WitP is his. This is a new IP.
Keifer

Post by Keifer »

There are 3 A-24 squadrons that are reinforcements that arrive in Brisbane in Late Dec 41. I've never seen them move out of Brisbane on their own.

Load a new game on Dec 7 and look in the reinforcement list for USA DB.

A handful of US Units appear as reinforcements outside the USA.

Of course some US air units were formed overseas (the incarnation of VMF-214 that Boyington commanded is one I cna think of)

Not sure how the scenario designers figured out which ones.
Old School Midway Fanboy
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

That's historical documentation. Simple research.
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: jakla1027

Yes I too don't understand why those air units just appear in Oz land in early 42. Considering as well when almost every other air unit or LCU in the game has to be shipped manually to wherever we want that unit to go. Thus for the units that show up in OZ land early on in game, why wasn't their a convoy set up at the game beginning that was at sea in route to OZ carrying these units? A bunch of American boy & equipment just didn't appear out of nowhere in OZ in 1942, they had to have been shipped there somehow/sometime after Dec. 7 1941

Yes, they were shipped there. I assume these are the A-24s on the Pensacola convoy, which is in the game. I can't speak to the intent of the scenario designer in not having them in the convoy. but the meigs does have part of the 147th loaded too, perhaps the meigs that carried the A-24s also carried that unit and the game engine didn't allow them to be both loaded so some compromise had to be made. or there might be some other reason.

Edit: Nope, 147th was apparently on Holbrook with the 148th. Holbrook can't carry both in-game, so the 147th had to go somewhere, although not necessarily Meigs. So I don't have a ready back-up guess, other than "just because that's where they historically went and the scenario designer wanted that to happen."

It is (I guess) AI controlled units using different rules. These "rules" are not established by the players but seem to be inherantly integrated into the game. Problem arises trying to figure out the who, what, when, where, how and why of it all.

this has nothing to do with the AI using different rules, the same units will show up regardless of PBEM or AI, it's part of the scenario setup. And there's no mystery, one can see the units in the reinforcement track, or if one wants open the scenario editor and see them.
gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

erstad

Post by erstad »

Great, but what about all the other units that get the same sudden appearence treatment? There are Japanese units as well as other alles that get treated this way. Can't anyone address this by identifying them and giving us an idea of who and when? Why in the blaizes are these units not covered in the rules?

You'd have to be more specific about given units for anyone to speculate on an answer. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean by not covered by the rules. If they magically transport, sure, but if they are designed in the scenario then they are fully controlled by the normal rules. A scenario designer can choose to have units appear anywhere they want if it fits the logic of what they want to represent.

I would not be surprised if some of the units that might be considered to "appear", especially Japanese, might be intended to help the AI. If someone wants to make sure that a particular historical unit (like a CD unit for a particular base) shows up in that base, the scenario designer might choose to have it appear there rather than in Tokyo and let the AI ship it wherever it wants. And for a static unit (no movement allowed) that would be the only way to get it there.

gunny3013

Post by gunny3013 »

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”