riddle me this...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jcjordan

riddle me this...

Post by jcjordan »

Why would a say a 155mm(or 5-6" class) cd gun get as many or more hits firing on a ship landing troops than a ship w/ an equivalent sized gun (say 6" class) on a same ship in naval combat yet not sink it nor damage it as much while the naval combat ship can sink same ship w/ only a few hits? Seems something a bit off in damage delivered models in cd vs naval combat.
wdolson

RE: riddle me this...

Post by wdolson »

A stationary gun is far more accurate than one on a ship. The base under the gun isn't moving. They are also firing at slow moving or stationary targets.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Nothing odd at all.

1.  When was the last time you experienced the land you are standing on pitching up and down as you might when subject to see conditions.

2.  Land installations have preset range, firing solutions based on known landmarks/inflexible approach routes.  Know many well known landmarks once out at see firing at vessels which have considerable room to manoeuvre?

Historically no admiral has ever relished the thought of going up against shore guns because the advantage always lies with the land guns.

Alfred
Reg

Post by Reg »

The one thing a land installation can't do is close the range. As the target has it tactical initiative they will set the engagement range which will usually be long range (unless they are attacking the defensive installation itself).

Long range fire equates to reduced damage but at least the land installation will be able hit at those distances.
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
mike scholl 1

Post by mike scholl 1 »

A dedicated Coast Defense gun has a naval style Fire Control System..., but one which has to deal with far fewer variables than a ship mounted gun. Couple that with a range-finding system that is far more accurate (because a ship-mounted range-finder is limited in size, but a land mounted one isn't) and a well trained Coast Defense system will be about 10 times more accurate.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

Point was the cd guns were getting more hits but not sinking the ship but the naval combat while getting less hits was sinking ship, that's the strange part of it
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Not really easy to compare the two.

With combat between two SC TF you see where the shell struck, whether it penetrated, what sort of damage it caused.  One doesn't get the same detail from the landing combat animation.  Then there is the need to also factor the ballistics which will usually be different in the two different situations.

In a surface combat one sees the sinking ships.  That is not the case in amphibious operations.  Often one only finds out that a ship was sunk by CD guns some time afterwards when a confirmation is made in the CR that a vessel was sunk at a certain port 2-3 weeks previously.

Alfred
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

Taking a quick glance in the database, the 6" naval guns generally have greater penetration and often greater effect than the 155mm CD gun. But how much damage a particular hit does is largely a matter of luck. You'd have to do a lot of trials under controlled conditions to determine if naval guns actually do greater damage than CD guns.

- Mark
-- Mark Sieving
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I also think that in game you are seeing "1 unit of hits" in the tables.

A 155mm M1 "Long Tom" fires around 1 round every 1.5 minutes, manual handling most of the way.

A 6 inch guna of the types used in USN, RN & IJN ships fires 5-8 round per minute with plenty of hydraulic assistance.

Does the game replicate a higher number of rounds on target or an increased effect per round but an equivalent rate of fire???
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Gaspote

Post by Gaspote »

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I also think that in game you are seeing "1 unit of hits" in the tables.

A 155mm M1 "Long Tom" fires around 1 round every 1.5 minutes, manual handling most of the way.

A 6 inch guna of the types used in USN, RN & IJN ships fires 5-8 round per minute with plenty of hydraulic assistance.

Does the game replicate a higher number of rounds on target or an increased effect per round but an equivalent rate of fire???

The rate of fire is include in the accuracy, assuming you have more chance to hit shooting more.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”